1997 Lexus LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome to MUD! :flipoff2:

The official welcome BTW.
I hope your baby comes through being soaked by Hurricane Ida OK.

Hello guys i am a new member and happy to be here. I have a 1997 Lexus LX450
Welcome to MUD.
I got a LX in April.
Someone on here suggested (to someone else who got a "new" 80) to drive it before doing work on it. That's what I did, ~1,500 miles.
Now it's finally getting put back together. Can't wait to drive it again.

Enjoy the journey

I also drive a 97LX, welcome to the club.

Please tell us more about your vehicle.

Miles? General condition? D light? Mods? Do tell!

The first rule of Ih8mud....

images (4).jpeg

Welcome to the cruiser life!!!!!

Welcome to MUD !!

Post some pics of your truck and let us know what your plans are for it.

i need help starting my truck after hurricane IDA in my area. during the hurricane no one could come out as the water water was knee high. after the water went down i checked for the damage. water did not get to the engine top, it did not get to the plugs, air cleaner was dry. but the bottom part, starter and co were wet. while under water for 5hrs the horn was blaring until the battery died. i waited for 4 days and recharged the battery, installed it back and the horn went back on, so i took the horn fuse out and attempted to start, all i hear is a click as if the starter was trying to engage, but no crank. Please anyone can help?

I will upload pics when i get back home in the morning, but i wanna give more info about what i observed. For some reason i discovered that the factory alarm/demobilizer indicator light on the dash lights up, i had installed an after market prestige remote start/ door lock system and the installer told me he had bypassed the factory one. So some guy told me the water might have activated the factory alarm which in turn has activated the starter kill, and is why the horn stays on and starter wont crank. Anyttime i put the battery terminals back, the truck locks automatically. Before, i had to lock and unlock with the aftermarket remote. The after market remote can still lock and unlock though. If I try to remote start it just clicks attempting to start, it repeats two times more and stops. He said i got to find a way to take out the factory alarm. I had bought a new starter and it still did not crank. Thats where am at.

The factory alarm is very easy to remove.
Pull the driver's seat out, under it will be a little black box. Now pull the DS kick panel so you can access the wiring.
Start tracing wires from the alarm to the where they connect behind the kick panel, and everywhere the alarm's harness is plugged in, unplug it and find the mating vehical plug and put them back together. The alarm is set up as plug and play except for the ground wire. That should be in a ring terminal screwed to a brace.

Thanks so much for your advice, I'll let you know
Please choose one thread to focus your questions in.

I think you have created 3 or 4 threads asking the same questions.

If you focus in one thread, the rest of us can "collaborate" on our assistance. If you have multiple places, then you get widely differing opinions and no one is consistent.

This will help you get better answers in the long run.

Since this particular threads would be more geared to a "build" thread, this may be the one to continue to ask and update.

Thanks!

Thanks. I took the seat out as advised. The black box says VIP security ECU. It is very wet and rusted. I took it out and ordered a new one. Wow

Welcome to the money pit!
Keeping up with these rigs ain’t cheap. But you’ll be happier-poorer but happier. Driving your rig will make you smile:steer:
Good luck!
Cheers!

@Omo9yja1 I am not sure you needed to order a new one. You could be back up and running already without it
The factory alarm is very easy to remove.
Pull the driver's seat out, under it will be a little black box. Now pull the DS kick panel so you can access the wiring.
Start tracing wires from the alarm to the where they connect behind the kick panel, and everywhere the alarm's harness is plugged in, unplug it and find the mating vehical plug and put them back together. The alarm is set up as plug and play except for the ground wire. That should be in a ring terminal screwed to a brace.
You will want to drain and replace the differential fluid in front and rear axles. That water inside won't do them any good. Once you get it back up and running you will want to wash any and all salt water out from it. that might mean pulling carpet and cleaning too.

Hey Clx16
You said i dont need to order a new one, how come the car didnt start when i took it out. You remember i said a guy said he had disabled it when he installed an aftermatket one many years ago. The water somehow made it reactivate. The starter is now cut off as the factory alarm light indicator comes on the dash. How can i get it to start without it please

The factory alarm is all plug and play.. in other words your LX was delivered to the US without an alarm. They only had to unplug some connectors and insert their own wiring hardness and that little box to give you an alarm. @Rusty Marlin 's instructions above tell you how to not bypass the factory alarm but take it back to its form when it was delivered to the US. That being said, since the factory alarm was "bypassed" by the aftermarket installer, in place of just removing it, I don't know where they spliced in and to what. It is a regular problem for all kinds of vehicles when vehicles have more than one security system. it adds points of failure... I don't remember the pin out but there is a jumper you can make for the plug under your seat to get you back started. I just am at work and can't search out the post for it at the moment. However below is a great reference regarding your alarm and wiring harness.

i would make sure you removed the factory alarm wiring harness before trying to troubleshoot the aftermarket device and the rest of the vehicle. If you can't do that, then find the post where someone shows you how to jumper the harness to get it started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom