1999 LC Automatic Transmission Fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

See bottom right in this illus:
attachment.php

(The pipe you see attached to the oil pan is the dip-stick pipe which is extended up to the engine compartment, which is where new fluid is poured in slowly)
A343F.jpg

Last edited:
In case you don't already know, you'll only get a small percentage of the fluid by opening the drain plug. It is possible to get most of it by turning over the engine with the drain open. You wouldn't want to start the engine, but turn it over with the ignition disabled.

After refilling, you'll need to turn it over carefully again to pump the fluid back into the torque converter, refilling as necessary. It would be wise to keep track of how much drains out.

In case you don't already know, you'll only get a small percentage of the fluid by opening the drain plug. It is possible to get most of it by turning over the engine with the drain open. You wouldn't want to start the engine, but turn it over with the ignition disabled.

After refilling, you'll need to turn it over carefully again to pump the fluid back into the torque converter, refilling as necessary. It would be wise to keep track of how much drains out.

I have another question, how can I "turning over the engine with the drain open. You wouldn't want to start the engine, but turn it over with the ignition disabled."

Thanks

If you want to do a complete exchange there are several good threads available. I've been content to do drain and fills over time.

The drain plug is pretty easy to locate at the rear of the transmission oil pan.

I have another question, how can I "turning over the engine with the drain open. You wouldn't want to start the engine, but turn it over with the ignition disabled."

Thanks

I haven't actually done it with this vehicle, so can't say for sure how to disable the ignition before cranking with the starter. On other vehicles I can pull the coil wire or some such thing.

Toyota replaced my torque converter to fix a vibration, but it wasn't a problem with the transmission. The new torque converter came partly filled with fluid because it's nearly impossible to get all of it out. I ended up getting all new fluid with the deal, so I won't be changing mine any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom