1FZ cooling system overhaul (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.brian894x4.com
I did a complete cooling system overhaul on my '95 FZJ80. Pics and info are posted here:

ExpeditionLCMajorcoolingoverhaul

Pretty much replaced every single heater hose (expect the rear heater stuff), including PHH, thermostat, fan clutch, radiator hoses, went to a 93/94 brass radiator and new water pump.

I collected some info about the heater hoses and a few part numbers and info that some may be interested in if they're doing this in the future.

Overall, it wasn't that hard. I really took my time and I ended up replacing pretty everything, just for the heck of it. Normal temps are now about 179-181 with the highest I've seen so far being 186 while sitting idle after a long freeway drive. Everything runs great, no leaks at all, which is what I worried about most.

Sort of related, I'm curious if anyone knows if the Venezualian 80 series or the newer 105s with the 1FZ run the aluminum or brass style radiator? Especially in places like Australia and the Middle East.

nice. Temps seem very low indeed. Good. Are these from a Scangauge reader?

Nice write up. I just finished doing this PM to my 97 with 185k on the ticker.

My temps are slightly higher with 184-186 while running on the freeway and 190 if I sit at a light. I just drove from San Diego to Ventura and my scanguage read 186 the entire way.

I'm hoping the new cooling system will prolong the original HG a little longer.

thanks, yep, scangauge readings. So far ambient temps haven't been higher than about the mid 60s, so we'll see what it looks like this summer when its 90-100+.

oh, mid 60s, that is not very high. So yes, the summer will be interesting.

Nice write up,very helpful as I am getting ready to do some of the same stuff.I am going to skip the new raidatior,water pump,and some of those rear heater hoses.
I was wondering how much the clamps were from napa,those look like nice ones to use.Also did you switch from green coolant to red?(I am going to on my truck) A complete flushing of the system as opposed to just draining it would be good to get all the green out.Maybe just run some distilled water through there a coule of times,drain&fill? Do this after all new hoses are in?
thanks,John

thanks for the write up brian, I already have all the same parts you got, radiator, water pump, fan clutch, phh and fhh kits, new hoses for most everything. all this as well as spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and redoing my brakes. I am going to be having a busy summer. Reading your write up will hopefully make the cooling system rebuild a bit easier.

jon.

I've been warned to stay with the color that's in your system now whether it's green or red. I was going to change but guess I'm staying green.

Excellent write-up!

It's about time. I can't believe you did $46k worth of mod's before changing the PHH. :flipoff2:

Nice write-up.

This is a great write-up.......if you don't mind me asking, any idea what you spent on parts for this project?

That is a great writeup! I read every word and will have to do a few of those projects myself!:flipoff2: Damn you:beer:

This should be in the FAQ!

This should be in the FAQ!

x2

Having just done much of the same to my LX (except the radiator) this would have been very helpful. For those thinking of doing this, it is a GREAT time to do the starter contacts as having the starter out REALLY opens up space to get to the PHH. Also, if you are so inclined, the fuel filter is right there as well ;p

Be prepared for the hoses (all of them) to be pretty well stuck to the pipes :mad:. A small screwdriver between the hose and pipe will help break the seal on those you can get easy access to...

Thanks for the kind words everyone...to answer some of the questions.

The clamps from Napa were pretty spendy. I can't remember the exact price, but it was around $4-5 a piece. The PO had green in it. I wanted red. I had the dealer flush it last year, but they messed up the flush and ended up having to flush it out multiple times on their dime after I talked to the service manager. I then flushed it again myself just to be sure. I'm not messing around with any dealers or anyone else from now on, which is why I did all this work myself. Being able to take my time and knowing that its done right is nice peace of mind. Heck, when I pulled the starter to replace with OEM, the PO had Midas put some garbage aftermarket starter on there and they actually ran an SAE bolt through the bottom hole, blew out the threads on the starter and put a nut on the other end. Was a serious pain to get out.

The only reason I didn't do the PHH right away, was because it appeared to be in good shape and after pulling off the hoses, I probably could have gotten another few years and many miles out of them, but better safe than sorry.

As far as the money spent, I can't remember all the little parts, but the big stuff like the radiator was around $450 shipped, the water pump was around $140 and the fan clutch was around $132. Some was purchased through C-dan, some was from the local dealer, so prices will vary a bit. Thermostat was around $14, radiator hoses were around $30 total. Can't remember on the rest of the stuff. There was heater hoses, gaskets, and misc. stuff. I also picked up a reman starter for around $200. Plus the alternator upgrade for a total of about $200. So, there was definately a few bucks spent on this PM, but at least I saved on labor charges.

I'm not messing around with any dealers or anyone else from now on, which is why I did all this work myself. Being able to take my time and knowing that its done right is nice peace of mind.

:clap: - I'm with you on that whenever possible. Wanna know what the local Lexus dealership quoted me to replace the radiator cap (I was curious)? $68 bucks :eek: - $34 of that was "labor" :rolleyes:. Sad that people get bent over for $68 to replace a radiator cap. Takes what, all of 10 seconds to remove the old and put on the new? Maybe they planned to charge for the cool down time ;p

FWIW, all of the hoses I pulled, including the PHH, looked like they were in great shape so they are now in the emergency parts bin (except the PHH which I dremel'd to death :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom