1FZ burns a gallon of T5 within 1000mi, help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could not find any thread describing my issue, and this is starting to bug me.

After an oil change, my '93 will burn off a gallon of Rotella T5 within the first 1000 miles. Here's the thing, once she's refilled, she doesn't burn any at all until the next oil change. The PO had a Napa Gold filter on there and I put a K&N on at the last change. Nor I or another well respected member here has any idea why it would do this. I will say that there is a leak somewhere at the front of the block, as the block and some of the suspension/steering components are covered in oil, however a gallon is alot, and my parking spaces at home and work don't have any oil stains besides the usual small turf marks from the diffs leaking. This is also currently my only vehicle so I can't afford to have her out of commission, either with engine failure or at a shop for a teardown. I could really use some help figuring this one out.

I should also note that I do not get blue smoke from the tail pipe, but I haven't checked the plugs to see if it's definitely burning it and not somehow leaking it with no puddle on the ground.

How many quarts are you using when you fill up the crankcase for an oil and filter change? How many miles between oil changes? What weight Rotella T5 are you using?

No oil leaks anywhere?
How many miles on the engine? Not that is makes a huge difference, since the oil loss is excessive.
Just in case it burns that much oil (which I really doubt), there is a fix for it. V8 or Diesel conversion.

Oil pump seal sometimes gives us some headaches.

Most common oil leak low on front of engine is crankshaft seal. Usually do oil pump gasket at same time. If you are loosing a gallon in 1000 miles you must be burning it or leaking it. That's either a whole lot of smoke or a big enough leak to cover your entire driveway! Maybe someone is messin with you and they took it out when you were not looking. How many times has this cycle occurred?

My first guess would be that you are getting excessive crankcase pressure forcing oil past the rings. Could be a bad pcv valve? That doesn't explain high initial usage then a tapering off though.
Another is to try straight conventional Rotella. There are other car makes (my Porsche 951) that don't seem to like synthetic oil in that it is capable of getting past seals easier. Kind of a stretch but it could be getting through your valve seals easier.

217,500 and some change. And there has to be a leak somewhere in the front of the block, oil pump seal is easily possible. But my thinking tells me that if a gallon of oil is disappearing, there would be evidence on the ground at my house or jobs. And there isn't, I park in the same spaces every day. I mean buying three gallons instead of two is the temporary solution, and it could be leaking it while the truck is running only, but it's just odd that it only does it within a month of changing the oil (I average 1000mi/month), and after a refill, it doesn't do it again until the oil change.

Inkpot, with my neighbors.... I wouldn't put it past them. They really don't care too much for me, but they also know I'm quite well armed. LOL. But she doesn't smoke unless it's cold or I'm blowing it out the window :) But come to think about it, if both of those seals are bad it seems like it would be theoretically possible for it to leak that much in a month while I'm driving, and not leak in the parking spots due to the engine not running and thus no pressure. the front of the block, my tie rod, and even parts of the front axle are well covered in oil. But once the oil breaks down a little it plugs the leak up enough to maintain the level in there. Does that sound logical or is it time to put either the computer or the bourbon away for the night?

Dogfishlake, pushing oil past the rings was my first thought and still is a possible culprit in my mind due to being used to driving a much more powerful vehicle. My previous daily was a '78 Chevy K20 with a 454 and a 4 speed, and I also have a 1970 Dodge Charger that's a far from stock monster. I've never owned a vehicle with less than 8 cylinders until now. Probably a smart idea to check everything I can. Plugs, oil pump and crankshaft seal, and see if that improves things. And continue to force my right foot to be a little easier on the go pedal.

When I bought my 95 It leaked 1 qt. every 3000 mi and I had oil Caked all the way to the spare Tire. If your leaking 1 gal. every 1000 mi. even after a change your undercarriage would be like an open Tub of Grease In a very short time. :) Good Luck !

My 93 is at 270k and the oil pump seal leaked but neither crank seal was leaking. Replace the front crank seal when you do the oil pump just because you in there.

Dragos, she does this in the month following an oil change, after that nothing or not enough to notice even. If she leaked a little every month I wouldn't even think about it.

Whileempty, I think I'm going to replace the seals up front and see what happens, and continue to keep an extra gallon in the back.

Baldilocks, I'm going to clean the block off and see where the leak is coming from. Then replace the seals, thanks for the advice!

Yep, all green and full to the top. What would that be a sign of though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom