1997 Transmission Cooler Line Leaks ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just acquired a 1997 Limited Edition FZJ 80. All in all it is in great shape and appears to have been primarily a mall driver. Considering its been through many Maine winters, the rust is really pretty minimal. While crawling around underneath and getting acquainted with the rig I see that there appears to be a pretty good tranny leak. Is this the Oil Cooler fittings? It looks pretty rusted and is on the side of the tranny on the passenger side. Thoughts, ideas on the best way to tackle this? Also, is there a good source for parts from a mud member? I can pretty much bet the filter has not been done in a very long time. Thanks.

Picture from Ad.png

Oil Cooler Line (1)_Marked up.jpg

The transmission cooler lines on the FZJ80/1FZFE with the A343F transmisison (95-97 US models) are on the left side of the engine/transmission/radiator. Are you sure that's transmission fluid? What color is your coolant/antifreeze? Is the coolant level low in the radiator? Almost looks like the rear heater pipes in the background of the photo but hard to tell exactly where you took the photo as it's so close up, can you post up a few more photos, further away/wider? Get under the vehicle (or take a bunch of photos) at passenger side front door area and look up at the floor, above the Catalytic converters, any leaks there?

Last edited:
The transmission cooler lines on the 1FZFE are on the left side of the engine/transmission/radiator. Are you sure that's transmission fluid? What color is your coolant/antifreeze? Is the coolant level low in the radiator? Almost looks like the rear heater pipes in the background of the photo but hard to tell exactly where you took the photo as it's so close up, can you post up a few more photos, further away/wider? Get under the vehicle (or take a bunch of photos) at passenger side front door area and look up at the floor, above the Catalytic converters, any leaks there?
I’ve never owned a rig with an A343 like the 95-97’s but I know that the cooler lines on the A442 plug into te trans on the passenger side and traverse the top of the trans to drivers side and then forward to the cooler.

Just acquired a 1997 Limited Edition FZJ 80. All in all it is in great shape and appears to have been primarily a mall driver. Considering its been through many Maine winters, the rust is really pretty minimal. While crawling around underneath and getting acquainted with the rig I see that there appears to be a pretty good tranny leak. Is this the Oil Cooler fittings? It looks pretty rusted and is on the side of the tranny on the passenger side. Thoughts, ideas on the best way to tackle this? Also, is there a good source for parts from a mud member? I can pretty much bet the filter has not been done in a very long time. Thanks.

View attachment 2873370

View attachment 2873375
All I see is thick greasy crud in the photo. How could anything under there be rusted? Have you attempted to tighten the fitting.

The trans filter is a cleanable wire mess strainer. The two that I’ve inspected had 250k plus miles and we both spotless.

Use some kind of degreaser and power wash it, then report back....

Thanks all. Catching up after the holiday. Yes, I am going to attempt to clean up the area as much as I can. Kind of crappy working weather for me here. Its been in the 20's and I have little to no way to heat my work area so it isn't too much fun and harder to work anyway. There is also a Power Steering leak of sorts so am wondering it some of the PSF might have made its way all the way down here. The challenge is these rigs use ATF for steering fluid so telling the difference is a bit tough. I will report progress once I can get at it again. Thanks for the help.

UPDATE. So I had another person who is a mechanic look at the lines and confirmed that they are the culprit and are leaking. In looking at other threads on mud it looks like these parts are no longer available. Is anyone aware of a possible source for these lines? We also looked at the unions and these look like they need to be changed as well. Thanks again for any insights.

Just a quick update. It was the hard cooler lines that were leaking. I was able to source some good used ones from for a reasonable price. I have always had great luck with them especially for hard to find parts. Matt is super helpful and I had them in 2 days on my doorstep. Thanks Cruiserparts!! Once I get these changed out I will post up some photos and new information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom