1999 100 series Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I have a 1999 Land Cruiser with 298k miles. Over a year ago the alternator failed and I replaced it along with a new red top battery. It also has a much bigger alternator now too, 270 amps instead of the typically 100. At nights with my headlights on my voltage will drop a little bit and the lights dim, inside and outside. Has anyone had an issue like this before along with a remedy? This had never happened previously with the old stuff that was in it. I disconnected any aux lights and my winch to see if it was that but there is the same outcome with the dipping voltage.

Thanks in advance

I noticed the same thing recently with my 1999 and last fall I replaced my alternator with 100 amp, looks like standard is 80 amp according to the usual parts stores. I wondered if the higher than normal amperage was the reason, but idk. I also wondered if temp had anything to do with it, because the first time I noticed it, temps were probably single digits or below. I'm surprised I never noticed til recently though. The new alternator has had a high pitched, rpm based, space ship squeal since I put it in, so maybe it's questionable anyway?

Curious to see if anyone has any insight.

I noticed the same thing recently with my 1999 and last fall I replaced my alternator with 100 amp, looks like standard is 80 amp according to the usual parts stores. I wondered if the higher than normal amperage was the reason, but idk. I also wondered if temp had anything to do with it, because the first time I noticed it, temps were probably single digits or below. I'm surprised I never noticed til recently though. The new alternator has had a high pitched, rpm based, space ship squeal since I put it in, so maybe it's questionable anyway?

Curious to see if anyone has any insight.
Many here do not recommend replacing the alternator with non-OEM/Denso new or Reman. Did you get the Denso alternator or a A/M reman?

This is what I follow when purchasing a battery: IF the battery is NOT made by S.C johnson Controls, I do NOT trust those. I replace batteries every 5 years and they are relaible to the last day of the 5th year if and only the battery is made by S.C. Johnson Control. The Walmart Ever Start MAXX are made by them.

Many here do not recommend replacing the alternator with non-OEM/Denso new or Reman. Did you get the Denso alternator or a A/M reman?

This is what I follow when purchasing a battery: IF the battery is NOT made by S.C johnson Controls, I do NOT trust those. I replace batteries every 5 years and they are relaible to the last day of the 5th year if and only the battery is made by S.C. Johnson Control. The Walmart Ever Start MAXX are made by them.
I have a red top battery and a DC power inc 270 amp alternator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom