1999 LX470 HVAC Control Conversion to Land Cruiser Three Knob Style Controls (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
Yet another step in my 99 model LX470's conversion to be more Land Cruiser like.

I'm going to try converting to the three knob Land Cruiser unit. I understand this is plug and play for a non-nav 1999 model. I like the three knob style better.

I paid too much but the seller accepts 30 day returns. If it doesn't work out, I can return it. I may end up converting more of the woodgrain to the plain black finsih.

The old unit operated the HVAC. It was just the LED display and button lights that all failed.

If I were looking to buy a used LX470 that had the HVAC controls already converted to LC100 style, I think I would like it better.

Now I need to find a replacement for the non-working Nakamichi head unit.

1623929209357.png

On the head unit replacement, you’ll discover that the “usual suspects” don’t make an adapter to plug into the OE stereo connector of the early Nakamichi LXs.

@PabloCruise ’s thread is very helpful in building you own adapter, which I preferred over hacking up or splicing into the OE wiring.

On the head unit replacement, you’ll discover that the “usual suspects” don’t make an adapter to plug into the OE stereo connector of the early Nakamichi LXs.

@PabloCruise ’s thread is very helpful in building you own adapter, which I preferred over hacking up or splicing into the OE wiring.

Thanks for information. I just returned from my local car stereo store and installation center. They do a tremendous business. Always quality work. Much better quality than I could ever do. Most of their business is for big home entertainment audio/video theater rooms. They have some creative solutions that I would not normally think about. I picked out a Kenwood system with set of Rockford Fosgate (The Punch) speakers and AMP. They are already familiar with installing a system on the LX470 and I appreciate the fact they have dome some LX470 conversions in the past and know how to do a clean installation.

Here's the products involved. Note there is a chip shortage that has a lot of car audio equipment on back order. I went with items they already have in stock.

Head Unit
Kenwood DMX907S -- I plan to mount a dual USB outlet from the head unit on the blank panel on the lower right side of the center center dash console. I will use that to plug in a USB stick or to charge my tablet PC or a phone. The head unit USB outlets can charge a phone or run another accessory. So I'll be saying goodbye to my Burt Bacharach and Ennio Morricone CD collections and moving everything to MP3. My kids might actually want to ride with me now.

Door Speakers
Rockford Punch P1650 (4) -- These are supposed to fit the existing speaker enclosure boxes.

AMP for Door Speakers
Rockford PBR400X4D - this will be installed in the area where the old Nakamichi amp currently lives. We will put some feet on it or modify the original bracket so that air can circulate around it and to keep it from being on the floor We decided it will be better to have the amplifier in a relatively easy to reach place instead of burying it behind the dash.

Sub Woofer
Rockford PS-8 Powered Sub - This will be mounted on the rear floor with the speaker facing up just behind the console. I have a small powered sub installed under the passenger seat on one of my cars and absolutely love having the sub near the passenger area. I will need to find a way to use some material to cover it up so its not so conspicuous. If the location doesn't work out, I can always move it. With the drawer box and other stuff that I plan to cram in the rear, I would be burying the original sub location. The portability of a self contained powered sub gives some options for placement.

Cameras - This is new to me. The head unit supports two cameras for front and rear viewing. I really don't care about the rear camera. I have good visibility with the mirrors and have no problem backing up today. It would be nice to have a two front cameras. One to view trail scenery for recording images or video for Trails Off-road or some GAIA map with visuals. Then use the other camera to point down low to get a view of rocks or ruts trail surface that I get though having a spotter. That camera would need to be waterproof.

Rewiring
8 Gauge Amp Kit

I can't complain at all about the pricing. Actually, the prices are the same as what I'm seeing on Amazon, eBay, or Crutchfield. I don't know how they do it. Actually, for the quality of their installation, their rates are on par for the area.

Installation date is July 2nd. I can't wait.

Center controls converted to LC style.

1625277454335.png

Kenwood DMX907s -- The Fosgate powered sub control is in the ashtray area. The center 12v cigar lighter converted to two QC 3.0 recepticals.

The two USB ports in the blank plate are for Android (top) and Apple (bottom) direct connections.

1625277520669.png

Bumper mounted trail cam.

1625277746875.png

Rear cam mounted in the rear bumper.

1625277808083.png

Kenwood DRV n502 Dash Cam location.

1625277906705.png

Dash Cam view. It was almost dark outside. You can see the darkness around the controls and dash.

1625277996686.png

Trail cam view looking down through the winch shackle hole. It was dark outside at this point and required headlights to see.

1625278085819.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom