1999 LC headlight options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zooguy

SILVER Star
Threads
First off yes i used the search function and didnt see my answer.

I have the stock headlight lenses in my 99 LC and would like more output. I have been looking at LEDs with LEDS in the regular headlights do the beams wind up blinding people? I know the LX has projector style lenses and LEDs make a bad beam pattern that will blind on coming drivers. And there are several posts about that but im not finding info on Toyota Land Cruisers that have non projector headlights.

with LEDS in the regular headlights do the beams wind up blinding people?
Yes. Don’t do it.

Ive not spent much time looking into this topic, but I think there is a HID upgrade that you can do.

The LED lights were horrible. I got a set as a gift and threw them in and went for a spin around my neighborhood one evening. They seemed ok actually. The next day we had a snowstorm. I went out for a drive in the snow and was completely snow-blind. I went back to stock bulbs and drove around and despite less light output I was able to see far better.

I ended up retrofitting my headlamps with projectors and it has been one of the best bang-for-the-buck upgrades I've done. I've mentioned it in other threads but I credit the added visibility during inclement weather as preventing at least one collision with another vehicle. Because of the sharp cutoff and increased light output, you can see further in rain, snow, and fog, as well as just have more usable light output.

I replaced my high beams with a pair of the brighter Sylvania bulbs which was a nice increase.

Just did my 98, and it was the best upgrade I have ever done. Went with moritmoto projectors and DDM lights and ballast, took about 3-4 hours total and the lights have a better output than my 13 LX570

I bought new Depot 1 piece headlights and retrofitted Morimotos into them, worth every penny, will set you back over a grand though.

40067800681_a1014cfb81_h.jpg

38298359271_edcfe26a65_h.jpg

I did the www.landcruisergrilles.com Round Headlight conversion on mine and run JW SPeaker LED lights and love them! Much brighter than my original headlights and I love the retro look on the old girl, goes with the overall vibe of the build:

Melon w Prinsu.jpg

Love the look of the Depot 1-piece, just wish Mr. T hadn't switched to plastic for the lenses. Debating on eventually doing the HID conversion with the stock 98 glass lenses or going the Depot route.

Love the look of the Depot 1-piece, just wish Mr. T hadn't switched to plastic for the lenses. Debating on eventually doing the HID conversion with the stock 98 glass lenses or going the Depot route.
#MeToo

May I get more information on this set up? On the headlight do I need to cut and splice or is it plug and play? They're 3 months back order?

I did the www.landcruisergrilles.com Round Headlight conversion on mine and run JW SPeaker LED lights and love them! Much brighter than my original headlights and I love the retro look on the old girl, goes with the overall vibe of the build:

View attachment 2520032

May I get more information on this set up? On the headlight do I need to cut and splice or is it plug and play? They're 3 months back order?
If you look around Cary (I think thats his name) has a big thread on the installation and whatnot of his 7" Round Eye conversion with his grille.

Says this here on his website under the 7" Headlight page....

Electrical

Included: electrical adapter (pigtail) that uses a factory connector. No cutting of factory wires will be necessary when using this adapter. Does not include DRL adapter for the 100 series. This may not fit every Land Cruiser, although they fit most, some do rarely have different plug sizes. If installation of a relay is needed, pigtail can be cut instead of factory wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom