1F oil pickup/pump plumbing info needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crinkler

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi Mud,
Purchased a 40 with an engine in pieces. engine is now completed with the exception of the pump and pickup. there are two ports in the bottom of the block. one for the pump and the other is plugged off. I need to know which one is what. I will get some pics on here too if need be. this is my first 1F engine to have apart and having disassembled before I got it doesnt help. I cant find any info in the toyota engine book either?

thanks, Paul.......

This is from my build a few years ago. Not sure if this image helps or not. This is a 12/72 1 F engine.

Oil Pump.JPG

Thanks for helping me out, so it look like the oil pressure line goes in the rear port. is the front one plugged? and lastly did you have any primming issues? I read here on MUD that you need to postion the engine on TDC cylinder 4 to get it to prime. That is crazy to think that is right? pumping and restriction builds pressure, not sure why engine postion would be a factor. let me know your thoughts and thanks again.

Paul........

I read here on MUD that you need to postion the engine on TDC cylinder 4 to get it to prime. That is crazy to think that is right?

I didn't know that was the position but only that position matters for the holes in the cam journal to line up so oil can pass through to get to the rocker assembly.
"THIS" thread might shed some light.

Thanks for helping me out, so it look like the oil pressure line goes in the rear port. is the front one plugged? and lastly did you have any primming issues? I read here on MUD that you need to postion the engine on TDC cylinder 4 to get it to prime. That is crazy to think that is right? pumping and restriction builds pressure, not sure why engine postion would be a factor. let me know your thoughts and thanks again.

Paul........
I used an old screw driver that I modified to fit in the Dizzy Slot to prime the engine. The issue I had was the Mechanic (supposed Mechanic) who was helping me, never seated the distributor into the pump key properly and I seized the engine. Just be sure you seat the Distributor (Dizzy) into that key slot in the pump properly after you prime it. If I had to do it over again, I would put an oil pump gauge right on the block. There are threads out there about this as it is not an National Pipe Thread connection. It is a British Pipe Thread BPT instead. I searched and found one after the fact. Hope this helps.
1642535416428.png

Also, just found this from my notes about the proper way to seat the distributor.

1642535812224.png

Paul, just dug this up from another thread. It gives you the British Pipe Thread size for the oil pressure sending unit.

1642536315515.png

Here is the link.

Mudders, So I verified the pump pressure line to block is correct. also verfied the port next to that is the return port from the oil pressure regulator to dump back to the pan, had to make a new copper line from the block to the rocker shaft. from the info you have all helped me with I spun the oil pump while slowly turning the crank by hand. I hit the sweet spot and oil flowed from the copper line. I have never seen this primitive oiling system in all my years. Come to find out I heard a few of the V8 mpars are like this. pretty intresting for sure. Thanks to all that helped me with this, from Florida to Maine! pretty cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom