1997 Lexus LX 450 what to look for when buying?? Help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Considering a 97 LX 450, 2 owner with 260k, detailed service history with new leather, brakes, tires, radiator, as well as other types of common leaks that have been fixed according to the seller.

I know very little about the 80 series and if there are any major differences between Toyota and Lexus in 1997?

What is a fair price for this vehicle with 260k original miles and all of these fairly new parts?

Please help me with questions to ask seller and their mechanic which she has provided access to? The pics represent a mint exterior and interior but she didn't include any under carriage shots or engine. The LX 450 has always been in Missouri and parked under a carport but not garaged.

Thanks from the newest member, I would love to hear from the experts!!

Slee off road, 80 buyers guid or newbie guide I can't remember.

Thanks Jason I will look up Slee off road, I'm assuming that is a website that I could view the newbie guide?

Any help with what I should pay? She probably won't move much from 9k

I know these keep coming up, and I'll offer my opinion. And I just bought one out of kc for $3300 w/240k.

$4000 is the top that I would pay for an 80. Unless there has been some work that I would consider to carry value. That would be axle seals with new bearings, I would ask what grease and bearings were used. Head gasket done, I would ask what gasket was installed, were the injectors done along with valves, studs upgraded? Phh and what hose and what clamps? New foam with seats? Who's leather kit was used? How often have u joints been greased? Regardless what is said, 9 times out of ten, if you had to ask, they weren't doing it.

Otherwise you'll end up with a huge time suck and a black hole near your wallet. Which some are OK with, myself included.

Thanks for the heads up, it sounds like she has it way to high and not willing to come down south of 8k I'm guessing, I'm not even sure about lockers?

That type of intel makes me wonder if the 80 series would be way to mechanical for me since I just want an in town only daily driver that no one else would be driving in town? I'm not a mechanic and I would have to trust the local Toyota dealer to do the maintenance and not hammer me on potential repairs. Do you think I would have better luck with a 1997 Toyota instead of Lexus? Probably same issues? What about the 100 series compared to 80 series maintenance and common repairs?

IMO, if looking for the sweet spot in value for a grocery getter, 100 series is it. I'm sure there are other things to look for and others are more knowledgeable on the subject, but if a 100 series has 100k on the clock, you want to ask about timing belt replacement.

I hate to steer you away from the 80's, but unless this lady has done some major work you'll be stuck with the pile of crap. And for someone not doing the work, you're going to lose your shirt. That probably can be extended to any vehicle with 260k miles. Sure, if was a grand, buy, drive and toss when it dies. Rinse and repeat. But what people will pay for 80's right now, it is nutz.

I just bought one with similar miles for 4500. It did need some work - shocks, brakes, power steering leak, and exhaust. I will do all of that and barring any trouble it will cost about 500 bucks. If I couldn't do the work it would be triple that for sure. I should have held at 4000 but you cant find them around here.

Look for leaks and clean fluids. Leaks around wheels = axel seals.

Thanks again for all the help from experts on the forum:):) I have asked her to provide service records for axles and bearings, u joints greased, foam and leather replacements, head gasket, etc..?? Starting to wonder if the 100 series would be more reliable and less maintenance but love the looks of the 97 Land Cruiser and LX 450. What would you guys recommend if she has done all above work already but won't go below $7500?

Her pictures do not show any rust at all on body but she hasn't provided pics of under the hood or frame, axles, etc.. I just want a unique LC to drive between hospitals to haul my stuff and kids but no highway miles or off roading will be attempted. I have 2011 LX 570 for those days:)

I got lucky ( I thought ) and bought a 96 fzj 80 locked for 400 bucks , but after
tires, brakes, used engine, then head gasket, j spring lift, drive lines, front axel rebuild. And a bunch of other stuff I an into it 10,000. And I haven't even put sliders or bumpers on it yet. If you can find a sweet one with all the mods that some one was board with it might save you money in the long run. These rigs are sweet but there is a lot that can and will go wrong and it can cost $$$$$. If you are the type that doesn't like to work on vehicles I would not recommend getting one.

The seller of the LX 450 replied back with scans of service records and states that the axles, bearings, etc. were sealed. U joints have been greased but not sure when was the latest. Currently no leaks or check engine lights and also said no lights ever but is that even possible? In the past year she has replaced all seats with foam and leather, new Michelins, brakes, interstate battery. She said she has had to replace the radiator twice because of leading, what does that mean? She says all electronics work great including radio and speakers. She did just email for the first time pics of engine and under carriage and from my view I couldn't see any rust but my eyes may not detect from pics obviously I would be very careful to check for rust if I decide to meet her for test drive. It sounds like I could purchase for $7600 on Tuesday. What do you guys think? Should I go back to original plan and find a 100 series for less than $8k and maybe add a old man lift and beefier tires or go with my heart and try to make this 97 LX 450 work for in town daily driver? I would probably not put a lift on LX 450 but maybe change to a more rugged tire? Please advise, Thx

Pictures show it to be excellent condition but I haven't driven it yet because it's about 4 hours from my town. What are the most expensive repairs I could face with this 1997 LX 450, 2 owner with 260k, she stated she has babied it more than her kids, she also has provided about 3 different mechanic shops for me to call but I really wouldn't know what to ask except what I have learned from this forum

FullSizeRender(7).jpg

FullSizeRender(6).jpg

FullSizeRender(9).jpg

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

HG.

There isn't much on an 80/LX450 that even a beginner can't fix. Even the dreaded head gasket isn't really difficult, more so time consuming and having to send the head out to be machined.

Everything else is doable if you are willing to get your hands dirty.

Having someone else do the maintenance on an 80 will get very expensive.

There is very little difference between an 80 and LX450. The main difference is that the LX450 comes with a bunch of useless upgrades (stereo, exterior cladding, Starbucks holders, and pink panties).

80s are not expensive to own long term. My 92 I bought new and am right at $200/month to own it. What else are you going to buy for $200/month? Answer: Nothing cool.

$7600 doesn't seem all that outrageous. Assuming it runs well and looks as good as it does in the pics. Plus it has the magic button (factory locking axles) that everyone kills for.

If you got the money and want it, but it. If $7600 is all of your money then cross your fingers and hope you get by for a few months and save up some money for when things pop up that need fixing.

The two radiators needing replaced is concerning to me because that can mean overheating. Overheating a 1FZ-FE is catastrophic. It almost always results in a blown head gasket. If it did blow and it was repaired properly then great. No biggie. If it wasn't be prepared to pay $2500-3500 to the dealer to have it done. OR do it yourself for $1000!

Good luck!

Nice, I would check the radiator cap and surge tank for oil and the dip stick for water after a long test drive.

If you say you are looking just for a regular daily driver why on earth buy a 260k miles 80 series? For the regular daily driver there are a lot more comfortable and reliable toyota trucks out there, for example, the 4runner (probably be able to get a mid 2000 with a lot less miles for 8k). If you aren't going to do the maintenance yourself the 80 is a money pit and frankly not all that comfortable. I'm 6' 3" and even with the cloth seats there isn't that much room in the driver seat. Not to mention it's terrible gas mileage and lack of power.

The 80 series shines offroad, but for a daily there are so many better trucks. If you want a go anywhere vehicle you can't beat the 80, but if you only plan on hanging around town it seems hardly worth it in my mind. Go with the 100 or a newer 4runner.

Now to end my rant and answer your initial question, here in socal a decent condition 80 without lockers and no extra goodies can be found around 6 to 7k if you are patient and scour Craigslist regularly. I think 8500 is highly considering that even with good maintenance hoses and bushings probably need to be replaced. If you don't do the work yourself thode items can be quite costly.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, it is locked...Not sure if the OP or owner realized it. Maybe you could pass on the seller information for somebody from here that may be interested.

There are three 100 series on Craigslist in St. Louis, 2 1/2 hours north of you.

This thread is timed perfectly. I signed up looking for advice as well. Will be picking up a mechanic owned 1997 lx 450 with factory lockers and 220000 mi for $5500. I will do the birf maint once it gets here though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom