1998 UK 100 series (amazon) 4.7v8 crank & no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 9 years of reliability our amazon failed to start. we have techstream running and a second (running) amazon on hand for comparisons
This went from running perfectly to dead with no symptoms showing before failure

immobiliser light goes out when the key (we only have one) is put in the ignition,
engine turns over but not a hint of it firing
pulling a coil pack and checking for spark with a spare plug shows no spark
We haven't checked for petrol as we have an LPG conversion fitted with an emergency lpg start function (and as such can completely bypass the petrol system)
we did pull the EFI fuse and relay from the running one and swap them into the non runner with no change (although if I'm understanding right the immobiliser light going out rules out that fault)

Techstream connects to all ECU's except the immobiliser (although this may be because I have the wrong model selected, my next task is to try all the options on the running one and compare to the non-runner)
the only current codes showing on the engine ECU are for Oxygen Sensor Heaters (Bank1-sensor 1 & Bank2-sensor 1)
historic codes were P0120 & P1120 which both relate to throttle pedal position.

I have put a techstream event log on http://81.168.22.130/tse.zip
Its only a 10 second recording where the key was in 2nd position - turned to start (engine cranking) and then key released back to 2nd position

Just adding to previous post...
testing is currently on hold as I went to swap the crank position sensor between the 2 vehicles and ended up destroying the sensor on the non-runner (so I decided against removing the sensor from the running one)
new crank position sensor ordered, should be here tuesday

running techstream on both vehicles it can't connect to the immobiliser on either one (so I suspect my dodgy chinese mvci lead) but everything else shows up, the only difference between the 2 vehicles data is a lack of engine rpm data while cranking (hence trying the crank position sensor)

really annoying things are that the non-runner passed it's MOT the day before it died and the running one has no MOT and is SORN.

Black Running / Off road - Blue Non runner / taxed & tested
2lc.jpg

Crank position sensor arrived this morning thanks to the Ebay seller doctor_car can't fault ordering yesterday at 1:30 pm and having the part here before 10 today

New sensor fitted and the engine fired up after about 10 secs cranking (it usually fires in less than a second) once it had run it's back to firing up as soon as the engine turns.

Odd that a dead sensor produced no codes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom