1998 LC stalling during hot outdoor temps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, recently my 100 been experiencing stalling episodes after driving more than an hour. Usually happens when I’m at idle in traffic or at the light. Idling at 800rpm then, boom it shuts off. . Currently have 235k on the odometer. No CEL when it stalls, cranks right up with no issues. I’ve been reading through post about this. Even watched a bunch of YouTube videos in troubleshooting the EVAP charcoal canister and their controls. I live in Louisiana so there’s no elevation to factor into this. Previous owner replaced the fuel pump with a Denso unit. Stalling happens on very hot days, which leads me to believe the fuel vapor pressure is playing a role in this. First day it happened, I smelled like chemical coming from the hood. Opened the hood then hear the charcoal canister hissing. I went to open the gas cap to relieve the pressure and the hissing stoppeD. So far, I’ve checked the purge solenoid and vacuum solenoid on top of the canister. Here’s what I’ve done so far.

Last edited:
0336EA91-A5D4-42B7-94DC-6AB0F3A65B85.jpeg

I believe this is a normally closed. I removed it from the engine and tried to blow into it. Definitely was closed. I then applied voltage using a 9v battery, I did not hear a loud audible. Although I was able to blow into it. Maybe it wasn’t open all the way because there was resistance like partially open or clogged. From the videos I’ve seen, you can easily blow through. Possible faulty purge valve?

B2559BBB-934F-49E2-A646-5858D80FE9F4.jpeg

Next I’m testing what I think is the vacuum valve. There’s a line that comes in then tee off into a pressure sensor. I tried to blow into this and was only able to feel air come out of the nipple that is going to the pressure sensor. I applied 9v to the coil and heard a loud audible. Kind of a novice mechanic. Curious if anyone can point me in the right direction on this issue. Thanks mud.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom