1997 service manual (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
started out tracking down an oil leak in my 97 fzj80. Usual suspect... oil pump gasket. Unfortunately by removing the oil pump cover, this allowed me access to the bottom sprocket of the timing chain. and I noticed the chain was sagging down.. Much slack. Way too much slack. So, like often happens, I'm in this for much more then I had bargained for. The oil pump is something I can tackle, The timing chain... I'm going to need some assistance in the form of a fsm. I looked over trollholes list of downloadable service manuals, ...fzj80 1997 isn't an option... is there another name this engine goes by?

Last edited:
ok... one more question... I can open the files on my phone but on my PC it's requesting a password and user -name?

Troll Hole's links now require a user name and password?

Some amount of slack might be normal if the tensioner has bled down. When the engine is running and you have oil pressure the tensioner (if working properly) should take up a certain amount of slack. Timing chains can stretch and wear but normally they are pretty reliable and not very often replaced.

The slipper and damper on the other hand can cause trouble.

Some amount of slack might be normal if the tensioner has bled down. When the engine is running and you have oil pressure the tensioner (if working properly) should take up a certain amount of slack. Timing chains can stretch and wear but normally they are pretty reliable and not very often replaced.

The slipper and damper on the other hand can cause trouble.

Yep, the tensioner is hydraulic, works on oil pressure, so when the motor is off, slack is normal.

problem solved; time for Step #6

you're welcome....

Awsome... I’m considering leaving the timing chain alone for now.... I read someplace that the tensioner uses oil pressure to work but it didn’t register in my head as I’m staring at the slack.... I’m going to take my chances.

Awsome... I’m considering leaving the timing chain alone for now.... I read someplace that the tensioner uses oil pressure to work but it didn’t register in my head as I’m staring at the slack.... I’m going to take my chances.

Just make sure you get the harmonic balancer tightened back to 304 LB-FT.

Where in the Tall Corn State?

Just make sure you get the harmonic balancer tightened back to 304 LB-FT.

Where in the Tall Corn State?
I live in North liberty, which is just outside of Iowa city. And update on the 97, my antifreeze is the color of oatmeal. There is some residual oil mixed in there I believe. I’ll probably go ahead and switch out the head gasket along with the timing chain and guides. Probably the smart thing to do but not a job I wanted to tackle!!! I want to drive it not work on it!

I live in North liberty, which is just outside of Iowa city. And update on the 97, my antifreeze is the color of oatmeal. There is some residual oil mixed in there I believe. I’ll probably go ahead and switch out the head gasket along with the timing chain and guides. Probably the smart thing to do but not a job I wanted to tackle!!! I want to drive it not work on it!

You might pull your oil cooler and check the internal condition of it and the gaskets. Its possible you are getting cross contamination there.

@LS1FJ40 is just north of you in CR. I'm sorry......

On the color of the antifreeze:
That sounds like the typical red/green mix that turns to brown sludge. Mine had the real bad and ended up exploding a radiator because of it.

Flush, flush, flush, new TOYOTA radiator cap, make sure your heater cores are flushed also.

You can do the HG if you're there and want to do PM anyway....... up to you.

Definitely check the oil cooler sales and pressure test.

May as well do a compression test and all that before getting too carried away.

The HG on mine was done by the PO (thank God!) and they had the head rebuilt with new seals, the whole works, and mine uses NO oil between 7000 mile oil changes.

When you get it all sorted out, make sure you go to the same dealer as LS1FJ40 because he gets $35 oil changes for his. I can't even buy the parts to do that!

(BTW, I have a cousin that lives in North Liberty, but he doesn't drive a LC....)

I also use the following for Toyota parts:
Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online
Delivered to my door for less than I can drive 5 miles to the local dealership.

FSM's are available from Helm Inc, btw, if you want a hard copy.

Hey thanks a ton. You’re right, the antifreeze is that gray mix of red and green. It’s sludge not so much actual oil. LOL so I’m curious if I need to do this head gasket. I wanted to do the timing chain while I’m in there,. I’m considering taking my chances on the head gasket and the timing chain and guides. Originally my goal was the oil pump oil leak. Got thst fixed. I was considering the timing chain replacement until I find out what a huge job is. I may re-assemble this thing, drive it for a while. That would be a good winter project

I live in CR. I normally work in CR as well but have been working in CR and Coralville, Tiffin, NL, and surrounding area. I work for Lowe’s and have a somewhat flexible schedule where I can swing by and take a peek at it. I’ll PM you my number.

And Cedar Rapids Toyota is where I get my oil changes done. $35 and all the cookies, pie, popcorn, and Starbucks you can handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom