1999 good deal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1999 lets assume great condition and rear locker, 107K miles and the timing belt has been done (grey in color and front brush guard). Dealer wants $17500, I think I can get it for $16000. Figure if I do all of the fluids it should be good for another 100K without any huge expense. What do you guys think about the price and doesn't the 99 have the weak front differential or is that the 1998? How about the transmission shim, is that only a problem with the 2000? Thanks for any imput.

$16k would be a good price around here. Pricing is really area dependent. Not many 100's here have gone 200k miles yet but yes, I would expect it to with good maintenance.

The 98-99's do have the 2 pinion front differential vs. the 4 pinion in the later models. Adding an ARB locker up front would solve the "deficiency." Yes, the transmission shim problem applied to 00-01 models.

But overall, few 98-99 owners have broken front differentials and few 00-01 owners have transmission problems.

Prices are down for our 1999 models due to the premium gas requirement and high gas prices. But gasoline is just one part of operating costs, and the reliability of these tanks makes them very cost efficient. If you need the space/seats/hauling/trailering/off-roading capability, pull the trigger and buy the thing at $16.5k or less.

LT

Thanks, I have a long list to check on this rig before I buy. I understand they can run on regular as long as they don't Ping? But I hope to make sure it has up to date service along with some $$ off the $17500 quoted price. Condition will play a major factor as I get further into the inspection. This will be a 3rd vehicle so the mileage is I feel a positive. Helps with the price but shows that it was driven around 17-18K miles a year which in my area indicates highway miles versus low miles which would be a lot of city driving.

I just saw a 1998 LC go for $14,100 on Ebay with 175,000 miles !!!!! So that price seems very good. These things hold their value well, especially the older they get.

I paid $21.5K for my 1-owner '99 in January (05) with 69k. BYW I run 87 octane...unless I am going into the hills or wheel'n...then I splurge for 91-92.

Umm, you could buy mine ( :

I Paid $17k for the exact same vehicle you describe with the 18" 03 Lexus wheels. I think its a good deal, but might be a good time to negotiate on a gas guzzler.

Went in this morning with a check to look/buy and it was gone, sold. But it's not all bad, since the biggest part of this deal has been made. The wife is now on board for the 3rd vehicle :) a used 1998/99/2000 LC :) Now I just have to find the right one. We are moving in the next couple of months out west so I might wait until I get settled before I look hard again. Thanks for the info guys and I am sure I will be back asking your advise in the months to come. I am looking at Buying a place in SW Utah that backs up to BLM Land and is great off road ATV area. It's about 30 miles east of Zion National Park and 70 miles north of the Grand Canyon at about 5000 ft. elevation very pretty area, figure I will need all of the 4x4's I can get :)

I let a 1998 LC get away from me last Feb. It had 55k and rear lockers and in MINT/immaculate condition for 19,500. YOu seem a little high for me. If you know what you looking at buy your 100 from a private party who garaged it and has dealer service records. You will get a better deal all around. You cant go wrong that way.

Kanab -
A "good deal" is whatever you think it is -- not somebody else's opinion.

And, the engineers at Toyota designed that engine to run on high-octane gas. It is a very forgiving engine, and you can certainly run it on regular or mid-grade -- maybe even a high-fructose corn syrup sports drink. But at some point, you may have to pay a price for that regular gas.

I'd recommend you figure the price of higher-octane gas into your equation -- especially at altitude in Utah.

just my 2 cents

LT

ELLTEE said:
Kanab -
A "good deal" is whatever you think it is -- not somebody else's opinion.

And, the engineers at Toyota designed that engine to run on high-octane gas. It is a very forgiving engine, and you can certainly run it on regular or mid-grade -- maybe even a high-fructose corn syrup sports drink. But at some point, you may have to pay a price for that regular gas.

I'd recommend you figure the price of higher-octane gas into your equation -- especially at altitude in Utah.

just my 2 cents

LT

Thanks LT, so what year did they change the octane requirement? Might make a difference if the 2000 uses 87 and the 1999 uses 91. Might be worth paying a little more for a 2000 since I might save it on the price of fuel.

Here's the breakdown:

1998-1999, rear locker offered

1999, rear AC optional

2000, rear AC standard, locker no longer offered, traction control added(standard)

2001, switch to regular gas

2003, 5 speed auto added(improves mileage) and interior/exterior minor makeover

2006, VVTi engine with more power, another makeover

It would be interesting to put a 98-00 cruiser on the dyno using supreme unleaded. Then fill the tank with regular. Drive it 100-150 miles or so and do the dyno run again under the same conditions. I'd be willing to pitch in a few bucks to see the outcome.

Using mid-grade or regular, my milage drops 1.25 to 2 mpg, variable with type of driving (less mpg drop at highway speeds, more degraded in slow driving around the mountain and off-road). And the engine just doesn't feel as responsive on regular or mid.

The tech discussions seem to agree that the engine can receive long-term stress and eventual damage from pinging that is not noticable to the driver. So, since I plan to wear this sucker out, I buy high-test on sale every Monday (10 cents off, so it's equivalent to mid-grade).

Octane degrades at altitude, so Utah is likely to be worse with the NC mountains -- where I live at 3600 feet.

LT

I Use Regular 87 Octane On My Daily Lc And It's Just As Responsive As I Was Using 90 Plus Octane.....maybe Cause I Have A Full Less Restricted Exhaust On Me Lc......headers,full Flow Cats,2.5 Pipe, And Flowmasters......maybe That's Why I Don't See Or Feel The Difference....

Going to look at a 2003 with 62K miles on it with the 6 year 100K warranty. If I can buy it for $33-34K I will get it. Figure the warranty covers me for any problems and that it had to be a lot of highway driving to get 60K on a 2003 this quick. Mileage on a LC should not be a problem since it should be good for 200K++ with normal maintaince. Any problem with my BS logic or am I just trying to talk myself into buying??? :)

No problem with your logic. If it checks out...buy it!

the 5 speed is very sweet. 34K for an 03 would be really good I think.

I just bought a 2003 last month with 38K for $37,500. I think $34,000 would be a great deal on a '03 with 20k more miles (since they SHOULD be good for at least 200K). Besides, you'll have the extended warranty to cover you...I wish I had the piece of mind. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom