Builds 1997 LX450 Ute (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Way cool!!!!!'

:clap:

It would be awesome to put FJ40 tail lights in. That would be the bees knees.

I did this on my rig, really happy with the look. Took off the damage magnets --very happy about that.

I converted mine to flush mount using LED lights and the lenses over them. This year I put a trim protection "ring" around them.
IMG_1470.jpg

If you want that look, but a little larger, I bought a set on ebay, that I did not use. Let me dig them out.

you could also put a rolling tray under it to carry all you off road recovery equipment

Very cool, I would keep the stake sides as they are, I could carry a big round bail on that rig. Tons of room underneath as well, great score!! Make whatever you build fit the pockets and you can swap out for whatever your use. Great rig, well done.

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback! This has been a lot of fun and I'm a bit stunned with how well it turned out... she's no beauty queen, but she's exactly the truck I wanted.

Very cool, I would keep the stake sides as they are, I could carry a big round bail on that rig. Tons of room underneath as well, great score!! Make whatever you build fit the pockets and you can swap out for whatever your use. Great rig, well done.

I just had this conversation with a friend who was over for dinner. They're well made and super useful, so the stake sides aren't getting cut at all. I'll do a separate set of lower sides (maybe on bullet hinges) but won't mess with the stake pockets. I've got a pile of yard waste that I'm actually excited about taking to the dump!

Somewhere along the way I'll make a removable rack for the RTT.

Mudflaps, some OME mediums, and wiring are next!

Thanks for the offer on the lights... I had considered FJ40 tail lights but wanted something a bit larger. I do love the idea of keeping things Toyota, but I already grabbed a pair of these:

$_57.JPG

These are LED tail lights made for an Isuzu NPR.

Very nice looking ute now great work

Betty looks awesome!! Get some lights on her and take her for a spin - loaded down with anything and everything you can find, of course.

Do you have a picture of those NPR tail lights on the back of your truck? I'd like to see what size they are. The price on them is better than some of the other options I have found.

I'm still debating Samurai or fj40 tail lights.

Last edited:
Here are the ones I found eBay they were little smaller.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441982264.594278.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441982275.128529.jpg

mike, build looks great man! can you share a photo of the back of those lights when you receive them please?

I'll share more info on the tail lights when they get here!

Many of the NPR tail lights have plastic housings, but these LED's are steel (based on advertisements).

These look pretty clean, and I'm all about some LED's:

$_57-1.JPG

(pics from ad--I'll get pics of the housings when I get em)

And naturally, I've ordered an APU from Wits' End, as space is now at a premium.

I have to admit, I almost wanted to cry when I read the first page of this thread. With no experience, no real plan, and I brand new welder you did know how to use, I expected the heap left behind would end up a donor or for sale in the classified section. I am thoroughly impressed! This is one of the most awesome builds I've seen!you really did an outstanding job. You must be really living a spiritual life to keep stumbling onto things that just fit right into place more or less. Congratulations. Keep up the good work, and get going on that rack and RTT!

I have to admit, I almost wanted to cry when I read the first page of this thread. With no experience, no real plan, and I brand new welder you did know how to use, I expected the heap left behind would end up a donor or for sale in the classified section. I am thoroughly impressed! This is one of the most awesome builds I've seen!you really did an outstanding job. You must be really living a spiritual life to keep stumbling onto things that just fit right into place more or less. Congratulations. Keep up the good work, and get going on that rack and RTT!

Thank you!! There was always the lingering fear that this would die on the vine... I knew it was an all or nothing scenario and am really happy to have made it this far.

I sat down this morning and started a list of "still to do" that ended up being ten times longer than expected:

- Speakers
- Tail lights
- Clean up flatbed lights/wire in as needed
- Spare tire lift (if it fits!)
- Drawer
- Short sides/tailgate
- Headache rack
- Tent rack
- Pintle hitch
- Coolant leak
- Oil leak (rear main, most likely)
- Aux battery w/isolator
- LED's (rack, underside, hood)
- Tires
- DS door panel
- New windshield
- New PS mirror
- Rear lift springs
- Airbags?
- Shocks

Of course, once the tail lights are on she'll be a driver. That's the important part!

Wanted to do a build like this but Hawaii local laws make it hard to get recon and safety inspection papers...Yours definitely inspired! One day

Set up a new toy for future mods... this will be handy for my tail light and mud flap mounts.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom