Derusted and repainted the chasis and axles. Thankfully it had only minor surface rust, which is rare for a vehicle that was kept on the Mozambique coast for many years, the body however had serious rust issues so i was glad i was replacing it.
Hi everyone, thought i would share my project that i have been working onfor the last year. Rebuilding a 1997 vx manual 1hdt 80 series that rolled. Doing a body swap and engine rebuild.View attachment 2640897
The donor body was an automatic so i had to covert the transmission tunnel. The dash board and cubby between the seats was quite an ordeal, the 1991 and 1997 dashboards are very quite different so had to move over alot of mounts and brackets to make it all fit. The clutch pedal brackets also had to be installed, so had to really make sure my measurements where correct.
Reunited the body and chasis. I also installed the factory dual fuel tank system to this vehicle, so now she can carry 140l of diesel. She can also carrie two spare wheels now with the 1997 coming with the spare wheel mount underneath and the donor bcar having a wheel carrier on the back. Was originally planning on spraying it that landcruiser khaki colour but decided on 1G3 toyota graphite gray with black trim. Definitely a good look on the 80
Replaced the carpet with a good second hand one and got all the interior back in. The door cards were in bad shape, a dog had chewed the arm rests but recovering them was relatively easy. There was too much grey in the original interior for my taste so i changed the steering wheel to a black one and the door armrests to black as well to match the exterior colour theme. I dont like the blueish grey chairs so will definitely get some nice canvas covers for them asap.
The axles, diffs and brakes got a full check up and rebuild as well with all new seals and bearings. Its all in the details, so all the small bits also got a good clean and repaint. The old lenses were still in good shape so they got wet sanded with 1500 grit and polished. They turned out well as can be seen in the before and after.
When reinstalling the rear pinion i somehow managed to strip the pinions threads, the nut gauld when it was half way on somehow and to reverse it off meant taking half the threads with it. Luckily with some welding and with a tap i was able to rescue it.
The engine was next, over 400 000km had taken their tole and it was cranked whilst it still had oil in the cylinders so two conrods were bent in the process. The head was ok so i hand lapped the valves and put new seals there.Got the block rebored and sleeved, put all new toyota bearings and seals in it, new pistons, water pump and what ever else it desired.
Engine was in but still need to get the new valve shims before being able to let it run for any length or time. She started right up first try. When the shims arrive i will start the break in procedure.