1999 or 2006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have two 470s in my sights. Both at about 85k miles. One a 1999 with one owner. One a 2006 with 3 owners.

Prices are within 5k of each other. Which is considered the better year?

My opinion get the 2006 for the ATRAC and 5 speed transmission.

Assuming it has a good service history.

Downside is I think 2006 may be harder to put an aftermarket stereo in.

My opinion get the 2006 for the ATRAC and 5 speed transmission.

Assuming it has a good service history.

Downside is I think 2006 may be harder to put an aftermarket stereo in.
The 1999 comes with a folder with 60 records. Last month the owner did the following work:

timing belt replaced
Radiator replaced
Cylinder head gasket replaced
New rear brake pads and rotors
...all at dealer

2006 maintenance history is thin / on third owner. Belt and pump replaced ....new tires.

The 1999 comes with a folder with 60 records. Last month the owner did the following work:

timing belt replaced
Radiator replaced
Cylinder head gasket replaced
New rear brake pads and rotors
...all at dealer

2006 maintenance history is thin / on third owner. Belt and pump replaced ....new tires.

Oof head gasket? That seems strange. And 85k miles? What the hell? Did you mean 185k?

Or was it the valve cover gasket?

85k miles. Receipt says cylinder head....
I'm no expert but I'd be wary of an LX with a head gasket replacement especially at 85k miles. Maybe the heater tees popped and he overheated it?

I'd look at the 2006 and have a pre purchase inspection done. I wouldn't be scared of a 3 owner necessarily. The timing belt will be due at 90k so that might be a bargaining point. It's like an $1100 job unless you DIY. Did you put the VIN in on mylexus and see what the dealer records were?

Description: GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD COVER - REPLACE ~|~GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD COVER - REPLACE ~|~BOTH SIDE VALVE COVER GASKET LEAKING OIL ~|~88859 V.C GASKETS LEAKING OIL 600 REMOVED AND REPLACED BOTH SIDE VALVE COVER GASKETS, REPLACED SPARK PLUG TUBE SEALS, RESEAL HALF MOONS PER CUSTOMER APPROVED.

Description: GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD COVER - REPLACE ~|~GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD COVER - REPLACE ~|~BOTH SIDE VALVE COVER GASKET LEAKING OIL ~|~88859 V.C GASKETS LEAKING OIL 600 REMOVED AND REPLACED BOTH SIDE VALVE COVER GASKETS, REPLACED SPARK PLUG TUBE SEALS, RESEAL HALF MOONS PER CUSTOMER APPROVED.
Ohhhh yeah man that's the valve cover gasket. That's all good. Common issue. Alot of folks on here had success just re tightening the bolts

The water pump and belt have been done on the 2006. Asking $24k. I can get the 1999 for about $18.5.
I mean, if it was me and I had the budget I'd go for the 2006 for that 5 speed and ATRAC. Plus I think you get some extra safety features like side air bags and stability control.

I have a 1999 and thoroughly enjoy it so thats cool too. Although I missed having atrac alot. So much that I added an auto-locker. Are you going to off road it at all?

I mean, if it was me and I had the budget I'd go for the 2006 for that 5 speed and ATRAC. Plus I think you get some extra safety features like side air bags and stability control.

I have a 1999 and thoroughly enjoy it so thats cool too. Although I missed having atrac alot. So much that I added an auto-locker. Are you going to off road it at all?
Yes. I live in southern Utah near the staircase and spend a lot of time back country.

Yes. I live in southern Utah near the staircase and spend a lot of time back country.

The ATRAC makes a big difference. I've seen it myself watching an 2001 almost walk an obstacle I couldn't get up in my 99.

I'd also do a basic test of the AHC system to see if the globes are in good shape. Look up the "ahc graduation test" and do that on both if you can. It's a simple and quick health assessment of the system. See if the AHC fluid has ever been replaced. If you plan to put a traditional suspension lift on afterwards that won't matter.

Some others with more knowledge will chime in soon I'm sure. But I would have an inspection done at a trusted mechanic and go 2006 if you can afford it. I think the ATRAC alone is worth it off road.

Last edited:
The 1999 has the rear locker. The owner of the 2006 just turned down my request for the vin.....

The 1999 has the rear locker. The owner of the 2006 just turned down my request for the vin.....

So the 1999 must be an LC and not an LX? And the locker changes everything haha. Well sorta.

Kina lame he won't let you check the VIN service records.

Edit:
Also forgot, the 2006 will have the stronger front diff

When I bought mine about 8 months ago I had a few individuals that were not comfortable sharing the vin without me seeing the car in person. I guess there is a whole thing with someone requesting the vin and then sharing that for another vehicle instead of the actual one. Not saying they aren't trying to hide something but maybe they are just being cautious?

So the 1999 must be an LC and not an LX? And the locker changes everything haha. Well sorta.

Kina lame he won't let you check the VIN service records.
Its an lx. Center lock button. Looks like the rear on my taco. Need to pay attention to where the “x” is.

99 LC owner here, my rig has been my fishing rig for 10 years and sits in the garage every winter for months on end and has never let me down. It’s got the rear locker and but has never really been challenged. As others have said the 06 gets you the 5 speed and other nice options plus a few extra horses since it’s VVTI.

You will probably be fine with either one. Both will need some base lining and TLC. A one owner with complete service records and less than 100K miles is probably pretty rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom