1997 Landcruiser, mods any advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, im a 17 year old who has a landcruiser hand me down from his mom. I am working as a life guard this summer and will make over $10,000. I really want to get a lift new rims and tires ( 38"-44"). any other mods people suggest. thanks

DO SCHEDULED PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE FIRST. Birfield and wheel bearing repack or replacement as needed. PHH fix etc.. Use search to find or FAQ thread. Newbie training!

Remove step rails and install sliders. ARB front bump winch ready, Rear bumper 4x4 labs.. And bam a big increase in ability and less damage on the trail.

Then do a lift and tires..

Oh and 38" to 44" Probably not going to happen..

For your first mod run 315/75R16s many easy to install lifts can make those practical and capable.

The birfield joints have been known to blow with super huge tires like that.

Last edited:
yea i goss a suhgession fo daht azz. jack daht s*** up so hyye u neez a laddah to get up in dahh s*** , cop dem 50" tyrahz off a construction truck , slap a turbo o two on daht biznitch , proceed to shmack hoes frum dah drivers seat wiff a long azz dowel an runn ovah dah on cummin trizzaffickk!! BITTCHH!

you'll really be needing that $10k for gas money! First, baseline the vehicle's fluids and do the preventative maintenance items such as PHH, Blue hub fan clutch, OEM air filter, plugs, cap & rotor, belts, HIR headlamp bulbs...then start with your 'fun' items like OME lift kit (if this is a DD I'd stay away from lifts that require addt'l mods...just MHO), 33" - 35" tires and sliders...and get a Slee TC skid plate. You can also do the Pin 7 mod for free and add the CDL switch for small $. Lastly, go for broke and armor-up the front & rear of the vehicle with bumpers and winch.

yea i goss a suhgession fo daht azz. jack daht **** up so hyye u neez a laddah to get up in dahh **** , cop dem 50" tyrahz off a construction truck , slap a turbo o two on daht biznitch , proceed to shmack hoes frum dah drivers seat wiff a long azz dowel an runn ovah dah on cummin trizzaffickk!! BITTCHH!

impressive first post...we really need more like you

Howdy-doo, im a 17 year old who has a lan'cruizzu han' me down fum his mom, dawgone it. ah's wawkin' as a life guard this hyar summer an' will make on over $10,000. ah pow'ful be hankerin' t'git a lif' noo rims an' tires ( 38"-44"). enny other mods varmints suggest. thanks

Just in case it is not an urban truck!

First thing make sure all your fluids are good and take care of any premtive maintance. As far as the mods it is really up to you and what you will be doing with your truck. I put about 6 grand into mine with CD player/speakers ARB front bumper water proof seat covers and a few other things. I am sure you will find $10,000 will go real fast.

im in the wrong business if this kid is makin 10 grand as a lifeguard over the summer!!!

Do basic maintenance, and save the rest for college.

Do basic maintenance, and save the rest for college.

x2 - We all know it is :cool: to own a pimped out rig at 17 but seriously do the basic PM stuff and maybe a few low key mods and save the rest for a good education that will get you a career earning a lot more than $10K over the summer and then mod out the Cruiser. I may sound like an old fart (and to you I probably would be), but I'd be more impressed and I bet so would your mom if you didn't take her hand me down and f it up.

Personally, if you REALLY want 38" + tires then I don't think the FZJ80 is the vehicle for you. You're gonna blow all of that $10K getting there and I doubt you'll be happy with the results. And, as you break stuff then you'll have no ride 'cuz you won't be able to afford to fix what you broke :steer:. A running FZJ80 on 35's is :cool: enough for most...A broken FZJ80 on 38s or 44's ain't all that :cool:

If you have your heart set of spending all that $$ and going "big" then I'd look up some of CodyRx7's threads and look at what he has done. That is probably close to what you are wanting to do. CodyRx7's rig is pretty dang sweet but I think he is in a different point in life than you are :hmm:

Yep, do the basic stuff and this truck will go anywhere you want to go. Anything beyond 35's is a lot of money for not much benefit at best and a lot of repair at worst. And speaking from personal experience, not saving for college is really stupid and hard to make up for later.
Good luck and congrats on the best hand me down I've ever seen!

x2 - We all know it is :cool: to own a pimped out rig at 17 but seriously do the basic PM stuff and maybe a few low key mods and save the rest for a good education that will get you a career earning a lot more than $10K over the summer and then mod out the Cruiser. I may sound like an old fart (and to you I probably would be), but I'd be more impressed and I bet so would your mom if you didn't take her hand me down and f it up.

Personally, if you REALLY want 38" + tires then I don't think the FZJ80 is the vehicle for you. You're gonna blow all of that $10K getting there and I doubt you'll be happy with the results. And, as you break stuff then you'll have no ride 'cuz you won't be able to afford to fix what you broke :steer:. A running FZJ80 on 35's is :cool: enough for most...A broken FZJ80 on 38s or 44's ain't all that :cool:

If you have your heart set of spending all that $$ and going "big" then I'd look up some of CodyRx7's threads and look at what he has done. That is probably close to what you are wanting to do. CodyRx7's rig is pretty dang sweet but I think he is in a different point in life than you are :hmm:

yeah thanks for the suggestions. and ive already thought out college. i actually have crohns disease and can got to any state school in MASS for free. so pretty much im allset there. and i alreadt know i want to go there for engineering. but thanks and now i know where my first paycheck is going

OK, from an enigineer, it is only a myth that engineers are only good with numbers and can't spell. May want to work on that while you are pimping out your Cruiser:)

Good luck - Curt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom