For Sale 1997 w/ factory lockers, lift, armor and more (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sold for $9,300.

Price lowered to $10,500 obo.

It is with heavy heart that we have decided to sell our beloved 1997 80 with factory lockers and 233,900 miles. I flew to Las Vegas from Fort Collins, CO and purchased this Cruiser from a fellow mudder (Jeff A. but I don’t recall his username) on June 22, 2012 with 207,263 miles for $14,000. He was the third owner (which obviously makes me the fourth). Most of the mods were done by him but I will note the ones that I did.

At approximately 188k he performed the following maintenance:

· Replaced timing chain, guides, etc.
· Replaced water pump
· Replaced head gasket and all other pertinent gaskets
· Resurfaced head and new valve stem guides
· Fuel injector gaskets
· PHH and all coolant hoses
· All new accessory belts
· New idler pulley
· All new fluids (oil, tranny, t-case, coolant, diffs)
· All new filters
· Thicker radiator fan fluid

At 198,500 miles:

· New radiator
· New thermostat
· New radiator hoses

At 204,446 miles:

· Front axle rebuilt – all gaskets and bearings, except wheel bearings (those were done at 185,000 miles)
· Replaced rear axle seals
· Replaced heater core

Recent maintenance done by me:

· All new rotors
· All new EBC Green Stuff brake pads (100 series pads up front) – these made a HUGE improvement to the braking of the vehicle
· New downstream O2 sensor
· New brake booster and master cylinder
· All synthetic fluids replaced within last 5k miles (all synthetic since previous owner purchased it)
· New muffler, new catalytic convertors, tail pipe tucked up to prevent damage
· New intake hose
· New spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor (all Toyota/Denso)
· New, bigger charcoal canister

Jeff kept very meticulous records/receipts of everything and I believe that I even have photos of the head gasket/timing chain being performed. I couldn’t have asked for a better seller. I also have maintenance receipts from the folks that owned the vehicle from 8/11/05 – 5/19/09.

So, here are the fun things that have been done to her and I’m sure I’m missing a few things:

· OME 850/860 coils with N73/N74E shocks, OME caster bushings, OME steering damper
· Slee shortbus front bumper
· BIOR rear bumper with swingout (tire, jack mount and antenna mount) and receiver hitch – Me
· Slee sliders
· Smittybilt XRC8 winch
· 6” IPF off-road lights with 100w and extra 60w bulbs
· Super bright high beam bulbs
· Kenwood touch screen head unit/DVD/Bluetooth with remote and Alpine speakers all around and a Boss amp (still needs a sub though) and backup camera
· A bunch of LED lights to replace stock lights inside, including dome lights
· Five new Hankook Dynapro M/T tires 295/75/16 – about 500 miles on them – Me
· Roof and front of hood Line-Xed
· Roof rack – Me
· Scangauge 2
· Wired for trailer brakes (towed pop-up camper a few times last year) – Me
· Windows tinted
· Seats reupholstered
· CDL switch mod thing
· Front swaybar quick disconnect pins
· Remote start/keyless entry – the remote start currently does not work if the vehicle is cold. The local audio place said that they strongly believe that the starter needs new contacts. With that being said, I have never had a problem starting it with the key and I bought new contacts to go with the vehicle. – Me

Until recently we really thought that this 80 would remain in our family forever but the purchase of a new, bigger camper this winter has changed our mind so we are now on the hunt for a 100. Thinking that it would remain in our possession forever resulted in both positive and negative effects. The positive side is that I have been very meticulous about the maintenance and overall care of the vehicle. The downside is that I didn’t anticipate being concerned with the resale of the vehicle. This resulted in a bit more cosmetic damage incurred on the trails (really just two, one at Moab and one here in Colorado). With that being said, here are the negatives. Bear in mind that I am trying to include absolutely every flaw, in the event that someone from out of state may want to fly in to purchase. Here you go:

· Moab removed a few fender flares for me so I decided to remove the others
· Moab also but a decent crease in the left rear quarter panel
· Light long crease down the passenger side from a tree on an icy trail
· Cracked passenger side mirror housing from same icy trail
· Another even lighter crease down the driver side from the side view mirror of another vehicle (during previous owner’s era and this is the only accident that I am aware of)
· Armor has rock rash (I did rattle can the sliders to prevent rust, not to hide anything)
· The exhaust pipe is dinged up where it swoops under the frame rail
· A couple of the transmission light things on the IP are out
· The aftermarket antenna has stained the front fender ever so slightly
· T-case is seeping where the speedo cable goes in
· A light oil leak on the engine (I can try to pinpoint it, if necessary but it is not at the front or rear main seal and it has not gotten worse over the last couple of years)
· Valves tick a little bit
· The ABS was kicking on when I slowed to a stop so I pulled the fuse. This caused the ABS light to come on so I pulled the bulb too.
· The power seatback knob broke off but I have a new one on order
· Some very small rust spots on the rear hatch
· Usual light scratches from tree branches on trails otherwise, paint/clearcoat is in great shape
· Usual scrapes and scratches on underbody from wheeling

Overall this Cruiser is amazing. It burns absolutely zero oil. Sunroof works and doesn’t leak. No cracks or chips in the windshield. Shifts smooth and firm. Never overheats, even pulling the pop-up through the mountains. Birf grease looks great. Steering is tight and doesn’t pull. Brakes work AWESOME. Interior is in very good condition. Shocks still have plenty of life left in them. No rust on undercarriage and only the aforementioned minute rust spots on the hatch. Cruise control works. A/C blows ice cold. Heater will make you sweat. Rear seat heater works well.

I wouldn’t hesitate at all to drive this Cruiser anywhere. Seriously, anywhere. If you have any questions, please ask. If you would like to see more photos, please ask. If you want to do a Skype session to see live video, please ask. It is very sad to see this big ol’ girl go but such is life. With that being said, the only thing that I would be interested in trading for would be an ’06 – ’07 100 with under 150k, light in color, in good shape, mods OK and no AHC (from the factory or deleted). I am asking $12,000 but am open to reasonable offers. Apologies for the extra long essay but I like to be thorough. Thanks for looking.

Additional photos -
Dropbox - Cruiser Photos

2017-03-20 16.37.14.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous truck man. This one would most likely be a fly and buy for me if I could convince my wife that having 2 is somehow necessary. How do you like that BIOR rear?

I'll say it since I'm sure someone else will - more pics would really help you out. Undercarriage/interior/engine bay/etc.

GLWS!

Gorgeous truck man. This one would most likely be a fly and buy for me if I could convince my wife that having 2 is somehow necessary. How do you like that BIOR rear?

I'll say it since I'm sure someone else will - more pics would really help you out. Undercarriage/interior/engine bay/etc.

GLWS!
Thank you. I really like the rear bumper. Very solid, great looking welds and, best of all, they are only about 20 minutes away. The owner is an awesome guy and huge Cruiser enthusiast. I will for sure get the rear bumper for future 100 from him.

Also, at the very end of my essay I included a link to more photos in a Dropbox folder. Let me know if it isn't showing up.

Thank you. I really like the rear bumper. Very solid, great looking welds and, best of all, they are only about 20 minutes away. The owner is an awesome guy and huge Cruiser enthusiast. I will for sure get the rear bumper for future 100 from him.

Also, at the very end of my essay I included a link to more photos in a Dropbox folder. Let me know if it isn't showing up.
:doh:
You're right not sure how I missed that.

Dropped the price to $11k or best offer. If there is anything in particular (within reason) that is deterring anyone, let me know I can hopefully address it. I was considering installing some aftermarket pocket flares but I know that some people, including myself, prefer having no flares. Plus, I would like to avoid putting any more holes in the body.

Price dropped to $10,500 obo.

New fuel filter, cap, rotor, Denso plugs and Denso wires put on the other night because I just realized it has been a bit since they were done and had some of these parts that were going to go with the vehicle. Oil leaks have been traced to the power steering pump (not a surprise) and oil pan gasket.

Also, the roof rack is nothing fancy. It originally had upper rails all the way around that I cut off so she would still fit in the garage. Functions great, just want to be forthright.

I've had a few bites but no takers yet.

Last edited:
Looks like a great rig, with an incredible amount of upgrades and maintenance. It is kind of surprising you haven't gotten that much interest, that's a good deal. GLWS

Thank you and I agree. I thought that it would move pretty quick. Hopefully the right person comes along soon enough.

Nope, she is long gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom