1999 land cruiser driver's side window (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there

Just arrived back after an extended overseas trip.

The driver's window got stuck in the open position and would not respond at all. Previously, when it worked, the motor sounded fine and there was no slow progress or funny noises.

This spurred me into action and I stripped the driver's door panel and inside the footwell, to find out if any wires were broken in the harness. I got tired of fiddling in the confined space and loosened the four hinge bolts, disconnected the plugs on the wiring harness and took the whole door off. Good move!

When I stripped the rubber shield, lo and behold the one blue wire was broken in two and a red wire had a crack in it.

I cut both the wires, cleaned them and crimped on two connectors. I had the heat shrink connectors and put some heat on those.

I then carefully put everything together and taped where necessary with insulation tape.

The problem of all the other windows not working from the driver's control console is now fixed - everything works 100%.

The driver's window, which was previously working intermittently, is now not working, other than some switch making a loud clicking noise.

Before I order a new window motor, please could somebody advise me if there is there is a possibility of trying anything else to get the window to at least close?

Thanks,

Moustaki

Hi there

Just arrived back after an extended overseas trip.

The driver's window got stuck in the open position and would not respond at all. Previously, when it worked, the motor sounded fine and there was no slow progress or funny noises.

This spurred me into action and I stripped the driver's door panel and inside the footwell, to find out if any wires were broken in the harness. I got tired of fiddling in the confined space and loosened the four hinge bolts, disconnected the plugs on the wiring harness and took the whole door off. Good move!

When I stripped the rubber shield, lo and behold the one blue wire was broken in two and a red wire had a crack in it.

I cut both the wires, cleaned them and crimped on two connectors. I had the heat shrink connectors and put some heat on those.

I then carefully put everything together and taped where necessary with insulation tape.

The problem of all the other windows not working from the driver's control console is now fixed - everything works 100%.

The driver's window, which was previously working intermittently, is now not working, other than some switch making a loud clicking noise.

Before I order a new window motor, please could somebody advise me if there is there is a possibility of trying anything else to get the window to at least close?

Thanks,

Moustaki
I have now replaced both the electric motor and the regulator in the driver's side door. The window works ok but with a problem that I haven't had before.

The window is not running properly in the 'u' tracks. As the window goes up it tilts forward a bit. When it gets near to the up position this pushes the window into the correct alignment for both left and right u tracks and is then seated properly.

I cannot see any adjustment for the tracks. I am wondering if this could be time to replace the rubbers in the track which I am sure are worn.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom