1998-4runner Sr5 SAS top quality decisions!!! (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am hoping to find out which axles will SAS to a 1998 4runner 5spd factory e-lock... I am going to be installing a doubler as well... I am willing to spend and want to do coilovers all around... I am hoping to hear from any people who have been down this road... I’ve done a lot of research and diamond axles are nice, but which one and what choices and why? Or what axle fits from any other vehicles? Etc.

9FD0805D-D10C-4C92-A986-26B0F21EF6D1.jpeg

CA810815-A09C-4D2F-9149-1028C4408176.jpeg

3085F76D-5D1C-4ECA-8464-E29F7618CE5A.jpeg

59E22686-823C-4749-9BD2-E1DAB3E69F72.jpeg

Why don't you read some others build threads to educate your self on this subject.

I figured I would get this response, I’ll be honest I have looked and have not found what I was hoping to hear... If you could tell me which threads would help???

Try stating your goal or plans. I have no idea what you are trying to do. Do you want 35's or 44's leafs or links. Lots of different axles can be used. Are you keeping a stock rear axle?

Ok, I have 37s on trail ready beadlocks I got for a steal that’s why I purchased first... I want 4wheel underground coil overs in the front and back with a diamond axle SAS... and a marlin crawler doubler... I would like to know what dimensions and choices I should pick when ordering my diamond axle and should I use 3way of four way linkage... I still will drive on the road occasionally to work... I also need to know what gearing works best with this scenario 4.88 or 5.29 What spline count to use... I just want to match my drivelines up as close as possible and don’t know whether a drivers drop or center drop works best and how wide of an axle should I use??? I have the money and a buddy to help me weld but am torn at what options I should pick!!!

You sound really excited about this. I suggest slowing down and learning more about the mods you want to do. If you had really done your share of research you would answer most of your questions.

Personally I would use a fj80 axle up front and go with spring under axle leaf springs. With long leafs, it won't ride as nice as coilovers, but it would be simple and flex well. Some people scoff at leafs but shut up after they see a well built leaf suspension work. Deaver could make you a nice set of front leafs. Additionally the frame of a 3rd Gen up front makes it really tough to package a linked suspension and keep center of gravity low. A fj80 front axle is around 63" wide so I would use a 63" wide axle for the rear as well. Then I would put a nice 4 link setup in the rear. For both front and rear I would move the axle position out about 2 inches and cut the wheel wells bigger.

Personally I would use a fj80 axle up front and go with spring under axle leaf springs. With long leafs, it won't ride as nice as coilovers, but it would be simple and flex well. Some people scoff at leafs but shut up after they see a well built leaf suspension work. Deaver could make you a nice set of front leafs. Additionally the frame of a 3rd Gen up front makes it really tough to package a linked suspension and keep center of gravity low. A fj80 front axle is around 63" wide so I would use a 63" wide axle for the rear as well. Then I would put a nice 4 link setup in the rear. For both front and rear I would move the axle position out about 2 inches and cut the wheel wells bigger.
I appreciate the suggestions, I have been down that road and almost pulled the trigger but am looking to have more versatility driving through the desert... i want to stuff the coil overs with these... and need a little more width... around 67” is what I’m learning

D342EFA6-6120-4304-BE46-B1E67B80BC4B.png

Versatility driving through the desert? What do you mean? You want to go fast? Leaf springs can go fast. If you go coilovers you will have limited uptravel for going fast unless you raise cog. But then if you raise cog it's less stable. Coilovers will be smoother than leafs. The design of the ifs frame limits you because it has less kick up where you would mount a solid axle compared to a solid axle frame.

What bolt pattern are your wheels? What bs are they? Do you want the tires outside the fenders? Are you keeping the driver side drop t case? Are you building a Baja truck or a crawler?

Versatility driving through the desert? What do you mean? You want to go fast? Leaf springs can go fast. If you go coilovers you will have limited uptravel for going fast unless you raise cog. But then if you raise cog it's less stable. Coilovers will be smoother than leafs. The design of the ifs frame limits you because it has less kick up where you would mount a solid axle compared to a solid axle frame.
No sir, low COG and aren’t rad pro coil overs adjustable!!! I don’t know I’m still pretty new to this... and I do plan on hacking away to stuff those in the front... and 67” diamond axle.

What bolt pattern are your wheels? What bs are they? Do you want the tires outside the fenders? Are you keeping the driver side drop t case? Are you building a Baja truck or a crawler?
Yes I want it wide going with a 67” diamond axle... yes drivers side I think with a marlin crawler doubler... Unless you have any other suggestions... Would like as good of a mix as I can go between Baja and crawler.

I hope your hod deal on wheels wasn't 5 lug. Your looking at full width axles. Most of the really good strong ones are 8 lug.

you sound like you've already decided on what front axle you want?

I'd go read:
yotatech.com
t4r.com
marlincrawler.com
Yes i have been talking to front range off road and have a fully built diamond for 5800 he quoted... Is it cheaper to piece it out... Talking quality materials
I hope your hod deal on wheels wasn't 5 lug. Your looking at full width axles. Most of the really good strong ones are 8 lug.
6 lug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom