For Sale 1997 Lexus LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
  2. LX450
Mileage
Color
White
Hi all,
I need some opinions on purchasing a 97 LX450.
More of a what it's worth post...
150k miles, factory lockers, front birfs needs rebuilding, engine leaking oil in front somewhere, engine also puffs white smoke on start up, driver front seat needs replacement, passenger rear inner fender starting to rot, front bumper slightly bend, PHH not done, new water pump, new brake master cylinder, rear axle seals recently done with new brake calipers installed.
Carfax reveled 1 front end damage, and 6 previous owners.
What else should I be looking for? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks you, Aloha!

35211.jpeg

35212.jpeg

35727.jpeg

35719.jpeg

35723.jpeg

35724.jpeg

35720.jpeg

35728.jpeg

35722.jpeg

20210717_110713.jpg

Sorry I forgot to mention, owner is asking 18K
Thanks again for all your input.

“Aloha”. I assume you are in Hawaii. I’ll bet that changes value significantly. If this 80 series was in the lower 48, I might give 12k for it, knowing it needs engine and body work. This one is tricky. The lack of options in Hawaii will likely have you paying more. But everyone in the market is paying more these days.
I’m in the market myself for a 95-97, and have found several good deals. They don’t last long and are snatched up quick. I’ll eventually find one. You know your desire and budget better than anyone. In the end, is it worth it?
anyone know rough cost to ship a vehicle to Hawaii? I’m still assuming you live there. Correct me if I’m wrong. Good luck!
Cheers! (Not from UK 😂)

“Aloha”. I assume you are in Hawaii. I’ll bet that changes value significantly. If this 80 series was in the lower 48, I might give 12k for it, knowing it needs engine and body work. This one is tricky. The lack of options in Hawaii will likely have you paying more. But everyone in the market is paying more these days.
I’m in the market myself for a 95-97, and have found several good deals. They don’t last long and are snatched up quick. I’ll eventually find one. You know your desire and budget better than anyone. In the end, is it worth it?
anyone know rough cost to ship a vehicle to Hawaii? I’m still assuming you live there. Correct me if I’m wrong. Good luck!
Cheers! (Not from UK 😂)
Aloha! Thanks for replying. Yes, I'm from Hawaii, and yes the LC/LX market is pretty small here, if you do find one it's either badly beaten or way over priced or badly beaten and overpriced 🤣.
What kind of money would I be looking at to get it base lined?
Thanks again for your input. Aloha!

If I wanted a long term truck, I'd add the cost of shipping from the states ($800?) to my budget and shop in a much larger pool of 80s.

If I wanted a long term truck, I'd add the cost of shipping from the states ($800?) to my budget and shop in a much larger pool of 80s.
Thank you! I've actually checked shipping prices and have included it in my budget...it actually ranges from 1500-2500. So it take a bit out of my purchase price if I do find one in the states.

Thank you! I've actually checked shipping prices and have included it in my budget...it actually ranges from 1500-2500. So it take a bit out of my purchase price if I do find one in the states.
That one seems to need some work.....so if you as long as you're up for a project maybe use the outstanding problems and negotiate the price down. It may have more problems than you know.....so just realize what you may be buying. Good luck.

That one seems to need some work.....so if you as long as you're up for a project maybe use the outstanding problems and negotiate the price down. It may have more problems than you know.....so just realize what you may be buying. Good luck.
Thanks again! I know I've got some work to do, we settled on 10k, and thinking of pulling the trigger on purchasing it. I know I'm going to do the front birfs, and head job along with changing all the problem hoses, as well as flush all fluids to start off this project.
Any other recommendations?
Thank you!

should be a good one. if the oil was changed........fairly low mileage. Good luck

the supercharger shortens the life of the engine some. Not sure of the percentage but at 150K miles it should be in good shape. Not sure when the SC was put on. But those engines are built to go a long time......
You'll need to track down the oil leaks ....that should be at the top of your list I suppose. But sounds like you've got everything planned already and there may be a few bumps......but have fun.

the supercharger shortens the life of the engine some. Not sure of the percentage but at 150K miles it should be in good shape. Not sure when the SC was put on. But those engines are built to go a long time......
You'll need to track down the oil leaks ....that should be at the top of your list I suppose. But sounds like you've got everything planned already and there may be a few bumps......but have fun.
Sorry maybe you misread something. This LX isn't supercharged, although I wish it was. 😂
Yes I have a plan of attack that I'm working on just not sure if I'm going to just pull the head or pull the entire motor and go through everything. Either way those oil leaks are gonna get taken care of.
Aloha!🤙

Cheers! (Not from UK 😂)
Shipped my LX450 for $1,500 from Colorado but that was 2-years ago. Probably $1,500 from West Coast now plus shipping wherever it comes from.

Sorry maybe you misread something. This LX isn't supercharged, although I wish it was. 😂
Yes I have a plan of attack that I'm working on just not sure if I'm going to just pull the head or pull the entire motor and go through everything. Either way those oil leaks are gonna get taken care of.
Aloha!🤙
Make Sure the Lockers work, check sunroof function, check the roof rails and look for hidden rust. Base line will cost you about $3k if you do it all yourself. Wit's End has the most comprehensive base line kits, plus Joey is a supporter of this Site and knows his s***! Not sure what you want to do. Lifting it the right way will cost you about $4k if you do the work $8K if you don't do the work and that is the low end depending upon how serious you are. Then you go to gearing, rims, tires, axles, bushings, tie-rods. Bumpers, lights Roof Rack, stereo, snorkel, dual batteries etc. Mine is far from stock and i do all my own work. Good Luck and you are in the right place. Be prepared to get scorched here but most people are helpful and there is all the information you need. Also, @OTRAMM has a pre-buyers guide. Oh and rebuilding the engine is gogin to run you $5k maybe and LS Swap. Do a leak down test before you do more than the head. The motors are good for 500K miles. Wit's end has a Turbo Kit i am lusting after, but my central A/C s*** the Bed and set me back 2-1/2 turbos. so that will have to wait! Aloha!

Make Sure the Lockers work, check sunroof function, check the roof rails and look for hidden rust. Base line will cost you about $3k if you do it all yourself. Wit's End has the most comprehensive base line kits, plus Joey is a supporter of this Site and knows his s***! Not sure what you want to do. Lifting it the right way will cost you about $4k if you do the work $8K if you don't do the work and that is the low end depending upon how serious you are. Then you go to gearing, rims, tires, axles, bushings, tie-rods. Bumpers, lights Roof Rack, stereo, snorkel, dual batteries etc. Mine is far from stock and i do all my own work. Good Luck and you are in the right place. Be prepared to get scorched here but most people are helpful and there is all the information you need. Also, @OTRAMM has a pre-buyers guide. Oh and rebuilding the engine is gogin to run you $5k maybe and LS Swap. Do a leak down test before you do more than the head. The motors are good for 500K miles. Wit's end has a Turbo Kit i am lusting after, but my central A/C s*** the Bed and set me back 2-1/2 turbos. so that will have to wait! Aloha!
Thank for the info bro! Lockers work as it should, sunroof works as well. Checked high and low for rust including where the jack and tools sit, only rust I found was in the driver rear inner fender near the mud flap.
I plan to do all the repairs and rebuilds myself, planning on hitting the engine, trans, tranfer case and axles first. Then work on lifting, looking to do a 4-6" lift and planning to change tie rod ends, rear links, bushing ect. Not a big fan of changing the bumpers so that'll stay stock, might invest in a roof rack with some kind of awning in the future, I already have a set of 17x12 wheels I'm planning on using, probably with 35's, if I feel it's lagging badly I'll consider gearing.
Lastly, I plan to send it off to paint (the only thing that I won't be doing myself).
Have to plan accordingly, cause I'm thinking shipping parts is going to kill me. 😂
Sorry to hear about you A/C, but those turbos looks crazy. I wouldn't mind investing it a kit at some point, unless I can find a supercharger.
Aloha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom