1998 LC. Heat/AC fan not working. Does not have Nav. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a new problem. Everything has always worked fine. No fan on any setting of the controls. It was intermittent for a couple days no totally dead.

Any help is appreciated.

Pull the blower motor and connect to 12volts. See if it spins. I haven't pulled mine but I believe it is 3 screws under the glove box.

Check relays/fuse then check blower motor, my bet is on the blower motor crapping out.

Blower checks out fine.

Fuse in engine box is only one I could fine. It's ok

Relay?

They see a heater resistor when searching for heater motors?

I had a similar issue with mine, blower was stuck on for a bit, I pulled the fuse then nothing.... It was the temperature control unit. Very $$$. I found one used from TLS Auto in CA for $199. In fact they sent me the entire unit ( dash assy, controls etc). I dont know if this is your issue but if it is I would check with them as it is a $800-900 replacement OEM price

I had a similar issue with mine, blower was stuck on for a bit, I pulled the fuse then nothing.... It was the temperature control unit. Very $$$. I found one used from TLS Auto in CA for $199. In fact they sent me the entire unit ( dash assy, controls etc). I dont know if this is your issue but if it is I would check with them as it is a $800-900 replacement OEM price
Thanks Aaron. I'll give them a call if I get to that.

Check for 12V and good ground at the blower motor-if it's ok replace the blower motor. If not, check for 12v at the blower resistor-if it's good, replace the blower resistor. If not, then your problem is control or power supply. The resistor should have a thicker wire for the power supply to the blower, and a thinner wire for the PWM signal from the HVAC control. There should be voltage on that one as well.

Check for 12V and good ground at the blower motor-if it's ok replace the blower motor. If not, check for 12v at the blower resistor-if it's good, replace the blower resistor. If not, then your problem is control or power supply. The resistor should have a thicker wire for the power supply to the blower, and a thinner wire for the PWM signal from the HVAC control. There should be voltage on that one as well.
Thank you for this.

I have 14.2v into the resistor and 1.6 out.

I ordered a resistor. Internally inspecting it I don't see anything obvious, although the clear gel material is somewhat liquid like. From overheating?

Thank you for this.

I have 14.2v into the resistor and 1.6 out.

I ordered a resistor. Internally inspecting it I don't see anything obvious, although the clear gel material is somewhat liquid like. From overheating?

Hard to say. They're a common problem on lots of vehicles.

Resistor didn't fix it.

The control unit is 88650-60400. Replacements are $615. None on eBay used.

There is 13v across the large blue/white wires going into the resistor. But 2ish coming out to blower. I'm thinking the control unit is not sending the correct voltage along that third thin wire to the resistor ?

I'd the control unit the next step? Ideas?

Thank you

On second thought I might be wrong on that. The thick wire from the resistor to the blower should change with fan speed. There should be voltage on the thin wire as well though.

Small wire to large white neutral.

Auto 0
Off .4
1 0
2 0
3 0
4 0

Confirmed .4 in off position.

Resistor didn't fix it.

The control unit is 88650-60400. Replacements are $615. None on eBay used.

There is 13v across the large blue/white wires going into the resistor. But 2ish coming out to blower. I'm thinking the control unit is not sending the correct voltage along that third thin wire to the resistor ?

I'd the control unit the next step? Ideas?

Thank you
I have the FSM for the 2002. It shows power into the blower relay on a white/red wire. If you are going to try to replace the control unit
I would look for part number 84010-60171. I just went through this process when I converted my navigation to a non-navigation system. These pieces are readily available for $50 plus shipping. Some places try to piece these out but most sell them like this.
IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG
When you buy them like this they come with the ac amplifier and the fan control. I could change this part out in 2 minutes. It pops off with a panel tool and plugs in with 4 plugs. They come either in wood grain or black as shown. I would check car-part.com for HVAC Heater/AC controller.

Last edited:
Large. Wires. 13.2 in auto and 1,2,3 pos.

Large wires. 0 volts in off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom