1998 LC Replacement Fuel Pump Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to find a replacement fuel pump for my 1998. The denso kits and replacement pumps have been on backorder for months (now believe they may be discontinued per denso's site). I've had multiple orders canceled for both the kit (950-0107) and the individual pump (951-0003) from places that originally stated they had one in stock.

The pump kit (950-0210) that 2006-2007 folks use will not drop into a 1998.

Other than OEM toyota ($300+), what are folks having success with? Anyone tried one of the aftermarket options? Delphi? Carter?

Rich

Next best option would probably be a TYC brand pump (part #: 152059A). That company has been an OEM Toyota parts supplier for years, though not the OEM fuel pump supplier.

Next best option would probably be a TYC brand pump (part #: 152059A). That company has been an OEM Toyota parts supplier for years, though not the OEM fuel pump supplier.
Whoa… that pump goes for $15! Anyone running this pump?

Well that's disappointing. Amazon shows 950-0107 in stock, but who knows if it's actually genuine Denso.

Well that's disappointing. Amazon shows 950-0107 in stock, but who knows if it's actually genuine Denso.
The only one I see on Amazon that looks to be a real denso, and not just putting the model number in the listing of another brand pump, says “usually ships in 3-4 weeks”. Which I take to mean, you aren’t ever really going to get get this pump.

Considering the OEM pump lasts multiple hundreds of thousands of miles, $300 isn't all that steep compared to the alternatives

Considering the OEM pump lasts multiple hundreds of thousands of miles, $300 isn't all that steep compared to the alternatives
I agree, just a tough pill to swallow when we used to be able to pick up denso pumps for 1/3 of that.

I've had good luck with Delphi on other Toyotas
This is what I ended up picking up. Will report back if I have any issues with install.

Delphi fuel pump is direct drop in. It is unnoticeable from a noise standpoint and there were on issues with the install. Only practical difference is that it is a bit shorter in overall length than the denso, so you just need to use a bit more of the supplied hose than stock for the pump to sit at bottom of bracket. It did not come with the strainer sock, but the denso one (952-0006) fits perfectly.

Rich

I went with a Delphi fuel pump after reading this thread and wanted to follow up with my experience. My original pump went out in March of this year at about 237K. I replaced it with a Delphi unit from Amazon, and used the Denso strainer mentioned by richg above. As he noted, it fits fine just needing a little more fuel hose to connect it, and it uses the factory harness plug.

This past Friday I came out of a store and my '04 LC failed to start on the first crank cycle (ironically at the exact same place that my last fuel pump died). It sputtered and finally started on the second crank cycle, and runs fine once it gets started. I tested the fuel pressure and am getting 31psi both using the active test in techstream, and with the engine running (spec is 38-44psi). The pressure also immediately drops to zero once the ignition is turned off (spec is 21 psi or more after 5 minutes). Seems to be pointing toward the fuel pump failing. I'll be replacing the pump again tomorrow, and it seems that the Delphi unit I used only lasted ~5 months and ~6k miles (curently just over 243K miles).

@Ridgerunner78 - thanks for putting this info out there. I tried to buy a Denso pump because I had random fail-to-start issues and a power loss while driving. Since the Denso is out of stock everywhere, I bit the bullet and installed at dealer pump ($350) + a new sock, rubber hose, etc. last week and so far, it has cured these issues. My OEM Aisin pump had 315K on it, and was quiet. I did not perform any pressure tests. I will chime in here if my truck starts to misbehave again.

Ironically, two of my truck's three failures both happened in the same church parking lot.

FWIW, the Delphi I ordered was from rockauto (I trust them a bit better than Amazon sellers in terms of counterfeit parts). Mine is still working ok, but only have about 7 months on it. That said, I’d likely just bite the bullet and buy OEM if I had to do it again.

@Ridgerunner78 - thanks for putting this info out there. I tried to buy a Denso pump because I had random fail-to-start issues and a power loss while driving. Since the Denso is out of stock everywhere, I bit the bullet and installed at dealer pump ($350) + a new sock, rubber hose, etc. last week and so far, it has cured these issues. My OEM Aisin pump had 315K on it, and was quiet. I did not perform any pressure tests. I will chime in here if my truck starts to misbehave again.

Ironically, two of my truck's three failures both happened in the same church parking lot.
Just to clarify you mean Aisan and not Aisin right? There’s a eBay merchant selling aisan pump which I believe is oem for 1/2 the price. I’m just scared to buy from an eBay seller cause who knows if it’s genuine aisan or not

To close the loop on this, I dug into the pump today and my problem was NOT the Delphi pump, rather an install error on my part. Apparently the "longer" bit of hose I used was not quite long enough or I had if clamped too high and the pump had leaned over in the assembly. The outlet of the pump had all but come out of the hose and was barely hanging on. Can't believe it was still running that way, I've been driving it like normal since Friday just taking longer to start. I was probably just a few good bumps from it completely coming apart.

All buttoned back up with a longer hose and all tests pass per the FSM, and the Delphi pump is working fine.

To close the loop on this, I dug into the pump today and my problem was NOT the Delphi pump, rather an install error on my part. Apparently the "longer" bit of hose I used was not quite long enough or I had if clamped too high and the pump had leaned over in the assembly. The outlet of the pump had all but come out of the hose and was barely hanging on. Can't believe it was still running that way, I've been driving it like normal since Friday just taking longer to start. I was probably just a few good bumps from it completely coming apart.

All buttoned back up with a longer hose and all tests pass per the FSM, and the Delphi pump is working fine.
Just fyi it sounds like the pump may have been running dry with the hose coming out. I wouldn’t be surprised if the life of the pump decreases from that

Just as and FYI given the loop is already closed: OEM from Partsouq cost $315 for the pump and everything attached to it for my 99.

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 2.13.29 PM.png

@UZJ100LC - no, in this case, I meant 'Aisin' - which is an OEM supplier. The old and new pump (from the dealer) both said Aisin in tiny letters next to the electrical connector.

@UZJ100LC - no, in this case, I meant 'Aisin' - which is an OEM supplier. The old and new pump (from the dealer) both said Aisin in tiny letters next to the electrical connector.
Man that’s interesting, I just ordered an aisan pump from eBay thinking it was the oem. May have to return it and get it from the dealer so as not to confuse me anymore. Almost 3x price though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom