Builds 1997 Lexus LX450 - Rexus the 500 HP LS SWAPPED LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sooooo im new to the cruiser world, been monitoring IH8MUD for a little over a year and never really posted as I didnt really need to. I have wheeled with some of the CA-AB Ghost Wheelers in the past but not very actively

A little bit about my past...... I had built a fairly substantial 2011 Toyota Tacoma DCLB. Full Fox suspension with a fairly custom rear suspension set-up, she was locked front and rear and was in the process of getting 37's when my welder ran into some complications and lit the interior on fire.........

she was my baby and took me everywhere......... so I was pretty hard pressed to decide to let insurance take her away but I really did not feel like trying to replace the whole dash and interior wiring harness and could not find a shop actually willing to fix it.....

I was pretty set on buying a 1st gen taco but who knew in Alberta finding one worth buying was much harder than it looked...... So I had widened my search area and found a few good ones worth looking at, but the prices were a little outrageous for what I was getting. I had wanted a 80 series quite sometime ago, but never had the space before nor the time.

So further to my novel..... I found this gem in the rough all the way in Abbotsford, BC!!!!! He had it posted for 7500 and flew to Abbotsford and scooped it up for 6500

The next day I was a little bored of the factory stereo and seeing how the antenna was missing I knew I was going to need a CD player and navigation. So befoe i left the Vancouver Area I got a Kenwood DNX890D put in.

The next week I spent some time getting her figured out, first things first was trying to figure out what it had for a lift. The PO was not sure the actual kit, but just said it was from Man-a-free

So I got underneath and looked a little harder, she has OME 850J's up front with 1.5" spacers and OME 863J's in the rear. OME 60070L's for shocks. With Castor Correction Bushings

I replaced the coolant with a flush and still feel the need but have this gut feeling I should replace the rad for an alluminum rad before winter

Performed an oil change and the oil come out clean and no extras but the oil pan seems fairly deep and could be hiding something.

I decided I knew enough about the truck I felt safe taking it to our local offroad park and spending the day getting to know how she wheeled and she did not let me down!!!!

Last edited:
Current Mods

315/75/16 GY Durataks on an unknown manufacturer rims - Winter
37/12.5/17 GY Kevlars on TR Beadlocks - Summer
OME J 3.5" lift with Camber correction bushings
Kenwood DNX890HD Navigation Unit
4XINNOVATIONS - Rock bolt on rock sliders
Front Runner Roof Rack
Tepui Roof Top Tent
Nitro Chromoly Birfields
AOE 4x4 Front Bumper
Landtank Rear Sway Bar Upper Links
Sequoia 150 Amp Alternator
OEM Hand Throttle
Upgraded Battery Cabling to 1/0
Sean Huston Custom Rear Dual Swingaway Rear Bumper
Nitro 5.29's
Corbeau XRS Baja Seats
Landtank Blue Clutch Fan
Man-A-Free SS Brake Lines

Maintenance I've performed since purchasing at 371000 km

flushed coolant - 373k
front diff fluid - 373k
rear diff fluid - 373k
factory deck with Kenwood - sept 2013
full axle service - 379k
front brake pads - 100 series pads - 379k
front brake rotors - direct from Toyota - 379k
front brake callipers - Napa brand - 379k
new brake fluid - 379k
swaybar bushings - 379k
Rear brake rotors - 380k (May 2014)
Rear brake pads - 380k (May 2014)
Drained all coolant and installed new hoses 381k (July 2014)
Power Steering Pump - 381k (July 2014)
New Oil Pump Seal - 381k (July 2014)
New Main Seal - 381k (July 2014)
Spark Plug Wires - 381k (July 2014)
Spark Plugs - 381k (July 2014)
Distributor Cap - 381k (July 2014)
New 150 amp Alternator - 381k (July 2014)

In the pipeline

8274 Warn Winch - will be changing the motor to a 9.5XP potentially twin motor
Chromoly Rear axles
No-Name Snorkle
Monstaliner exterior
Slee CDL Switch

Last edited:
Sorry about your Taco.. that sucks
That is one mean looking LX congrats :)

Good luck on working out the bugs

welcome :cheers:

Has the muffler bearings been replaced as well?

Great start, it's always a bonus to buy a lifted rig, that's how I started out on mine. Planning on doing gears with those 37"s?

I'm running the same lift and tire size and plan on doing spring spacers as well as a 1" body lift to make some more clearance for the tires. The flares will also probably get in the way of the tires. They are easy to remove, just find a tree and drive real close to it.

what's a camber correction kit for an 80? is that like blinker fluid?

camber_bearing_88920_250.jpg

Front Adjustment Range: Cam/Cas 3° Required: 1 kit per wheel

These offset bearing kits provide 3° of camber and/or caster change for the Toyota Land Cruiser / Lexus LX450's.

and further to my investigation she has the OME caster correction bushings, but I still dont know if its enough..... I am thinking either the correction plate or some new Slee arms

Well congrats. I've seen that truck around town, usually parked in downtown Abbotsford over the last few years. I stopped to look at it once before I lifted my LX because I liked its stance. Never did run into the owner, though I figured it was an OME lift.

It seemed to be in reasonably good shape, body wise. I'm not sure I'd want to plaster it in bed liner head to toe, especially since it is pretty straight, but to each his own I guess.

Well congrats. I've seen that truck around town, usually parked in downtown Abbotsford over the last few years. I stopped to look at it once before I lifted my LX because I liked its stance. Never did run into the owner, though I figured it was an OME lift.

It seemed to be in reasonably good shape, body wise. I'm not sure I'd want to plaster it in bed liner head to toe, especially since it is pretty straight, but to each his own I guess.

its far from nice, nice from far

she looks cleaner than she is, for a '97 i cant really complain, but the A pillar is mangled, lots of little dents and I really really really want to lose the flares :p I would not be going with textured bedliner, but for the most part its a nice rig

Ill bust out the camera to show some of the imperfections

Welcome Joe!

Glad to see a build thread going for the LX. Ditch the cladding... it looks way better and wont get mangled by those big 37's!

Jelly of your lockers... mines only got an Aussie in the rear!

Welcome Joe!

Glad to see a build thread going for the LX. Ditch the cladding... it looks way better and wont get mangled by those big 37's!

Jelly of your lockers... mines only got an Aussie in the rear!

Hey Addison!!!

Yah i was pretty pumped it had lockers, otherwise first thing I was going to do was lockers :p

the cladding will go, ill probably just live with holes in the fenders for a while :p

PHH silicone kit ordered, along with some new silicone heater hoses as my bottom and top hoses have a bulge in them

Great looking rig, Bulhas!

Curious to know what you mean by upgraded rear axle?

shop says that they are upgraded chromoly axles, IDK much about these trucks yet, so not sure if they have a chromoly option

im hoping however to swap CV's on my next set of days off, and get here ready for a trip to southern alberta in the near future :D

took it out wheeling.......

IMG_4411.jpg

1383923_10153327849670214_1460999672_n.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

1378411_10153327848800214_199019756_n.jpg

1375051_10153327834050214_1623630104_n.jpg

You almost rolled!!!!!

hahahahaha yah that was a little close :p

a little back story i GUESS

was going past the washout slowly, wife says you have some room to our right, the tree isnt that close.... me I dont have rock sliders yet I really dont need to ding the body.....(not that its in great shape), i look out my window, i go we have a foot of space on this side, about two seconds later the ground gave out from under us........

needless to say she didnt say anything to me for 6 hour drive back home.... Thank god I had vindication KOH 2013 in the GPS/DVD/HU so i had something good to listen to for 3 hours until we got into radio reception land

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom