1F dieseling/detonatig on shutdown (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My girlfriend bought a 71 FJ40 with a supposedly rebuilt 1F in it. We drove it back to Oregon from Boise ID on 33's on the highway.

It runs a little hot, has an exhaust leak, but feels strong. When you shut her down, it diesels, or detonates, kind of chokes, grumbles and finally shuts down. Is that due to running hot? On the way back, had to add coolant every 100 miles due to boil over. I was thinking either a head gasket or the thermostat. Don't really care all that much as were swapping in a 3B H55F/splitcase from my rusted out BJ, just want to know whats up so I can tell the guy who wants the engine.

I remember hearing that this is sometimes caused from hotspots on the piston heads... any sort of nick or inconsistency on the head may cause a hotspot and end up denotating after shut down.

Quality of fuel makes a big difference in it as well. I try to run supreme as much as possible and my 60 doesn't diesel as much if at all when I run the supreme as apposed to regular.

Quality of fuel makes a big difference in it as well. I try to run supreme as much as possible and my 60 doesn't diesel as much if at all when I run the supreme as apposed to regular.

we always put in premium

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom