1997 LC Steering (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The real question I have is way are using your LC as a daily driver at 80-100 miles per day?
Because we can. I do 15K -20K miles per year.

These were made to be driven.

You have an issue with that?

I'm at 13K/yr since 2018. I've never avg'ed so many miles per year let alone owned a car for this long a period. The 80: oldest, most high maint car in my ownership history, has proven to be my auto ADD antidote. Insane.

P.S. And this isn't my only "fun" car

P.P.S. I have a new OEM p steering box combined with a Dobinsons steering damper set at 6 --> drives like a champ!

Last edited:

You have an issue with that?
I’m just looking at it from an economic and logical point of view. Well aware I am not going to change anybody’s mind. So no point in debating it.

I’m just looking at it from an economic and logical point of view. Well aware I am not going to change anybody’s mind. So no point in debating it.
Maybe we should go spend $45K on a car that gets 35 mpg? Would that be a better investment?

Maybe we should go spend $45K on a car that gets 35 mpg? Would that be a better investment?

Ride a bike..... or a motorcycle!!!!!

Ride a bike..... or a motorcycle!!!!!
Ride a bike..... or a motorcycle!!!
E7E9E128-3C9D-4B3A-B0B8-5DA229555A49.jpeg

Update:

Steering issue he returned. After replacing the front wheel bearings, new tires, and alignment it drove much better. However, over the course of a few weeks it progressively got worse again. It got to the point where something was obviously wrong and I didn’t want to continue doing damage to something. I decided to check the wheel bearings with the 12 o’clock-6oclock method and there was what seemed to be a considerable amount of play in both. 1/4”-1/2”

I Took it back to the shop for their opinion and to have them make sure I wasn’t off base. The response I received was “all those old vehicles have loose bearings, they’re supposed to have play in them, that’s how they’re made”…I disagreed and pushed to have them look at it anyway. After checking the bearings they actually agreed there shouldn’t be THIS much play. He was guessing a 1/4-1/2” of movement as well.….I was told the bearings just needed retightened because with new bearing it will take some time for them to “seat”…I questioned them about the required ft/lbs they should be tightened in order to seat them, backing it off, then Retightening it again to spec…The shop said that they just tighten by hand and don’t use torque wrenches because if it’s too tight it’ll burn it up…so long story short they tighten the bearings back up and off I go.

Everything drove much better again, but, after a couple weeks it is now back to the same symptoms only now it’s making an occasional “grinding” type of noise in the front end. I’m Not sure if this is a new sound or related but the steering issues are definitely back as well as play in the wheel bearings.

There is definite visible movement again and a “clunking” noise can be heard when pushing on the tire at 6 o’clock/12 o’clock.

Any ideas on where to start with diagnostics?

I’ve lost faith in that particular mechanic but wonder if I have a larger issue brewing. This is my daily driver at 80-100mile/day to work and back.
You always need to check/retorque the bearings after replacement, so they're properly seated. So your mechanic was kind of wrong on that. But sounds like they went out of adjustment again.

Do the @BILT4ME adjustment and you should be good.

For the steering box adjustment, I had similar wandering issues some years ago and did as @baldilocks suggested, and it made a world of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom