1998 HZJ105R Overlander Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking for a vehicle to serve as a backup daily driver (meaning primary duty, some of the time) and a weekend fun vehicle for the family. The Land Cruiser was at the top of the list for where we are, the middle of Australia's Red Center. I was specifically looking for a 100 with a diesel and a manual transmission, as that magical combination seems to last forever, and I really enjoy driving manuals.

There were none available near where we live. Searching for manual transmission models in Sydney, there were two LC100s, and a handful of LC80s. I called one dealership that had a very well kitted out gasoline engine LC100, with a dual spare tire bumper, roof rack, and the other standard bits. They assured me they had the car in stock, and I spent much of the morning taking several trains and buses out to the hinterlands of Sydney to take a look at it. It was NOT a manual.

The other option, though nearly completely stock, was an HZJ105R. Though a bit of an odd dealership, they had the truck. We struck a deal, which required them to ship it to us on the train, a journey that would take two weeks.

Here is the truck for sale in Sydney

1998_toyota_landcruiser_Used_1b.jpg

It had been registered recently, though the NSW rego tags had expired. Still, it had been inspected and was ready to go, right? Not quite. I failed the registration inspection at the NT MVR. I then had to fix several issues, two costly, but the rest fairly straightforward. After a week, and an additional try, I was able to get the car registered. I immediately took her up a 4x4 track to the top of a nearby hill to celebrate.

20190826_084941.jpg

EFFECTS.jpg

Last edited:
Description and Status Summary

The truck is a 1998 HZJ105R (hence my username). It is the absolute base-model of all Land Cruisers sold in the world. It has the 4.2L normally aspirated 1HZ engine. It is a 105, which means it basically has the chassis of the previous year LC80 with the body of an LC100. Most critically, this includes the live front-axle. Unlike the higher trim versions with auto locking hubs, and the LC80 with always locked hubs, this 105 has manually locking hubs. It has the barn door rear. The PO added a decent 1-DIN radio below the stock radio, the Warn winch, and the Cibie Super Oscar driving lights. The dealer we bought her from put on 285/75R16 mud terrain tires on new steel wheels. AFAIK, the front steel bumper and Safari snorkel are stock from Toyota.

Most critically for me, the truck has a 5 speed manual, with a manual transfer case, and the previously mentioned Aisin manual locking front hubs. Even the window cranks and door locks are manual. If there is a button or electronic feature that was optional, it is NOT on this truck.

Last edited:
Congrats sir! I think many, if not most of us in the US are at least a little jealous of those who live in places where they can buy a diesel powered 105.

Very nice, and the scenery is beautiful. Tell us, if you please, about how much you had to pay for such a vehicle in Australia. And tell us, if you can, what the function is of the "barrel-on-a-pole-with-a-wire-attached" in picture #1 of post #5. I've not seen any of those in the U.S.

Very nice, and the scenery is beautiful. Tell us, if you please, about how much you had to pay for such a vehicle in Australia. And tell us, if you can, what the function is of the "barrel-on-a-pole-with-a-wire-attached" in picture #1 of post #5. I've not seen any of those in the U.S.

Thanks! I paid the equivalent of about $8K USD, plus tax and delivery (by train!). Diesels are very hard to find. Usually they are run into the ground, so I feel pretty fortunate to have found one with some years and kilometers left on it.

The barrel is at the top of "Tin Can Hill", so named because there is an oil drum at the top. The glib answer is that two such barrels, connected by the wire, as shown, is how the internet works in Australia.

The real answer is that the hill was once a mine, briefly, many years ago. I don't think the barrel had a purpose, though the pole may have held a flag at some point, before the oil drum went on. Now it is just a local 4x4 destination.

Love the 105 trim level. Does anyone know where I can buy a set of the 105 black moulding?
These are available from partsouq, amayama, megazip, etc. I believe there is one hole in each quarter panel that will be visible if you replace your existing U.S. market moldings.

Yes very jealous of your 105. I would love to have such a specimen for that kind of money. That is roughly what they go for here in the states but with a gas guzzling v8's, crunchy cv axles, bad window switches, leaky sunroofs, busted leather seats, and slouchy automatics.

These are available from partsouq, amayama, megazip, etc. I believe there is one hole in each quarter panel that will be visible if you replace your existing U.S. market moldings.
Thanks for the response. I was thinking of the holes as well. The usdm models have wider moulding, I just thought they reuse the same holes. Thanks for the clarification.

I love the huge OEM wind deflectors. They are mega rare in Europe and when found are usually going for €100-200+... They are also available factory tinted.

I love the huge OEM wind deflectors. They are mega rare in Europe and when found are usually going for €100-200+... They are also available factory tinted.

That's stock too? I had no idea. The part number checks out, PZQ23-60010. Thanks!

There's not much call for it here, as it almost never rains (except this week). But it might keep the flies out. So far the AC works, until it gets to 40 C or so.

Last edited:
I finally got around to getting the springs replaced. I went with TJM XGS components all around to include the front shocks, steering damper, and new front radius arms. The springs should have given me a 2 inch lift, but the old springs had sagged so much that it worked out to nearly 4 inches.

With the new arms (and new bushings), the steering is much improved. No more wandering on the highway. The ride is much smoother as well. On a local trail, I was in the next higher gear than before at nearly every point. Now I wish I had gone with slightly larger tires.

20200315_104053.jpg

I took the truck out for a long trip on Sunday (over 300 km). The AC worked, no overheating, but power was down. I had a top speed of ~120kph on the way out, then ~110kph on the way back in the heat of the day (The road has a speed limit of 130 kph outside of town). Fuel mileage was atrocious as well, nearly 20L/100km.

After researching a bit, it seems the likely culprits are all related to fuel delivery. Specifically (in order of cheapest to most expensive):
  1. Fuel pickup sock is clogged.
  2. Inlet to Diesel Injection Pump (IP) is clogged
  3. Suction control valve needs to be replaced.
  4. Injectors need to be cleaned (likely replaced with rebuilt units)
  5. IP needs to be rebuilt
This is on a 1998 105 (live front axle) with a 4.2L 1HZ engine.

Anyone have any good tips on where to start debugging? I'd feel awkward bringing it to a local diesel mechanic, getting an estimate, then doing the work myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom