1bbl carb

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mallred, Jun 19, 2005.

1. mallred

mallred

Here is the carb that was on the blown F eng from my 63 FJ45. Is there any way or should I even be considering putting this on the 78 2f ?

One reason that I am looking at the 1bbl is that the aircleaner is a oilbath.

The FJ25 manifold is really neat but ofcourse will not work with the different ports.

Did later F engines w/ 1bbl carbs have the newer ports?

Thanks Myrle

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  2. Ian Rogers

Ian Rogers

that dosen't look like the oil bath filter that i have. I would say that one good thnig about the SD-40 (toyotas name for the big window 1bbl carb) is that its simple i can take it apart and put it back on the truck in like 15-25 mins.

3. honk

honk

Media:
    Pretty sure that all of the F engines with the later ports in the head also had 2 bbl. carbs.

FWIW it's not impossible to use an oilbath air cleaner on a 2 bbl. carb. I converted my '65 to 2bbl because the original head was cracked and I had a good siamesed port head. To make the original air cleaner fit I took apart the lids of both the early oilbath and the later paper filter canisters (they're spotwelded) and tigged the later carb mounting A/C neck onto the earlier lid. It works fine and looks OEM. Didn't have to be tigged either - it could just have been brazed or tacked with a mig welder and sealed with a paintable putty. Where there's a will there's a way, right?

4. 65swb45

65swb45 Elder Statesman Supporting Vendor

Their is an adapter plate that was used in the 1968 cruisers to mount a 1bbl on the two bbl intake, from the factory. Landpimp has posted a pic of one on his 77 mtr if you want to do a thread search. I will be putting the original 1bbl back on my 68 one of these days.

That air cleaner IS from an early FJ. It has a shorter runner between the filter can and the carb neck. IIRC, it uses the 2nd and 3rd headbolts, rather than the first and second, like all the newer [and that's a relative term] oil bath cleaners.
    I would be curious if it even fit around the larger intake of a 2Fengine. Might just want to look for a 64-67 air cleaner.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.