1998 HZJ105R Overlander Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick update. Travel restrictions have been lifted, and we've been traveling far to go camping again. The top speed issue persists. Perhaps 120 kph on a slight downhill, otherwise 110 kph. After trying the easy stuff, took it to a diesel mechanic, figuring he'd tell me I need rebuilt injectors and a diesel pump. He assures me it is just a valve adjustment, so that is scheduled (not something I want to invest in learning how to do right now, or buy a bunch of shims to support).

Of greater significance, he noticed a radiator leak, which must have developed on our long drive back into town last weekend. It's good that he spotted it. I ordered a new OEM radiator and a few other while I'm in there pieces and will attempt that job myself.

Finally, the second battery tray has been resecured, and both batteries (re)wired with a new fuse panel and circuits to feed the CB, front outlets, and eventually lights, as well as a second fuse panel in the back for more lights and the fridge. The CB worked great out to 15 km with the new bumper-mounted antenna.

Here's sunrise over Castle Rock from Chambers Pillar.

20200607_072712.jpg

I took her to a diesel mechanic to help diagnose the low power issue. He did a complete valve clearance job on her, with all new shims. The difference is very noticeable, and it was certainly not a job I would have wanted to do myself, since I don't have collection of shims. The new radiator, hoses, and belts also went in.

Next up is a wheel bearing/steering knuckle rebuild. Diff fluid is escaping in the front axle, so I'll need to check the level until I can get the seals redone. I may tackle this myself, although this truck weighs twice that of the last car I did wheel bearings on.

FWIW, here are a few links to relevant threads. My 105 is basically an 80 chassis with a 100 body. I also have Aisin manually locking hubs, which I'll also need to rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom