1997 Landcruiser Should I Sell ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would throw this out to the general public of Lc owners. I was after a 1997 fj80 non-lockers for two years, and two months ago the previous owner decided to sell to me. So I bought Reluctantly due to frame axle rust. Trying to figure out if I should restore or part.

The Bad:
Needs Axle Housings front and back(Sourced)
Needs minor body work very little Rear Hatch Near Window
Front and Rear Bumpers(Sourced)
Wheels Powder Coated
Frame Sand Blasted/Painted
New Tires
Knuckle Rebuild

The Good
105k on clock
Interior is perfect seats have no cracks. Clean Clean Looks Brand New No Joke
Everything works as should And it’s clean and tight.

What would you guys do. I currently own a 1997 collector’s edition black for 10 years. This pass year I have replaced or updated everything that the truck needed, spent around 15k on the collector’s. All that is left to do is a engine rebuild as it is nearing 300k (still runs perfect) and probably a paint job and to spray the frame to preserve the frame. This truck has no rust anywhere the frame has no rust or axles. So what would you do? After spending so much on my collector’s would you guys restore a 97 with 105k on it. I see what 80”s are going for on bat but do you guys think the market is going to level off? I am not sure there is a bigger 80 lover then me just don’t want to put money in a regular 80 if it’s not worth it. FYI I bought the new 80 with 105k on it for cheap cheap

7C0ACDFE-B351-40E1-B2FB-BFE018CD66C9.jpeg

I think how much you bought it for has relevance for people to give you an honest opinion. “Cheap, cheap” is relative and subjective.

Once you provide the details with pictures, people can give you a better opinion on your course of action.

Last edited:
If it has the same interior color as your Collectors I’d keep it as a parts truck. Sell the stuff you don’t think you’ll ever need. Swap the low mile engine over when you want.

no way I’d bother restoring a rusty one.

or buy a set of 40’s and a sawzall, trim until they fit, strip out the interior, then wheel it hard.

The frame and body mounts are good frame needs just wire wheeled.
I paid 5k for it with the thought of having a low mileage drive train to swap. but after running numbers I think I can get this truck to where it should be all in for 15k. No check engine light runs Great. @Corbet different color I wish. The previous owner had dreams of e-locking and installed the diff switch IT DOES NOT HAVE LOCKERS.

Other side not my collectors is going to ottram for new gears and installing e-lockers front and rear and incorporating the factory diff switch can’t wait.

2A4D2A7B-61E9-4591-B805-C7C4E0839BC4.jpeg

11E339C0-E957-4733-A334-02A07DB159A6.jpeg

5A539574-F3A0-4F46-90F6-9F58010A06CB.jpeg

048711C1-984F-41A3-BB0F-D725449EB090.jpeg

F731E99A-FB15-4237-9742-6762A333EF2E.jpeg

Where would I find one?? That would be the easiest. I sourced the axles at landcruiser heaven maybe he has a frame?

There are three dudes that I know of who part 80s. There are probably more. @arcteryx @Deathvalleypaul @slow95z

Low miles, great body and interior, I think you have a long term parts truck and/or solid project to reconstitute this vehicle and save it.

No way I could ship something that large right now in our current shipping situation. Basically impossible to get trucks here right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom