1999 Toyota Land Cruiser - Crank But No Start (RESOLVED) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've never heard a Toyota V8, because we mainly only have diesels over here, but to be honest it sounds a bit like it's turning the engine too easily. Are you sure the timing is still right?

I did a basic visual inspection by pulling the cam covers off but might need to break her down and do a full inspection.

My friend advised me that he had multiple customers come to his shop and bring a camshaft & crankshaft position sensor from auto parts stores that is not OEM which caused a no spark issue. So he advised that I take the non OEM part back and get a OEM part and see if it will resolve the issue because the truck was running fine but sounds like my original crank and camshaft got overheated because of the temps.

I’m at the junk yard now getting a OEM one (only $5 bucks) and will also buy a new OEM one to compare the resistance.

Thanks

7A487C57-96CB-4DD3-80AC-9256BA792A23.jpeg

657DDFF6-695E-4664-97FC-AFC629202928.jpeg

E6C109E8-25E2-453E-932B-BF67BE9D51E4.jpeg

C1B267F0-F624-4056-A5BF-46468BF8BF21.jpeg

Last edited:
Well...... My day went rough. Bought another crank shaft position sensor and new battery but still my truck won't start. To make things worst, a 4x4 fell off someone truck and I ran over it with my car and threw a screw around my motor which shorten the alternator and now my IS250 battery is dead.

Any, I am convinced that my Land Cruiser has a bad fuse box. I've read a fellow Land Cruiser "Truggier" post which he too had replaced almost everything that I have done.

See his post here:
1999 UZJ100 Intermittently Drops Dead

He had already replaced:
+ Mass Air Flow sensor
+ Cam sensor
+ Crank sensor
+ EFI Main Relay
+ ECM (that's right, the main engine computer)
+ Fuel pump
+ Timing belt

So this coming weekend, I am going to find some instructions on replacing the fuse box. Hopefully it's just "Plug & Pray" type of installation. I purchased one online which has all fuses and relays attached. In addition, my replacement ECU should also arrive this week. I am going to replace the main fuse box and see if it start.

One thing to note, I had my daughter start my truck while I held the throttle opened, the truck seemed like it wanted to start and was getting spark. What I did not pay attention to, was at that time, I changed my EFI fuse from a 20-25 fuse.

Anyway, my wife has hinted I need to get it fix or start outside haha.

Good morning/good night.

Good evening,

I am going to pull everything apart this weekend, to reinspect my timing because it does not make sense that I am not getting spark and I have new camshaft and crankshaft position sensors.

I don’t mean to come off as a noob but still want to verify as you guys are more experienced with Land Cruiser’s than I.

With that being said, can someone confirm the following:
  • What timing marks should my timing belt be aligned to for a 99 Land Cruiser?
  • Does the Land Cruiser have a separate igniter?

Reason I asked about the igniter, because my Lexus LS400 & SC400 both had coil packs and separate igniters.
Thanks

Good evening,

I am going to pull everything apart this weekend, to reinspect my timing because it does not make sense that I am not getting spark and I have new camshaft and crankshaft position sensors.

I don’t mean to come off as a noob but still want to verify as you guys are more experienced with Land Cruiser’s than I.

With that being said, can someone confirm the following:
  • What timing marks should my timing belt be aligned to for a 99 Land Cruiser?
  • Does the Land Cruiser have a separate igniter?

Reason I asked about the igniter, because my Lexus LS400 & SC400 both had coil packs and separate igniters.
Thanks

Do you happen to have a spare key that is coded to your vehicle? If so, try using it and see if it starts.

Do you happen to have a spare key that is coded to your vehicle? If so, try using it and see if it starts.

Good evening,

No sir, when I had bought the LC back in 2010, it only came with 1 key. I was wondering the same thing if the key might be the issue.

I’m wondering if TechStream can validate this? I should have my cable and disk by Friday.

Thanks

Good evening,

No sir, when I had bought the LC back in 2010, it only came with 1 key. I was wondering the same thing if the key might be the issue.

I’m wondering if TechStream can validate this? I should have my cable and disk by Friday.

Thanks

I had some similar issues after working on my LX and the battery had died. Replaced the blown fuel pump fuse and charged battery and thought it would start. Battery went bad so it was replaced and the LX would turn over, but not start. I knew something was cutting off the fuel and it had to be electronic. I had a spare key at my shop and decided to give it a shot, with the notion the master key was erased in the process and the security system took over. It fired up on the first attempt with the spare, and then the master worked again afterwards without reprogramming.

Not sure about Techstream...I use a Matco Tools computer at my shop. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Try removing the battery on your transponder. My LC will only start if battery is removed from remote key.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses. You bring up some good valid points.

I only have 1 working key for my LC and a spare key FOB (from eBay) that will only unlock the doors. From my observation, when I put the key (original Toyota key) in the ignition, the red key light goes away, however that doesn’t tell me if there is an intermittent issue with the key.

So the only thing I can assume, I need my key and ECU looked at.

I am considering seeing if I can get the LC towed next month to Toyota for full diagnosis of my no starting issue. My hope is that they will come back and say I need a key or ecu.

I want to note that my check engine light remains on which is unusual. Also the battery light flashes when trying to start the LC. So it’s definitely something electrical that is the issue.

Also.....

There’s water on the passenger floor that I noticed so I am looking at trying to pull the floor back, clean up the water and disconnect the connectors and let everything air out. From what it appears, the water is coming in from the sunroof drainage.

Hopefully I can get this down by end of this month and then next month have it towed in for the full diagnosis.

Also..... There’s water on the passenger floor that I noticed so I am looking at trying to pull the floor back, clean up the water and disconnect the connectors and let everything air out. From what it appears, the water is coming in from the sunroof drainage.

Are you sure this is not the cause of all your problems? Water in the ECM can lead to all kind of trouble.

Have you looked into this?

You can blink out the CEL trouble codes with a paper clip if you don’t want to wait for techstream

Are you sure this is not the cause of all your problems? Water in the ECM can lead to all kind of trouble.
There was no water near the ECM, nor the wires associated with it. Just water on the passenger floorboard. I also opened the ECM and it was bone dry, nothing burnt or blown out nor traces of water damage.

Have you popped in a new fuel filter?
Yes, the fuel filter is a couple months old and I popped the line off to the fuel filter and fuel rail and confirmed I am getting fuel.

You can blink out the CEL trouble codes with a paper clip if you don’t want to wait for techstream
I got the TechStream but there are no codes for the ECU.

Have you looked into this?

Yes sir, I had previously explained my issue to medtro whom told me that it does not sound like I had an EFI issue. However, medtro had provided instructions on how to check my EFI which I followed and confirmed that I do not have this issue. Also, I had replaced my the fuse junction box in the engine bay but that did not resolve the issue.

So far, I've replaced the following:
- New fuel pump & fuel pump ECU
- New fuel filter (replaced 1yr ago)
- New spark plugs & coil packs
- New camshaft position sensor (replaced 2 times)
- New crank position sensor (replaced 3 times)
- New mass airflow sensor
- New/complete timing belt (3 months old)
- Replaced fuse junction box in engine bay

Since I just went back to school I'm going to have to push this off 2 weeks until I can get back to it. However, if I can find a good deal on towing, it would likely be towed to the dealers once they call me back to confirm their approach to source my issue since this truck has practically been rebuilt.

Update:

Finally found some time to reinspect my timing belt. From what I see, my timing belt is still aligned. Further inspection, I found that my crank position wire harness was ripped and grounding on the lower body of the engine. I am in the process of rewiring the harness now.

I will report back later if this addresses my issue. Please let me know if you see any issues with my timing.

Thanks

A1ED98E9-411A-415D-9F72-7DA570E0FDFF.jpeg

327814DE-11C7-46BE-BC17-64C79CF628A5.jpeg

F59313B5-48BC-4A28-AB8C-60F6C04C19F4.jpeg

E31769F7-D76E-4788-BFAB-41020DBABB91.jpeg

5555E34B-59BE-4511-AB1D-1D209AA371C9.jpeg

Update:

First, thank you to everyone whom helped me troubleshoot this issue.

My "crank but no start" issue has been resolved after rewiring the harness for the crankshaft position sensor.

As a result, I have a list of parts that I may eventually sell if anyone is interested. All parts are used and were in working condition prior to removal.

Spare used parts in-stock:
- Factory fuse box (includes all relays & fuses that are only 3yrs old)
- Factory Denso OEM camshaft position sensors (3 spares in stock)
- Factory Denso OEM crankshaft position sensors (3 spares in stock)
- Factory fuel vapor canister
- Factory mass air flow sensor (2 spares in stock)

Thanks

Congratulations! I applaud your persistence! Electrical stuff is the worst!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom