1997 Lx450 --- Crossed Jumper Cables (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive had my LX450 for about 3 years now and totally love it. I really messed up this past week. I left my lights on and drained the battery. Went to boost my truck and I switched the jumper cables ( negative on positve and positive on negative) Not one of my smart moments. After reading some of the other threads I think it might be the fusible link (relay) that would have gone out to prevent the Computer from frying. ( Thank god for that) It also says other fuses would need to be replaced. Ive started doing that but Im not able to find the fusible link ( It says its close to the battery, but where?) I have no idea, are the 50a and 60a fuses in the fusebox behind the battery the fusible link?The dealer said its an 100a or 110a fuse, I have no idea where to find them. I found one fuse in the driverside fuse box that was burnt out (ignition) , my truck started to turn but doesnt start. There was also some information about the check engine light , my check engine light doesnt turn on when I turn the key does that mean I need to change the EFI fuse? On the dash the battery voltage meter works the gas gage doest work , heater doesnt turn on, same for a/c , the headlights dont work and truck wont start. Any help and any advice on other things I need to do would be great help.
problems:

Engine turns but doesnt start
Radio wont turn on
Heater doesnt work
Lights dont turn on

Pls help

Thanks in advanve,

Jag

OK Jag,

I helped a guy deal with this once. It sucked, I had just sold him the Supra the day before, and it was below freezing outside. Anyhoo, I digress.

The fusible links are on the positive battery terminal. On the terminal there will be a large guage wire that goes to the starter, and then some smaller guage wires that feed power to the fuse bloc on the inner fender right behind the battery. Those smaller guage wires are the fusible links. They ca be burned at he connectors or right in the middle.

Start by disconnecting the all the wires from the positive battery terminal and sort them all out to see which goes where. On my LC there is a plastic box there on one of the wires and there is fusible link in it. Anyway, check all these out and test them with multimeter. The bad ones should be easy to spot. To get the truck mobile until you can get replacement fusible links you can temporarily replace them with short lengths of insulated wire. You will have fuses blown in the fuse bloc on the fender, and probably in the panel on the dash as well.

Well, there it is. Good luck with it.
Best regards,
Wes

Thanks Wes,

Ill give it a try 2morrow its too cold outside right now.... Any other suggestions from anyone ?

If you're proficient with a meter, the info Wes gave you is everything you need to get to bottom of this. I just went out and looked at mine and it appears that the three fusible links are the three small wires going from the pos. post to a distribution block and a seperate connector. The wires are blu, wht and blk.

The sad part is that I've seen this happen a few times without ever damaging an electrical system. I've even seen the battery post of the good battery damn near blown off.

Good luck and post your progress.

Any other suggestions from anyone ?

you can walk into the dealer and they should have the fusible links in stock, once you have the new ones in hand you will spot the old ones right away, after that check all the fuses, start it up and see what works and what does not work.

the alternator may be fried also.

you can walk into the dealer and they should have the fusible links in stock

I don't think so.......

There are currently nine dealers in the US that show that link in stock.

90982-08264. I have 5 and there are eight other dealers, showing one each.

I had to make a poor man's fusable link one time for the RX-7 while the dealer ordered a new one. Mine was a 40amp link so I bought a 40amp fuse and crimped the connectors I needed to some wires. You can even buy the fusable link wire at the auto parts stores and replace the blown ones as well. Might take some ingenuity but it can work till the OEM arrives.

The alternator will be fine...it's just a matter of replacing fuses and fusable links....I regretfully speak from experience.

I had to make a poor man's fusable link one time for the RX-7 while the dealer ordered a new one. Mine was a 40amp link so I bought a 40amp fuse and crimped the connectors I needed to some wires. You can even buy the fusable link wire at the auto parts stores and replace the blown ones as well. Might take some ingenuity but it can work till the OEM arrives.

As long as you know what the unpublished amperage rating of the respective legs are.

As long as you know what the unpublished amperage rating of the respective legs are.

Preliminary investigation would lead me to believe approx. (or a little above):

Blk/blu 135A (probably OK)
wht/red 8A (probably blown)
wht 147.5A (probably blown)

:D

Last edited:
Excelent!

Now, find the parts house that can s*** that for you.......:)

Excelent!

Now, find the parts house that can s*** that for you.......:)

Now that doesn't sound like the helpful Dan we've come to know:D
Edit: (knowing that I'm in need of parts right now), you're absolutely right Dan!

Well,

Think about the amperages you discovered.

You plan to find appropriate bulk fuse link wire where?

I'm definately not recommending you circumvent a factory part, but if I had to, I'd have those things replaced with fuse holders (temporarily) before you could say "what the hell, my warranty is up anyway"

:eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :whoops: :doh:

Preliminary investigation would lead me to believe approx. (or a little above):

Blk/blu 135A (probably OK)
wht/red 8A (probably blown)
wht 147.5A (probably blown)

:D
Wow, They go that high on amperages! I think the parts stores may only go to 60 amps on bulk fusable links.

Wow, They go that high on amperages! I think the parts stores may only go to 60 amps on bulk fusable links.

I based the figures on the max current of their respective circuits. You could probably get by on less but bear in mind the only function of the links is to protect the wire as all of the circuits are still protected by the respective fuses.

Thanks to everyone for your advice its still night here but I will give it try and post my progress 2morrow.

Thanks again...

PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!! Thanks to ALL...

Once again thank you to everyone that helped me out on here. I was able to fix the problem. The problem was the fusible links. The blue wire was burnt, the white and black were ok. Bought the blue wire from the dealer for $12 and replaced it on the trunk. Truck started on the first shot. Heater, a/c, radio and headlights are working fine. I only had one blown fuse it was the ignition fuse on the driverside(7.5a) Replaced that and truck is working fine.

Once again thanks and I dont know what I would have done with out your help....

Jag

I don't think so.......

There are currently nine dealers in the US that show that link in stock.

90982-08264. I have 5 and there are eight other dealers, showing one each.

It is interesting in that I have noticed lately that local Toyota dealers are stocking less and less of our LC parts (recently no thermostat in stock ??? :doh: ). Even more reason to compile a list and order from Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom