Dodge 1999 Ram 2500 Free Spin Hub Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud,

I am taking a little brake from my main project to focus on something that has been nagging me for a long time. My trusty old 2nd gen Ram work truck's crappy always locked hubs.

I currently have redrilled ford spindles on my front axle, which has increase WMS to WMS distance by 1.5 inches. The set up is ok but for the life of me I cannot get accurate info on the axle/spindle seals. Nothing I have tried to date has worked correctly. On a fundamental level I prefer tapered roller bearings, but this set up is just such a hack job that its gotta go.

Ford stubs and spindles boxed up.

For anyone who has access to these parts and can fab and weld to cast iron you can mount chevy p30 14.5 inch rotors to these hubs, but you would need to modify the dodge knuckle and fab a caliper bracket. Honestly for those of us crazy enough to still keep these old workhorses going I would lean more in the direction of a full axle swap, just to keep everything stock and serviceable. A dana 60 from a new super duty or perhaps a super 60 would be ideal. If I ever have a workshop again this will be something i'll look at.

I am seeking an alternative, something that keep the WMS distance stock or close enough that the wheels don't stick past the sheet metal. I am going to attempt to install 2000 F-350 stub shafts along with the corresponding wheel hub assemblies. To combat the problem of the wheel lug pattern I have designed a fixture that should allow me to redrill the hub flange from the Ford to accept the 8x6.5'' pattern that the old dodges use.

I figured some of y'all would get a kick out of this since I bet I am not the only one who uses one of these rigs for dirty work. I hope I have not gotten in over my head, time will tell if my idea works.

Last edited:
Turns out that the ford unit bearing / stub shaft combo does not work with the dodge knuckles and inner C's. The U-joint alignment is wrong, something will need to be custom in this setup, which makes sense because if there was a bolt together solution for this problem it would for sure be common knowledge at this point.

The following pictures illustrates this problem.

Also the unit bearing flange spacing is incorrect to mount the stock dodge rotor behind as it, just as is done with the dodge unit bearings. I will figure out something to fix this soon.

After comparing a stock dodge wheel bearing assembly to that of a 2000 F350 I have determined that the Ford unit needs to be spaced away from the Dodge Knuckle by approx 0.605 inches.

The reverse engineering process is a little tedious, but with a good pair of measuring calipers it is not super hard. I like to draw sketches on large graph paper and verify measurements to avoid mistakes.

I did a little measuring this afternoon with my center finder calipers and came up with these part, side specific. Pictured below is the spacer for the LHS.

The other side is just a mirrored image of this part.

Once I get the ford hub mounted up, I should be able to determine how much material needs to be taken off the ford stub shaft to put the u-joint in the correct spot.

Last edited:
Project terminated.

The further I got into this the more I realized it would get out of hand. Without a lathe this was going to very hard to pull off.

Project terminated.

The further I got into this the more I realized it would get out of hand. Without a lathe this was going to very hard to pull off.

Isn't there a kit that can be purchased off the shelf already?

Yes I believe there was but I thought I could save some money by doing it myself, not possible unless you have a machine shop at your disposal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom