1998 Serpentine/V-Belt confirmation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
So after talking with Ryan who did my tb/wp service yesterday the serpentine belt is looking a bit on the weathered side. Not something that needs to be replaced immediately but since I will be ordering some stuff in the near future that he also found needs replacing (fan bracket, fan shroud) I might as well throw this in there as well

Now comes the question... looking on Partsouq.com it comes up with three (3) different Mitsuboshi belts as being proper replacements. Talking with him last night about it, basically it comes down to the length of the belt. I was trying to find lengths to see which was the correct for the 1998 LC but cannot seem to figure it out.

Can someone confirm which is proper?
Mitsuboshi
6PK2245, or
6PK2250, or
6PK2255

I am assuming that the last four numbers (22xx) are the length in millimeters, which if I am correct based on the description from Partsouq it calls out the length as L=2245
VBelt confirmation by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr
VBelt confirmation 2 by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

You're correct that the last 4 digits of the part numbers indicate the metric length, the first characters indicate rib count and configuration. The domestic aftermarket brands ( Dayco, Gates, etc.) are showing an 885 standard length as being correct for your application. That would be 88.5" (true measurement of 88.58") which translates to 2,249.932 millimeters, this is closer to the "2250" options. IIRC there were different options for the diameter of the tensioner pulley between some models or part production dates from Toyota, either 90 or 102mm. This may be why you are seeing belt options that have minute differences in length, I honestly suspect either option will work. FWIW, I put a 6PK2245 Contitech on my 05 LX470 in conjunction with a new OE tensioner assembly and had no issues.

You're correct that the last 4 digits of the part numbers indicate the metric length, the first characters indicate rib count and configuration. The domestic aftermarket brands ( Dayco, Gates, etc.) are showing an 885 standard length as being correct for your application. That would be 88.5" (true measurement of 88.58") which translates to 2,249.932 millimeters, this is closer to the "2250" options. IIRC there were different options for the diameter of the tensioner pulley between some models or part production dates from Toyota, either 90 or 102mm. This may be why you are seeing belt options that have minute differences in length, I honestly suspect either option will work. FWIW, I put a 6PK2245 Contitech on my 05 LX470 in conjunction with a new OE tensioner assembly and had no issues.
From what Ryan was telling me there was slight variations in length for the different 2UZ vehicles... So he thought that the Sequoia used a slightly longer one because of a different pulley on one of the accessories (alt, AC compressor, PS pump) and then there were slight variations between the ones used for the 4Runner vs. Tundra/LC/Sequoia but he was not sure which was which.

I ran the OE number (9091602231) from your Parts OUQ screenshot in Toyota's SimplePart site and came up with some info. The aforementioned number was superseded by 9091602586 and in the above link if you scroll down a bit, it is indicated that 2245mm is the length:

1610851370109.png

Thanks for asking this question, I came looking for this answer. How did the 6PK2245 work out for you?
Haven't picked it up yet. Been handling other things going on in life and since the belt is fairly new I just haven't gotten around to it.

@gregnash

Thanks for chiming in on that other thread we have going.. Interesting enough the Toyota OEM part number - 9091602586 Shows a Mitsu part# 6PK2240

I have the new smaller pulley installed for the tensioner and still get belt squeak with this part#

I would think stepping up to a larger belt like the 45 mentioned earlier would only make things worse. It appears after reviewing other threads this 2240 is being used on all other rigs as well.

KIMG3335.JPG

Last edited:
So is the larger pulley OE or is it aftermarket? Could potentially be and issue with the short belt and the larger pulley (think nasty leverage ratio causing more tension)?
One of the other suggestions was to try belt dressing to see if that might clear things up because at some point the belt could have become glazed from usage.

So is the larger pulley OE or is it aftermarket? Could potentially be and issue with the short belt and the larger pulley (think nasty leverage ratio causing more tension)?
One of the other suggestions was to try belt dressing to see if that might clear things up because at some point the belt could have become glazed from usage.

Sorry it's been a while since I messed with the tensioner, I made a mistake. When replacing a stock tensioner / pulley assembly the new tensioner has a smaller pulley but we use the same belt part number. I trust the new style tensioner is built in such a way to accommodate the smaller pulley and keep same belt length.

I'm not a big fan of belt dressing, I'd rather just replace the belt. I removed the belt this weekend, cleaned it , but made no difference.

I can spray water on the belt when it's running with no change in tone of squeal.

Worst case scenario is fan bracket bearing, best case is I simply need a new belt, but this belt only has a few K miles on it and the fan bracket and everything else is new.

The fact that the noise goes away once warm makes me think I have a bearing problem because my guess would be if it was a tension problem it would be consistent at all operating temps.

Post up a video of what you are hearing in your system as that may help diagnose. It is one of those weird things where it could potentially be that one of the items you got was not the greatest or has issues. Who knows..

Post up a video of what you are hearing in your system as that may help diagnose. It is one of those weird things where it could potentially be that one of the items you got was not the greatest or has issues. Who knows..

Does this work

YEESH!!!
Ok to me that sounds like a bearing is dying somewhere... maybe @2001LC @cruiseroutfit or one of the other guys can help with diagnosis but DAMN!

YEESH!!!
Ok to me that sounds like a bearing is dying somewhere... maybe @2001LC @cruiseroutfit or one of the other guys can help with diagnosis but DAMN!

Agreed , just hard to condem any parts since they are new .

With the belt off and spinning pulleys the only possible suspect is the fan clutch / bracket bearing.

Since its new I can't justify replacing again , hoping something explodes soon so I know for sure what the problem is =]

Just went through this with a '98 LX470. It was the bearing in the tensioner pully. I was able to remove just the pully and press out the old bearing and replace it. Un checked the noise will continue and even quiet a bit and suddenly it will freeze up totally.

Just went through this with a '98 LX470. It was the bearing in the tensioner pully. I was able to remove just the pully and press out the old bearing and replace it. Un checked the noise will continue and even quiet a bit and suddenly it will freeze up totally.

In my case the tensioner and pulley are new oem and it feels good when checking by hand with belt removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom