1998 Tacoma wheel tire combo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello,
i've recently purchased a 1998 tacoma 4x4, ext cab. It has a fugly wheel tire combo on it. I've done some research, but needed to confirm if the 16x7 toyota steelies would work without spacers. I know the 98 tacomas came stock with up to a 15x7 rim. I didn't want to go with 15" rims as more tire options with the 16". Sorry if this is a often asked question etc. I just didn't see it in my search. Thanks!

I did some more research and from what I gathered via the Tacoma forums, is that the 16" rim will work if a OEM rim. So I'm ordering some OEM steelies and will run 235/85/16 BFG AT. It sounds as though they will be "plug and play" with no rub on a stock suspension. Might have to remove the front mud flaps, but it has 31x10.5x15 on it now with no rub. I don't see the additional .7" creating a rub.

From what I researched, that size only comes is load rating E. Here is a photo of the truck now/at purchase. Obvious why I want to get new tires/rims...

It is a solid truck though, 2 owner, california truck, no rust. Not abused. 108K miles. 3.4L with 5 speed manual transmission and ADD hubs.

truck.jpg

The 2001-2004 4WD/Prerunner Tacoma came stock with 16x7" wheels (including a 16x7 steel spare), although I'm not 100% sure if *all* of them during that time-frame came with 16", but at the very least a bunch of them...for sure the Double Cabs did. I don't remember the exact offset or backspace on them for sure. But lots of guys have ran full sets of the stock spares on all 4 corners. I've done it on my old 2002 and now on my 2003. No probs running them on all years of the 1st Gen Tacoma 6-lug. Seem to be getting harder to find for cheap these days though...took me a couple months of tracking down enough to make a set of 5 of them for under $50 or so each.

BTW, just my 2 cents here, but I def would not recommend running load range E tires on these trucks...mines got some coopers that are 255/85/16 load range E and they are absolute bricks at correct street/highway PSI. I am trying hard to work into getting rid of the damn things asap but I've got other priorities in the way right now. (However, I did run a set of BFG KM2s on my old 2002 in the same size and load range and never thought they felt too stiff.... :-/)

Here's my current truck as it sits right now:

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

For my 2000 I found on ebay a set of used 3rd Gen 4Runner wheels and had then powder coated black.

My 03 came with 16" stock in this style:

full
full

And the spare is as shown above (but rusty.)

It seems the "tall skinny" tires only are in load range E. I've heard a mixed bag about running that range of tire. Seems running a lower PSI seems to help. I'm still debating what to do. Regarding the steelies, I can't seem to find any less than $65 each. I've not checked junkyards though.

i run run 235's on my or tacoma which has the same drive line. yours came with 15's but, you can run larger size rims (16, 17) from a 4runner or a tacoma with out issue. just make sure you use the correct lug nut for the rim as there are a few different styles espically between steel and alloy. my 2004 came with 16" rims because of the larger brake calibers (ABS) so, i can't run 15 inch rims.

i picked up a set of used alloys for $160. i scuffed them up and then primmer and painted them. i even removed the toyota logo from the center cap had to drimmel the mounting tabs a little, then glued them back on. i run about 35 psi in my e-rated bfg's haven't had any issues.

if you are worried about tire wear, you can get some driveway chalk and basically make a big wide chalk print on your tire, then drive straight for 100 feet then look at the tire and the remaining chalk to tell if you need to add or remove air so you have an even pattern.

you could go with a 235/80/17 on rims like this
2000-2017 TOYOTA 4RUNNER SET OF 4 LIKE NEW 17 INCH WHEELS RIMS RINES
17 4Runner rims
Toyota Tacoma Wheels 17

IMG_20170703_105926861_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170703_105935028_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161109_172532373.jpg

Last edited:
nothing noticeable, 31x10.5x15 with 4.10:1 vs 235/85/16 will change ratio effectively to about 4.02:1. you will be doing 49 mph when you speedometer indicates 50.

fourtrax is right. yes it is stock height. it doesn't bounce all over the road now when i hit seam or hole like it did with the other rims/tires. that might be because the tires and rims weigh a ton. i can tell it will drag on my MPG, but i'm used to driving cruisers, so it will still get better mpg than my 80 or 40.

Yeah, thinking of manual hubs eventually. Not a big fan of the ADD. I need to put new shocks on it and new pads and rotors. Baseline all the fluids too. Belts and hoses look ok. Some other odds and ends like a broken antenna, broken neck on the windshield washer fluid resevoir. Already took care of interior broken door handle and DS seatbelt that wouldn't retract anymore. It is a solid little truck and fun to drive.

Thanks for the report. I was on the fence of 31x10.5 or 235/85.
Per your review I think I'll go with the 235/85.

I just sold off a set of good used manual knuckles, hubs, and hub locks. Was gonna use them on my 03 but for some strange reason I decided to source all brand new parts to do the conversion instead.... lol Now just waiting for some time to get it done....

3rd Gen 4Runner rim powder coated on BFG KO 285's.

IMG_0094.JPG

The 2001-2004 4WD/Prerunner Tacoma came stock with 16x7" wheels (including a 16x7 steel spare), although I'm not 100% sure if *all* of them during that time-frame came with 16", but at the very least a bunch of them...for sure the Double Cabs did. I don't remember the exact offset or backspace on them for sure. But lots of guys have ran full sets of the stock spares on all 4 corners. I've done it on my old 2002 and now on my 2003. No probs running them on all years of the 1st Gen Tacoma 6-lug. Seem to be getting harder to find for cheap these days though...took me a couple months of tracking down enough to make a set of 5 of them for under $50 or so each.

BTW, just my 2 cents here, but I def would not recommend running load range E tires on these trucks...mines got some coopers that are 255/85/16 load range E and they are absolute bricks at correct street/highway PSI. I am trying hard to work into getting rid of the damn things asap but I've got other priorities in the way right now. (However, I did run a set of BFG KM2s on my old 2002 in the same size and load range and never thought they felt too stiff.... :-/)

Here's my current rims for Toyota Tacoma as it sits right now:

View attachment 1487107

View attachment 1487108
Those wheels are too large for a tyre that would fit your truck without a significant lift and a slew of other modifications. You'll need something in the 16-17" range, with a width of 7-9.5" and tyres no larger than 275/285. You can go larger if you do a significant lift and possibly other work.

Congrats on the truck.
I just picked up a 1st gen gem as well.
I have on order the OME lift & front bumper.
I am going to go with 235's as well.
I am either going to run:
Cooper ST Maxx. (I have run these in the past, and I really like them. They are heavy 50lb).
BFG KO2
Toyo AT3 ( these are the lightest. They are around 44lb).
Trying to be cautious of weight.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with your truck

Congrats on the truck.
I just picked up a 1st gen gem as well.
I have on order the OME lift & front bumper.
I am going to go with 235's as well.
I am either going to run:
Cooper ST Maxx. (I have run these in the past, and I really like them. They are heavy 50lb).
BFG KO2
Toyo AT3 ( these are the lightest. They are around 44lb).
Trying to be cautious of weight.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with your truck

Post some pics of your new ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom