1998 Land Cruiser FZJ100 w/ 5 speed manual transmission. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dunlop sand tires used to be offered from the factory on some of the earlier land cruisers and Nissan patrols. They ride great offroad but aren't really meant for highway service (bias ply/nylon construction). View attachment 2001811

We used the exact tire in Tunisia while playing in the Sahara and they rocked. You can get super fast wheel speed without digging in.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Pics inside the engine room??

I took these pictures when I saw the truck for the first time. It didn't look too bad considering the age and mileage.
Closeup inspect.jpg
Inspect2.jpg
Inspect3.jpg

We used the exact tire in Tunisia while playing in the Sahara and they rocked. You can get super fast wheel speed without digging in.
They love these tires in Qatar.
At the moment the preferred brand is Maxxis (desertmax). They make them in different sizes (15/16/17/18 inch).
My previous experience with them is that they offer an extremely comfortable ride offroad especially when deflated. More so than any other tire I've ever tried. I'm guessing this is due to the way these tires are constructed (bias ply/nylon).
Drawback is they flatspot even when parked for a few hours (return to normal after driving for a few minutes) and they don't handle too well on paved roads. Service life can be short if you drive aggressively and they don't do well in the mud. They generally cost cheaper than AT/MT tires.

You have a pair of very unique land cruisers.
I'm reading up on both threads, great work 👍

Thank you! And if you have any questions about your truck feel free to reach out, I can help you out.

Nice Cruiser! That thing looks brand new. I would never have guessed the age and mileage based on the pictures. Is it common for people in Qatar to take very good care of their cars or is this more of an exception?

Nice Cruiser! That thing looks brand new. I would never have guessed the age and mileage based on the pictures. Is it common for people in Qatar to take very good care of their cars or is this more of an exception?
I think the previous owner didn't have kids.
He took great care of it. I reckon I've abused it more in the past few months than he's done in 20 years. 😅
The pictures hide the dings and dents but who really cares about that stuff in an older land cruiser?
In Qatar we're not afraid to push our cruisers to the limit, so it's definitely not common to see an early 100 this clean.
You do come across some gems every now and then, but most of the time it's a late model 100. Last year, someone sold an ultra low mileage (2000km) 2007 high spec 100 with a 5 speed manual for the price of a brand new 200.

Last edited:
SFA, right? Nice looking truck. It's annoying that Toyota has went with strictly automatics in US Cruisers since 1988.

I saw a show recently that had a 100 series with manual, diesel and ambulance doors.

SFA, right? Nice looking truck. It's annoying that Toyota has went with strictly automatics in US Cruisers since 1988.

I saw a show recently that had a 100 series with manual, diesel and ambulance doors.
Independent front suspension (100).
SFA (105) not as common over here as it was only available with the 1hz in the local market.

Would love to twin turbo that thing. The engine is inline 6 very similar to the supra’s 1JZ and 2JZ

N
Does it have O2 sensors? My gulf spec throwing a check engine for it but the exhaust isn't stock and no wires exist for an O2, super confusing.
Thanks!
No, it doesn't.
The earlier GCC 100s with the 1fz-fe didn't come with cataylic converters or oyxgen sensors.
What year is yours?

Does it have O2 sensors? My gulf spec throwing a check engine for it but the exhaust isn't stock and no wires exist for an O2, super confusing.
Thanks!

If you have an FZJ100 then the protocol is M-OBD which isn’t as easy to find a reader than standard OBD-2. I still haven’t found a way to read M-OBD cost effectively.

This is full of so much win. Very cool to see!

I'm not sure what I like more. The graphics, the inline 6, the super clean high miles, the sand tires, it just goes on and on.

Thanks.
At first i wasn't so sure on the color, but I think it looks great with the graphics and its stands out next to the usual common colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom