1998-2002 Radio options ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are some replacement Radio options for 2002 and older LX and LC's that have the Nav?

A Tesla option would definitely be super cool for 1998-2002's with Nav but the wiring would be a b*tch to do.
I'm looking for an easier solution.

A Tesla option would definitely be super cool for 1998-2002's with Nav but the wiring would be a b*tch to do.
I'm looking for an easier solution.
I have a 2001 LC w/nav and follow the threads, but it appears to be a pain in the a'rse with very mixed results, and I'm not prepared to take the dive. My LC still is totally stock, front to back and top to bottom, and I take a perverse pleasure in keeping it that way. You might want to search "Grom". It appears quite a few have gone that route and like it.

Do the Nav delete, one of the best mods you can do to your 2002 and earlier LC, imo. I love having the rotary dials for climate control instead of digital variant, and now I can upgrade my head unit as technology advances.

Do the Nav delete, one of the best mods you can do to your 2002 and earlier LC, imo. I love having the rotary dials for climate control instead of digital variant, and now I can upgrade my head unit as technology advances.
How difficult personally did you find the "nav delete" to be, and did you have issues finding the necessary parts? I do like the way the rotary dials look.... In addition to giving you multiple stereo options....

How difficult personally did you find the "nav delete" to be, and did you have issues finding the necessary parts? I do like the way the rotary dials look.... In addition to giving you multiple stereo options....

So you need the rotary dial panel which is pretty easy to find on ebay and the "pig tail" wires/connectors that connect to the back of the rotary dial panel. The pigtails are the only thing that took a little effort to find, I eventually found them on the classified ads here though no problem.

Other than that, you're just following the wiring diagram that we posted, cutting one wire at a time and connecting it to another wire over and over like 40 times. It's tedious but it's not difficult if you take your time and don't get in a hurry.

So you need the rotary dial panel which is pretty easy to find on ebay and the "pig tail" wires/connectors that connect to the back of the rotary dial panel. The pigtails are the only thing that took a little effort to find, I eventually found them on the classified ads here though no problem.

Other than that, you're just following the wiring diagram that we posted, cutting one wire at a time and connecting it to another wire over and over like 40 times. It's tedious but it's not difficult if you take your time and don't get in a hurry.

I could not find any listings on Ebay.
What keywords do you use to find listings?

I could not find any listings on Ebay.
What keywords do you use to find listings?

I used "landcruiser climate control"

happened to find one using that, just now (you might be able to find one cheaper if you keep shopping, not sure what the going rate is anymore)

Keep in mind you can peel all that old s***ty woodgrain off and it will be good as new underneath.

I used "landcruiser climate control"

happened to find one using that, just now (you might be able to find one cheaper if you keep shopping, not sure what the going rate is anymore)

Keep in mind you can peel all that old s***ty woodgrain off and it will be good as new underneath.

Same here. I simplified the climate controls while advancing sound system technology to be more state of the art with 3 cameras.

1647365821776.png

Front cam is a trail cam looking down through from the front bumper on Black Bear Pass.

1647365448254.png

Plenty of navigation tools that stay up to date.

1647365562654.png

The dash cam wakes up and records people if they come around the front of the vehicle.

1647365760019.png

Thx for the response. At some point, kicking and screaming, I'll make the change.....

Same here. I simplified the climate controls while advancing sound system technology to be more state of the art with 3 cameras.

View attachment 2953141

Front cam is a trail cam looking down through from the front bumper on Black Bear Pass.

View attachment 2953137

Plenty of navigation tools that stay up to date.

View attachment 2953139

The dash cam wakes up and records people if they come around the front of the vehicle.

View attachment 2953140
Very nice setup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom