1997 LX450 passanger power seat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, someone in the truck moved it forward and now it will not go back. The seat is all the way pushed up so my wife with her long legs, can't sit in it.

The dealer want's a lot of $ to fix this. I just want to move it back and it can stay that way. Anyone know how to move it back without replacing parts?

Thanks

Andrew

You might want to tell us if you the motor is getting the juice when you hit the lever to move it back (making the "grrrrrr" sound or just "click" or nothing at all, etc...)

Hope it's not something too serious/expensive to fix though. ;)

Mot

Mot, good point and sorry about the missing details. The motor appears to be working. It try's to move the seat. It died after I was having the truck detailed and the cleaner put the seat forward. My wife went to put it back and it made a growling noise and tries to twist the seat but it will not go back. It would still go forward but not back.

After messing with it I have it all the way forward so it won't move at all. :mad:

I just hate the thought of spending $ on a POS power seat I don't want or use!!

Thanks again.

Andrew

Andrew,

I feel like an ass especially after asking you to be more specific, because I haven't got a clue what could possibly be wrong with it. :frown:

It can't be grime built-up in the contact area for the reverse position, right? Not that I'll have ANY suggestions as to how to get it fixed, but did you change the positions of the seat very often or did it sit there, in the far-back position, for a long time?

I guess if it's making the "grrrrr" sound when you try to move it back, then the motor must be getting power. Hmmmmm...... :confused:

Again, sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions.
I think I'll kick myself in the arse for wasting your time. :doh:

Mot :princess: :crybaby:

Yes, my wife and I are both tall so the seats go all the way back for the both of us. We don't move them. I have no idea how these things work but I bet a drive gear of some sort is broken as the initial growl was not good.

Thanks

Andrew

Landtank, I think you are correct. One side is turning on its own the other is not. That is why it is twisting. I am actually able to turn the one side back a 1/8 inch or so at a time so with some patience, I think I can get it back and leave it alone.

Thanks all!!!

I can feel your pain. I had the same thing happen to my passenger seat on my 94. i had to take the seat out and turn it upside down. there are two long threaded rods which move at the same time when the power seat is moved on the trac. well, with mine and more that likely yours, one of those quit working. now, the way i fixed mine was to manually, by hand, twist the broken one all the way down so that the seat is in the farthest back position. mine makes that same grrr sound. it sucks, but its better than your passengers knees being in the dash. by the way, some help to hold the seat would be great. i had to balance the headrest that was hanging out of my open door on a stool in my driveway. the reason for this is you cant unplug the seat because you need the power to keep the working side lined up with the side you are twisting yourself. good luck.

4 bolts and 1 electric plug and the seat is out. Turn it over, inspect, correct the problem and reinstall. If you have to manually move the seat back as described above then just don't plug in the electrical connection and it won't go anywhere.

1/2 banana

-B-

Thanks B. I got it back most of the way by hand turning the side by the console and hiting the back control. I may take your advise and pull the 4 bolts and take a look.

Thanks

Andrew

The repair is quite simple. Regardless of which side the gear is stripped, order the cheaper gearbox and just swap out the gears. Just be sure to hold the lead screw (threaded shaft) when removing the nut on the end as it has some lock tight stuff on it. Then open the gearbox up with 3 screws if I remember correctly, and insert new gear.

Do a search for "seat problem" and I will be you are missing that same screw cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom