1998 Diesel 4 speed to 2002 5 speed transmission swap? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone here know if the 4-speed transmission can be changed to the later 5-speed? If so, what would be required to do such a swap?

I assume that you’re talking about automatic transmissions, moving from the early model’s A343F (or A442F) to the later model’s A750F?

I would assume that the physical/mechanical swap should be pretty easy. You’d just have to chase down the factory parts

The electrical part of the swap is going to be the “interesting” (in a Chinese curse sort of way) part. I guess you could try to retrofit a later model ECU, and adapt your factory harness, or swap/trick your current ECU and run a standalone TCU. I know that Wholesale Automatic Transmissions in Australia sells a standalone Transmission controller, that they use for their manual to automatic conversions.

I suspect that the conversion is possible, but either too cost or labor intensive to be practical.

Anything can be done - more or less - but it's not straight forward.
  • The 4 speed has one Engine ECU and one Transmission ECU.
  • The 5 speed has a combined engine and trans ECU.
  • The wiring is different, and different signals and plugs for the transmission.
  • The instruments are different, with different signals going from the ECU(s) to the different gauges and lights.
  • There are a few mechanical mods on the engine and IP which are catered for with the new ECU, but that might be OK. (I have run an old (2000) engine on a new ECU (2004) for 2 weeks OK). The shut-off valve on the intake would have to be modded or moved over, if you want that piece of safety in place.
  • The gear shifter has it's arm on the opposite side, requiring a new hole for it, but again, this is just a mechanical adaptation.

Thanks for your comments everyone, yes, I want to swap to the A750F from the other 4 speeds from the 90s.
It seems more trouble than what it's worth, and it appears the work can only be done reliably in Australia where they have been dealing with the Toyota Diesels forever.
I suppose ill just stick with the 4 speed and when I drive it down to the ground, ill just do the 2.8 Cummins automatic 6 speed swap

You have one very strong auto box, if it is the A442F. Give it some good synthetic Dexron 3 fluid to help it shift smoothly. For me, the difference when changing from mineral to synthetic was very noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom