1999 100-series trip report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.homepage.mac.com
Just back into Dallas after about three weeks on the road to NC. (Family obligations, aging parents, etc. nuff said) We totaled 3511 miles round trip, on 211.4 gallons or 16.6 miles per gallon. :p
The truck was lightly loaded, just spouse and supplies on the way over, a couple small pieces of furniture coming home. :D

This was our first road test in the new (to us) cruiser, and it performed flawlessly. Solid as a rock doing 75-85 mph on the highway, steady in the Eastern NC sand and mud, and grabbed plenty of traction in the NC Mountains when we drove in to see our place above Black Mountain. :D

glad to be home and just wondering how the mpg compares to others on the board.

LT
???

I get about 17mpg on the highway with no load in the flat midwest. 88fj62 w202k(3FE inline 6 cylinder). Thanks for sharing the info. :)

Driving to the Rubicon trail and back to Fernie B.C. About 2000 miles I averaged 14.83 mpg (US gallon). That was not including the tank I used on the rubicon itself.
Sean

Blown 93 1FZ,

11 mpg avg town

14 mpg avg hiway

10 mpg avg hiway towing 3700lbs

5-6 mpg hard low range wheeling.

Note: Weighs 6200 lbs "empty" ::) (according to the truck stop scales)

LT,

On a recent 3300 mile trip, mpg ranged from 15-18. driving conditions ranged from off-road to freeway cruising.

Added 1 qt of oil at the 2900 mile mark. 128k on a '96.

Did you need to add oil?

Ed

96 80

11-12 around town, 14-15.5 freeway. I wish I could get 17 but I believe the California gas with MTBE is holding me back.

Cary

Same as some others:

11 - 12 around town, 14 on the highway

Figure it takes a lot of gas to haul this much "bad-ass" around. ::)

Every time there is a thread that starts to compare gas mileage, I chuckle... and usually get to add something new to my list of how many variables there are. Here’s my list - feel free to add...

Gasoline octane
Grade of gasoline (states vary...)
Engine mods (S/C or not)
Engine timing/tuning
Exhaust mods (mufflers/cats [or not])
Driving speed
Driving elevation (Denver or Death Valley?)
Weight of truck
Windage accessories (viz., rack)
Gearing
Tire size
Tire composition (soft or hard)
Tire pressure
Lift (inre: windage)
Air condx (on or off)
Windows (open or closed)
Number of passengers
Size of driver’s foot
Weight of driver’s boot
Number of dead dragonflys spread-eagle on your headlight screens
(this one really does me in on my mileage...)

R - :D

Dog - head in or out the window

I didn't have to add oil. The Lexus dealership (the PO upgraded) slightly overfilled according to the dipstick (the metal one, not the guy at the dealership), and it's still just slightly over the full mark.
Other variables:

Gasoline octane - 93
Grade of gasoline (states vary...) Milage did seem to get better the longer I was out of Dallas. I think the smog additives really hurt milage locally.
Engine mods (S/C or not) - stock 100s
Engine timing/tuning - recent full service at decent dealership
Exhaust mods (mufflers/cats [or not]) - none
Driving speed - 75-85 (cc at speed limit +8 or 9 mph)
Driving elevation (Denver or Death Valley?) -- 500 feet in Dallas, gentle upslope to Asheville NC (Eastern Continental Divide, about 2500 feet. Our place above Black Mountain, almost 4000 feet)
Weight of truck - stock, plus couple pieces of furniture -- say about same as third adult and baggage
Windage accessories (viz., rack) - roof rack, empty
Gearing - stock
Tire size - stock 275 70 R16 Michelins removed from a lexus trade in that was upgrading to the 17 inch rims
Tire composition (soft or hard) standard highway (I guess that'd hard?)
Tire pressure -- 33 to start, 31 at midpoint, and about 30 at end,
Lift (inre: windage) - none
Air condx (on or off) - both, rear set on 75 and front on 74 or 75
Windows (open or closed) - open only for about a half a day in the mountains.
Number of passengers - two
Size of driver’s foot - 8.5 D
Weight of driver’s boot - I drive in moccasins, my wife usually drives barefoot
Number of dead dragonflys spread-eagle on your headlight screens
(this one really does me in on my mileage...) - I scraped them off most nights at the hotel when I washed the window and checked the oil, pressure, etc after the truck cooled down.
No dog, no head out window.

:D

I hope this helps 8)

LT

Um, LT......

How many old french fries under the seat? ::)

I forgot to mention I have a SPECIAL-BUILT 15mm wrench in the RH cargo pocket to change the blower belt :flipoff2: (and a spare blower belt to go with..... :D )

Ron,
Add weather to your variables. There are several weather factors but I recall one memorable trip to Flagstaff in a 50 MPH headwind. Fuel mileage sucked on that leg of the trip.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom