1998 4Runner with an unknown future (1 Viewer)

Do you regret building your 4runner?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, but I wouldn't do it now

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The trusty old 4runner is going to be transitioning from the main family mobile after a decade to something else, if it stays. The 4runner is stock pretty much, elocker, 31s some Old Man Emu 2906 with 5100s in the back. The front is all stock and has 225k on them, but things are getting really tired.

Thoughts:
Regear
295s? 315s?

Where is the sweet spot for these trucks? Will $5k make this a solid trail rig that can still handle the highway? Spend my money...

1611271559332.png

Looks solid, got many good miles left in that one

That IS a nice truck. With 5k I would go through it front to back. Last year with my 01 (280K) we spent a little more than 5k total in two separate visits but we replaced all the tranny, coolant lines and hoses, radiator and added a transmission cooler. New power steering lines, a couple brake lines and transmission service. Next year it gets a new suspension.

The service guys think I am crazy to do all that work on an old truck but they are very willing to buy " that old truck" to do me a favor, LOL.

Last edited:
The trusty old 4runner is going to be transitioning from the main family mobile after a decade to something else, if it stays. The 4runner is stock pretty much, elocker, 31s some Old Man Emu 2906 with 5100s in the back. The front is all stock and has 225k on them, but things are getting really tired.

Thoughts:
Regear
295s? 315s?

Where is the sweet spot for these trucks? Will $5k make this a solid trail rig that can still handle the highway? Spend my money...

View attachment 2560721
Agree with the hopper^^^^
If it were me, I'd stay mild/moderate. That seems to be the sweet spot. 2-3" and 265/75r's. You already have the 906 coils in the back. Go with
880's or 881's in the front with 5100's. I am super happy with my setup even after adding almost 200 pounds up front with a bumper and winch.

That IS a nice truck. With 5k I would go through it front to back. Last year with my 01 (280K) we spent a little more than 5k total in two separate visits but we replaced all the tranny, coolant lines and hoses, radiator and added a transmission cooler. New power steering lines, a couple brake lines and transmission service. Next year it gets a new suspension.

The service guys think I am crazy to do all that work on an old truck but they are very willing to buy " that old truck" to do me a favor, LOL.
I have not replaced lines but this truck is pretty much up to date on it's shots.

Agree with the hopper^^^^
If it were me, I'd stay mild/moderate. That seems to be the sweet spot. 2-3" and 265/75r's. You already have the 906 coils in the back. Go with
880's or 881's in the front with 5100's. I am super happy with my setup even after adding almost 200 pounds up front with a bumper and winch.
I think I will shoot for at least 285s. I am about to put some 275/70/17 on my truck. I will probably stick those on the 4runner for a minute and see how they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom