1999 Toyota Land Cruiser - Crank But No Start (RESOLVED) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 99 Land Cruiser that cranks but does not start. The issue just started last week after I tried to move my LC from the front of my house to the backyard.

Last week, I started up (cold start, well it was 70 degrees outside) drove forward and then backwards to back into my driveway. Once I got in the back of my house and stopped, the LC went silent. No hesitation, no sputter, just silence while I was stopped in "reverse". I tried to start it up 4 twice without success. When I would try to start it, I heard a lot of back pressure (back fire) so I stopped and called it a day. I came back outside the next day and it fired right up without a issue but 10 minutes later went silent, no hesitation, no sputter when it died. I then tried to restart the LC and it fired up fine but it died within 5 minutes.

So, I waited another day and it fired up but then died 2 minutes later. This time I got a "camshaft position sensor" check engine light. I ordered a replacement from AutoZone and was able to start the LC and let it idle for 20-25 minutes which it went silent again/died. This time, I had a good load on the system with the AC, radio and headlights on which remained on when the LC died. Headlights were still bright and AC was still blowing ice cold. So, I thought I might have a defective sensor and bought a OEM sensor but the LC will not start. I reinstalled the AutoZone and my original sensor and still I am not able to start.

I noticed that the "Check Engine" light would remain on but I am not getting any codes with my little cheap tester. Also, when I am trying to start, the battery light flickers. I've charged up the batter and it's still doing the same thing, no start and battery light flickers when attempting to start.

So, I went on a crazy path and checked/replaced everything:
- New fuel pump & fuel pump ECU
- New fuel filter (replaced 1yr ago)
- New spark plugs & coil packs
- New camshaft position sensor
- New crank position sensor
- New mass airflow sensor
- New/complete timing belt (3 months old)

Below is a video of the Land Cruiser. Please forward to 6:30 to hear the truck "not starting".

Thanks

Last edited:

Thanks, I'm going to keep digging as there is a lot of information on this issue but hard to pinpoint. I purchased a TechStream from online which should be here next week with the replacement ECU to replace the main computer in hopes that will help.

I've asked mechanics around my area but all are hesitate to look at it, however my friend whom has his own shop is coming up from PA to look at it. I've upload a video of my truck and will add it to my 1st post.

Thanks, I'm going to keep digging as there is a lot of information on this issue but hard to pinpoint. I purchased a TechStream from online which should be here next week with the replacement ECU to replace the main computer in hopes that will help.

I've asked mechanics around my area but all are hesitate to look at it, however my friend whom has his own shop is coming up from PA to look at it. I've upload a video of my truck and will add it to my 1st post.

Did you buy a new ecu? Used?

Did you buy a new ecu? Used?

Good morning,

Mauser, I’ve purchased one from an eBay seller called “ToyoMech”, the price was within my budget. The one I have had the RedDot.

The ECU should be here next week so I will keep everyone updated if this resolves my issue.

Thanks

7002083A-A4AF-4EC9-9EBF-D77829F5CCC5.jpeg

D7C6904D-55C3-48E0-A7CA-35E58673F392.png

Good morning,

Mauser, I’ve purchased one from an eBay seller called “ToyoMech”, the price was within my budget. The one I have had the RedDot.

The ECU should be here next week so I will keep everyone updated if this resolves my issue.

Thanks

View attachment 2009857

View attachment 2009858

Shoot. If I had seen this sooner I could have helped to make sure it was the ecu before you bought one. I have used ecus and will loan them out.

Also, did the new ecu come with a key or is it virginized? If not it will have to either be reset or have your key written to it.

Also, did the new ecu come with a key or is it virginized? If not it will have to either be reset or have your key written to it.

Darn, I wished I would have known and thought if I had a loaner to confirm that I have a bad ECU since nothing on the motherboard appears to be blown nor fried.

The new/used ECU I purchased does not have anything with it. I was hoping I could throw it in, put my key in the ignition for 30minutes and then come out to see if she will fire up.

This is new to me so I’m not sure of the true process for replacing an ECU.

Thanks

Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news, but without resetting the immobilizer or programming keys to it your used ecu won't work. I can help you though. If you are able to or know someone that can replace the chip I will send you a chip to virginize your ecu, or you could swap the chip from your old one to the new one.

If you need any help let me know. I am always happy to help another Cruiser bro out.

I was afraid that you would say that. It's hard to find a person that would be willing to touch/solder chips a car ECU in Baltimore MD. I guess my next option would be to find a locksmith that is familiar with resetting the immobilizer?

I was afraid that you would say that. It's hard to find a person that would be willing to touch/solder chips a car ECU in Baltimore MD. I guess my next option would be to find a locksmith that is familiar with resetting the immobilizer?

Yes, there are some locksmiths that will do Toyota ecus, but a lot of them will tell you it cant be done. You can call around to local places and you may get lucky. Probably wont be cheap. If you can't find someone, or if they want your first born to do it let me know. If you pay shipping both ways and are able to be without your truck for about a week I will do it for you and just ask that you make a donation to a local charity that helps out U.S. military vets.

Hey BrittonJ85, I’m going through the same thing with my ‘99 with 331k. Also, the mosquitoes are horrible in my area too;) Mine, however, after a few cranks it starts and runs fine the rest of the day.

I’ve changed everything in your list as well with additional items. I did the regulator, damper, fuel injectors, and few others. Next I’ll be checking my fuse box. I know few on here had corrosion that gave issues starting. I would check your EFI Fuse and relay. A lot of have been successful changing those out. Keep this thread updated if you figure it out.

Yes, there are some locksmiths that will do Toyota ecus, but a lot of them will tell you it cant be done. You can call around to local places and you may get lucky. Probably wont be cheap. If you can't find someone, or if they want your first born to do it let me know. If you pay shipping both ways and are able to be without your truck for about a week I will do it for you and just ask that you make a donation to a local charity that helps out U.S. military vets.

That would be a blessing if you can do it. I’m going to do a little more troubleshooting and then once I get the ECU, I will send you a DM.

Thanks

Thanks

Also that whine from the throttle position motor is normal. Mine does the same.

I’m going to take another stab. I just got this code and am going to replace the crank shaft position sensor again. The one I put in before was from a totaled Sequoia from the JunkYard.

It’s a pain in the rear to get the wire connector off from the bottom.

7155992D-029D-4BC3-9BB3-75509F6E9203.jpeg

5FAE7EE0-1D08-491B-A974-A932BBA3F23D.jpeg

7975C662-12FD-44C0-A5E3-30E346F2CF61.jpeg

You are throwing a whole bunch of money at your truck on things that may have nothing to do with your starting issue. Start simple. What changed from the last time it was running? The run down the list of fuel, spark, air.

You are throwing a whole bunch of money at your truck on things that may have nothing to do with your starting issue. Start simple. What changed from the last time it was running? The run down the list of fuel, spark, air.

Good afternoon,

The only thing that changed was the timing job that was done 3 months ago. It was only changed because I had the truck for 9 yrs and haven’t gotten around to do it. Since the timing job, it started up and drove fine.

I would have taken it to the dealers for diagnostic but it’s parked in the back of my house which a tow truck would have a hard time trying to get in the back. I’m going to try this crank shaft position sensor to see if I can get it to fire up. If it does, I’m going to move it in the front of my house incase it dies out. This way, I can be able to get it towed for diagnostic.

I will post a update soon.

I agree. I'd start with the easiest and cheapest test. Get a spark tester and see if you have a spark.

seemed to have an ok description (I didn't know they had such fancy - adjustable - ones.)

Gil

I agree. I'd start with the easiest and cheapest test. Get a spark tester and see if you have a spark.

seemed to have an ok description (I didn't know they had such fancy - adjustable - ones.)

Gil

Apology, I guess I did not mentioned that I had already checked for spark, fuel and have air. I still went ahead to replace the parts since I am a custom to dealing with interment issue at work with computer systems so I figure, start off on a clean new state.

However, I am now not getting spark to any cylinders. I’ve tried my previous coil packs but still no spark.

Thanks

Last edited:
I've never heard a Toyota V8, because we mainly only have diesels over here, but to be honest it sounds a bit like it's turning the engine too easily. Are you sure the timing is still right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom