1D2 Thundercloud in a Rattle Can Spray Bomb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTV

SILVER Star
Threads
*I’m not looking for a complicated base/clear/custom mixed paint, just something reasonably close*

The goal is to paint my sliders this colour to mimic the factory running boards and match the bumpers and wheels. I need something simple and easy to find to make future touch ups easy.

I can’t seem to locate the thread now but I searched and someone on this forum a few years ago claimed that Duplicolor 1C0 was a great match.
676D6D3F-619E-460E-853B-FA7F188B21AB.jpeg

This was not my experience.
DC1AEF05-EEC6-4E7C-8EBD-D6C8073CB9B5.jpeg

It may be fairly close to the Classic Silver body colour but it’s way too light for Thundercloud. Obviously I want to get this right before I bolt them up. Any suggestions??

This thread?

I find searching Google with "the phrase + ih8mud" is the best way to search.

This thread?

I find searching Google with "the phrase + ih8mud" is the best way to search.

Ah, yep. That's the one. Definitely not Thundercloud. $45 and half a day down the drain.

Definitely more like 1F7 Classic Silver Metallic, not Thundercloud.

Why not just buy some Thundercloud cans from paintscratch.com or similar?

Definitely more like 1F7 Classic Silver Metallic, not Thundercloud.

Why not just buy some Thundercloud cans from paintscratch.com or similar?
This is the answer. Paint from there (or a similar paint shop) will match better than any off-the-shelf option and the cost is not much more than Duplicolor.

No need to try to cut corners on this, IMO. You can get actual paint match paint in a single stage rattle can that will look almost perfect and not really affect the overall job cost. A fraction of a tank of gas I bet.

Paint work is often a case where trying to save $$ bites you and causes more work - and often more $$. Do it once and do it right.

An aside: I'm still sour over 3M "bondo" label putty. I thought it was plenty good and used it prior to some work on my old Supra. It is absolutely NOT plenty good and caused hours and hours of my time and an entire layer of additional primer/paint/clear. I've very rarely looked back at fab stuff and thought: "I should have used the cheap stuff instead", but I've often thought the opposite.

Because they are more expensive, harder to get, base/clear, etc.

But now you're faced with re-sanding, prepping, cleaning, spraying all over again.

My experience with Exact-Match Car Paint | Premium Automotive Paint for Flawless Results | Easy-to-Use Auto Paint | Truck and Car Touch-Up Paint | AutomotiveTouchup - https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ has been great. Super easy to order, low cost and fast shipping. Easier than driving to any parts store.

Under $50 shipped for base and clear. Easy peasy.

1673232948749.png

This is the answer. Paint from there (or a similar paint shop) will match better than any off-the-shelf option and the cost is not much more than Duplicolor.

No need to try to cut corners on this, IMO. You can get actual paint match paint in a single stage rattle can that will look almost perfect and not really affect the overall job cost. A fraction of a tank of gas I bet.

Paint work is often a case where trying to save $$ bites you and causes more work - and often more $$. Do it once and do it right.

An aside: I'm still sour over 3M "bondo" label putty. I thought it was plenty good and used it prior to some work on my old Supra. It is absolutely NOT plenty good and caused hours and hours of my time and an entire layer of additional primer/paint/clear. I've very rarely looked back at fab stuff and thought: "I should have used the cheap stuff instead", but I've often thought the opposite.

But now you're faced with re-sanding, prepping, cleaning, spraying all over again.

My experience with Exact-Match Car Paint | Premium Automotive Paint for Flawless Results | Easy-to-Use Auto Paint | Truck and Car Touch-Up Paint | AutomotiveTouchup - https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ has been great. Super easy to order, low cost and fast shipping. Easier than driving to any parts store.

Under $50 shipped for base and clear. Easy peasy.

View attachment 3214127

I'm trying (for once in my life) to not overthink this and keep it as simple as possible. Seemed like a reasonably good idea at the time. Since the sliders are on their own the paint match does not need to be perfect. I'm positive something off the shelf exists that would fit my criteria and any difference in shade wouldn't be noticeable. It's finding that needle in a haystack of greys that is the challenge.

These sliders took every drop of two 12oz cans to make them hideous. Add another can for touch ups and I'm at $120+. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'm tempted to spend even more and just have them powdercoated. I should have purchased them raw to begin with and done that.

I'm trying (for once in my life) to not overthink this and keep it as simple as possible. Seemed like a reasonably good idea at the time. Since the sliders are on their own the paint match does not need to be perfect. I'm positive something off the shelf exists that would fit my criteria and any difference in shade wouldn't be noticeable. It's finding that needle in a haystack of greys that is the challenge.

These sliders took every drop of two 12oz cans to make them hideous. Add another can for touch ups and I'm at $120+. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'm tempted to spend even more and just have them powdercoated. I should have purchased them raw to begin with and done that.
Paint is just tough if you've got an eye for quality. If you can live with whatever then I think your plan was sound. From what I gather about you, you're probably not the person that can live with just whatever. That's a good thing.... just doesn't make life easy. :)

Let us know how it turns out and post up pictures. I was sure to paint match the bumpers, but left the sliders black. I'm anxious to see how yours turn out.

Somewhat more seriously than before ~ when weathered after brushing on Rust Bullet looks rather like hot-dipped galvanizing.

It doesn't seem incongruous for your sliders to look 'tougher' than the rest of the truck.

After staring at them in the garage for the last few weeks I decided to drop the sliders off with the powdercoater yesterday. They didn’t have an endless choice of colours to choose from but I found something close, RAL 9007 (Grey Aluminum), whatever it ends up looking like I’m going to accept the results and move on with life.

A slightly better attempt:

tempImageMxrB7N.png

The aesthetic is 100% what I'm going for.

I have a 1/2" body lift. WK offers standard and 1" BL. I chose standard, I didn't even bother to ask if 1/2" would be possible. Stupid me. The gap is pretty big, I could have almost squeezed in the 1" BL sliders.

Was the front bumper painted a darker color or is it reflecting the light differently than the metal?

Maybe? If I was concerned about an exact match I would have taken the sliders to a body shop and had them sprayed in 1D2. Powdercoat is a compromise, I’m ok with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom