1999 Lx470 Overheating and Leaking Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All!

I have a 1999 LX470 with 213,000 miles.
The engine is running hot after driving about 4-5 miles.
- The Fan kicks in.
- Coolant level is in the Norm.
- No Coolant leak.
- A/C, Heater work fine.

I also noticed an oil leak on the ground where the middle area of the engine is.
- Car idles nicely
- No misfires
- No oil discoloration
- No Vibrations
- Had a recent oil change about 3,000 miles ago.

Took it to a mechanic. Mechanic said it might be a Valve Cover Leak. Still does not explain overheating.

Waiting for another mechanic to take a look at it.

Would greatly appreciate any help!

Thank you!!!!

Cooling: thermostat replacement with OEM unit, then a good burping. Can be done with hand tools, no need for mechanic with a basic socket set and pliers. Tstat is so cheap you'll pay more in labor.

Hello All!

I have a 1999 LX470 with 213,000 miles.
The engine is running hot after driving about 4-5 miles.
- The Fan kicks in.
- Coolant level is in the Norm.
- No Coolant leak.
- A/C, Heater work fine.

I also noticed an oil leak on the ground where the middle area of the engine is.
- Car idles nicely
- No misfires
- No oil discoloration
- No Vibrations
- Had a recent oil change about 3,000 miles ago.

Took it to a mechanic. Mechanic said it might be a Valve Cover Leak. Still does not explain overheating.

Waiting for another mechanic to take a look at it.

Would greatly appreciate any help!

Thank you!!!!

I don't see anything that tells me there is an overheating issue. How did you determine it was overheated?

Cooling: thermostat replacement with OEM unit, then a good burping. Can be done with hand tools, no need for mechanic with a basic socket set and pliers. Tstat is so cheap you'll pay more in labor.
Thank you!
That’s what I suspect is the problem. I’m not too handy with changing things out but I found a great tutorial on YouTube.

I don't see anything that tells me there is an overheating issue. How did you determine it was Overheated?
I don't see anything that tells me there is an overheating issue. How did you determine it was overheated?
Just bases on the Temp gauge reading. And when I pop the hood open it just feels unusually hot. I also noticed if I turn on my heaters it doesn’t get hot as quickly.

It’s hot on the dash gauge, but is it actually hot? Check with OBD2 reader. I agree with @ramangain that t-stat may be stuck and should be replaced.
I’ll have to do that.
Thank you!

I’ll post an update.

The clue here is that ”doesn’t overheat as quickly when the heaters are on.”This is a sign of radiator blockage,possibly from a previous owner adding stop leak.Thus radiator temperature readings would verify.

It’s hot on the dash gauge, but is it actually hot? Check with OBD2 reader. I agree with @ramangain that t-stat may be stuck and should be replaced.

Monitoring this via Torque Pro app or other app...So what should be the high end of temps to where you know OOH Shoot.. shut the engine off else i'll blow the head gasket you think?

Monitoring this via Torque Pro app or other app...So what should be the high end of temps to where you know OOH Shoot.. shut the engine off else i'll blow the head gasket you think?
Anything above 215-220*F would concern me enough to pull over and shut it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom