1999 LC Crank, No Start...Tried/Tested LOTS of things (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, thanks to everyone on this site for countless solutions to problems I've seen over the years. Despite using it as a resource frequently, this is my first post. I've been working on Toyota 4x4's for over a decade, but at the moment, I'm stumped.

1999 LC 410K miles, Crank, No Start. NO CODES. I've owned it for 6 years, and it's always been reliable, or the problems have been pretty straightforward. Initially, a couple months ago, I started it and it died within about 30 seconds. It hasn't run since. Twice on cranking, it has stumbled a little, but that's all. I'll try to list everything I've tried/tested/replaced:

I have fuel, air, and spark. Compression is acceptable for 410K and doesn't indicate a jumped tooth or other timing belt issue. Belt is current with about 40K on it.

Swapped in new battery/cranked while jumped to another truck, verifying 13+ volts
EFI fuse bypass. Has been running like this for many years with no problems.
New EFI relay
All new parts on TB assembly (Control Motor, TPS, and then replaced the whole thing with a low mile '00 Tundra TB...all the same part numbers as original)
Tried another Fuel Pump
Tested Crank and Cam Position Sensors, both squarely within range
Checked wiring to all sensors and entire engine, finding nothing wrong
Replaced ECU with pre-programmed unit, then swapped back after no change
Checked entire ECU wire harness from Computer to engine, finding nothing wrong (despite a chipmunk nest in my heater blower motor).
Security light goes off when key is inserted and during cranking (tried two keys)
Suspecting bad gasoline, I put a large bottle of stabilizer in the tank, which is full.
Pulled, cleaned and reinstalled spark plugs (which do have fuel on them after cranking)
Cleaned and inspected MAF
Tested all fuses in fuse box (engine bay), and all have voltage on both sides, except if I remove the EFI bypass and replace with a fuse...which we all are familiar with
Clamped fuel return line to make sure pressure wasn't just a little too low
Cranks but won't start in Neutral also, will not crank in any gear but P and N
I have not opened up the timing covers, but decent compression seems to indicate that is ok.

I do not have the full EFI relay bypass...just a jump wire from a hot terminal to the EFI fuse slot. However, this has worked for years, and all systems controlled by that appear to be working.

The only thing that happened since the last time it ran perfectly is that it sat for a couple weeks, and clearly the chipmunks moved in. Thus, I have looked at all wires that I can possibly see without tearing the dash completely apart. The nest was in the blower motor behind the ECU, and still there were no chewed wires anywhere around it or anywhere under the driver side dash.

I'll edit if I forgot something, but basically, I've read thread after thread and tested as much as I can think of. Any thoughts or pointers are much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Red car securtiy light on with key in ignition?

I know you did the EFI fuse bypass, but I thought that was only a temporary fix. I know you said that's worked for years, but if you're not getting a check engine light, when you turn the ignition switch to the on position, I'd say it's just time to finally replace that old fuse box.

I know you did the EFI fuse bypass, but I thought that was only a temporary fix. I know you said that's worked for years, but if you're not getting a check engine light, when you turn the ignition switch to the on position, I'd say it's just time to finally replace that old fuse box.

I don't think he said no check engine light.

I don't think he said no check engine light.
He didn't note that, but that's what I would be looking for to confirm. That has seemed to be one of the primary tell-tale signs of the failing EFI circuit.

I know you said that you tried another fuel pump, but did you confirm that it's turning on? If that circuit is open somewhere, that could be it. You mentioned something about chipmunks. Perhaps some wires were chewed apart.

Also, how long did you say that fuel has been in the tank, and at what point did you add fuel stabilizer?

I know you said that you tried another fuel pump, but did you confirm that it's turning on? If that circuit is open somewhere, that could be it. You mentioned something about chipmunks. Perhaps some wires were chewed apart.

Also, how long did you say that fuel has been in the tank, and at what point did you add fuel stabilizer?
I filled the tank a week or so before it quit running, and I put stabilizer in several days ago...less than 2 months total. The pump sprays fuel all over if I crack the fuel rail banjo...plenty of pressure. I clamped the return line hoping for a sputter and bad pressure regulator, but that doesn't seem to be it. I've checked every single wire I can possibly see without tearing out the dash at this point...no rodent damage found. It really feels like the engine is out of time electrically or mechanically, but my testing doesn't show any reason for this. Next, I suppose I'll pull the cam covers and verify timing, despite compression being reasonable.

I filled the tank a week or so before it quit running, and I put stabilizer in several days ago...less than 2 months total. The pump sprays fuel all over if I crack the fuel rail banjo...plenty of pressure. I clamped the return line hoping for a sputter and bad pressure regulator, but that doesn't seem to be it. I've checked every single wire I can possibly see without tearing out the dash at this point...no rodent damage found. It really feels like the engine is out of time electrically or mechanically, but my testing doesn't show any reason for this. Next, I suppose I'll pull the cam covers and verify timing, despite compression being reasonable.
If you're getting good fuel pressure on crank, then it seems like it has to be something restricting the spark. I would suspect a bad crank or cam position sensor, but you said those check out good. How about the coolant temp sensor that's under the intake. It thought that would cause a no-start if bad. Also, I know you said you cleaned the MAF sensor, but try unplugging it all together to see if it starts like that.

It seems like it has to be one of those sensors, bad wiring, or possibly the ECU.

He didn't note that, but that's what I would be looking for to confirm. That has seemed to be one of the primary tell-tale signs of the failing EFI circuit.
Security light goes off when key is inserted and during cranking (tried two keys)
With security light goes off when key is inserted, that means check engine light is in working order.

If you're getting good fuel pressure on crank, then it seems like it has to be something restricting the spark. I would suspect a bad crank or cam position sensor, but you said those check out good. How about the coolant temp sensor that's under the intake. It thought that would cause a no-start if bad. Also, I know you said you cleaned the MAF sensor, but try unplugging it all together to see if it starts like that.

It seems like it has to be one of those sensors, bad wiring, or possibly the ECU.
Thank you for the input, and I agree...sensor seems most likely since I've checked all wiring that I can and replaced the ECU at one point. The temp sensor seems to be the one thing I haven't tested, so I'll do that tomorrow. And, I'll try the MAF unplugged. FWIW, the ECU throws a code anytime I unplug anything with the key on, and it's always the right code. Much appreciated.

Also when you say no code are you sure you have the right reader? When I had a no start there was no CEL and the first reader the shop used didn’t show anything. He then plugged it into a computer and while trying to start the cruiser up his computer indicated the crank sensor.

Also when you say no code are you sure you have the right reader? When I had a no start there was no CEL and the first reader the shop used didn’t show anything. He then plugged it into a computer and while trying to start the cruiser up his computer indicated the crank sensor.
I've seen this as well. The crank position sensor can fail without throwing a code. It is cheap and pretty easy. Might not be your issue, but it couldn't hurt.

Thank you all very much...I appreciate the input! I'm going to replace Temperature Sensors and Crank sensor today, as all are easy and cheap...can't hurt, as stated above. I will also physically verify timing. Will update with results. Thanks again!

Well, I found the problem today...Chipmunk nest and disintegrated body parts inside the timing cover. That'll teach me to physically check such things first. Timing was off several teeth and was almost certainly walking. I reset the timing without taking the whole thing apart, but it is still walking at least a tooth per revolution...I'm envisioning the rest of a chipmunk cemented to the crank sprocket. The hope had been to get it out of the dirt and into my shop to tear it down. Guess I'll be doing the timing belt outdoors lol. Thanks again for the replies, and sorry for the trouble and not checking this sooner.

IMG_0028.JPG

Add some relish and delicious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom