1997 Land Cruiser OBD FUSION App Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a Veepeak obd2 reader to talk to my old iPhone 8; previously, I was using an android tablet and reader but the reader was a larger one that it was in danger of hitting my left knee while driving.

I bought the VeePeak from Amazon ($25), and OBD Fusion ($9.99) and the Toyota PID set up ($14.99)…am I missing something or is there no way to add in Transmission Temp?

What gauges are you running on yours? Like my Android set up I was thinking:

Coolant Temp
Oil temp
MPG Trip
MPG Overall
Voltage

I’d love to see pics of your gauge set up for this app!

Thanks in advance!

I’m disappointed - not that it breaks the bank but the $15 for the Toyota PID was a waste..:I thought it would show trans temp and other specs I would need/like to see.
Transmission temp is not available to the obd system..

Sorry...

Lutz Auto has a kit that can add transmission temp probe and display.
Eh, it happens.
My own fault for not researching it’s contents enough.

Thanks!

Transmission temp is not available to the obd system.
It actually is, you just have to create a user-defined PID to access it. The transmission has a temperature sensor in it.

create a user-defined PID to access it

Is this doable with a reasonable amount of effort? I'm a programmer by trade so could likely figure it out but haven't dug into it and don't want to dive in if it's a can of worms. I've heard there is a trans temp sensor but I didn't know if it was surfaced to the odb2 port.

My realtime gauges of choice in the Torque app, in order of relevance to me, currently are:

-coolant temp
-intake temp
-throttle
-boost
-accel
-speed
-revs

I'd like to add trans temp, real time air fuel ratio(s) / o2 feedback and engine oil temp via odb2 but haven't looked into those. I've had these additional metrics in other vehicles with aftermarket senders/gauges and found them pretty useful though I could also tune/adjust those engines more than I likely would the 80.

There's a thread on it here (somewhere) and a post on it (for another Toyota model) I have bookmarked somewhere in my library (which may or may not be retrievable).

The idea is that the transmission temperature sensor signal is routed to a high limit switch on the ECU board logic. What needs to be done is to create a PID that relates the thermistor resistance to a temperature scale and then route that to the logical gauge in the app. The thermistor values are in the FSM.

IIRC, the thread for the "other" toyota model (it may have been a Celica) used Torque Pro, but don't quote me on that. I'll try to find it.

Thanks for the extra info @Malleus . Any further tidbits or links are appreciated. I'll be towing the camper with the 80 on a 600+ mile trip in about a week so I may see if I can find and map this signal to a gauge.

One question, in case you know more, does the high limit switching limit the availability of the temp signal to odb2? In other words is the limit switch converting trans temp to a binary of cool enough or too hot / over the high limit? I assume your statement below does not mean that, but wasn't sure.
transmission temperature sensor signal is routed to a high limit switch on the ECU board logic

I haven't found a list of ODBII signals; I doubt one exists publicly. If it does, someone has backtraced it.

If I understand you correctly, the transmission temperature signal, as near as I can make out, is only connected to the high limit switch on the ECU, which is also connected to the light (not the MIL, for some reason) on the combo meter.

Toyota, in its infinite wisdom decided to shut off the engine if the engine oil level is low, but not if the transmission overheated. Maybe they thought the likelihood of occurrence was too low to warrant it. Anyway, I can't find any documentation to suggest the signal goes anywhere else.

AFAIK, there is no OBDII transmission temperature signal at all. The Toyota test equipment may have access to it, but the OTC OBDII tools do not. It would be nice if there was a factory Toyota tech on here that had access (either currently or in the past) to the dealer tools who could say for sure. I haven't tried using Techstream to find the signal; I'll put that on the list.

Thanks for the extra info @Malleus . Any further tidbits or links are appreciated. I'll be towing the camper with the 80 on a 600+ mile trip in about a week so I may see if I can find and map this signal to a gauge.

One question, in case you know more, does the high limit switching limit the availability of the temp signal to odb2? In other words is the limit switch converting trans temp to a binary of cool enough or too hot / over the high limit? I assume your statement below does not mean that, but wasn't sure.
I know some have rigged a tee, or wye, into the transmission temperature sensor port and installed a second temperature sensor to run to a dedicated gauge. That's absolutely the easier solution, although not the most elegant, for sure.

However, in the immortal words of the imminent sage, Mr. Einstein, "elegance is for tailors".

Is this doable with a reasonable amount of effort? I'm a programmer by trade so could likely figure it out but haven't dug into it and don't want to dive in if it's a can of worms. I've heard there is a trans temp sensor but I didn't know if it was surfaced to the odb2 port.

My realtime gauges of choice in the Torque app, in order of relevance to me, currently are:

-coolant temp
-intake temp
-throttle
-boost
-accel
-speed
-revs

I'd like to add trans temp, real time air fuel ratio(s) / o2 feedback and engine oil temp via odb2 but haven't looked into those. I've had these additional metrics in other vehicles with aftermarket senders/gauges and found them pretty useful though I could also tune/adjust those engines more than I likely would the 80.
I was using Torque Pro with the Android Tablet I have but the tablet, while I like the size, was too big...so it's been resting down by the shifter. I just don't want to have to look down...I wanted something more eye level. I thought about ScanGuage (and it's main competitor that I can't remember) but didn't want to drop the $100+ for it...so i went this route.

Sadly, Torque Pro doesn't talk to iOS. I have a trail run tomorrow through Black Butte to Madras, Oregon so I'll use the OBD Fusion app on the iphone positioned next to my A-Pillar. it doesn't seem to have the same options as Torque Pro, which kinda bums me out, but it is what it is. If I don't like it, then I'm not out too much; the device itself talks to Android so if nothing else, I have a much more shallow device plugged in that I don't risk hitting my knee on.

I MOSTLY just wanted a real time accounting for temps...Coolant, Oil, and Transmission. if I can set up a transmission readout, like noted above, I'll be happier. Right now I have it set to read:

Coolant Temp
Trip MPG
Average MPG
Voltage

Thanks, and if you did into the programming of it, let me know...I'm a long ways away form my original schooling of programming (like 15 years or so) but I'd be interested in taking a look/assisting in any way possible!

I haven't found a list of ODBII signals; I doubt one exists publicly. If it does, someone has backtraced it.

If I understand you correctly, the transmission temperature signal, as near as I can make out, is only connected to the high limit switch on the ECU, which is also connected to the light (not the MIL, for some reason) on the combo meter.

Toyota, in its infinite wisdom decided to shut off the engine if the engine oil level is low, but not if the transmission overheated. Maybe they thought the likelihood of occurrence was too low to warrant it. Anyway, I can't find any documentation to suggest the signal goes anywhere else.

AFAIK, there is no OBDII transmission temperature signal at all. The Toyota test equipment may have access to it, but the OTC OBDII tools do not. It would be nice if there was a factory Toyota tech on here that had access (either currently or in the past) to the dealer tools who could say for sure. I haven't tried using Techstream to find the signal; I'll put that on the list.
That's awesome for going into it that deep already :)

I also have an 1800 lb StarCraft RT10 "Rugged/Off Road" pop up tent camper that I'm taking out this summer. When I bought it in the last days of summer last year, I had no major issues towing it the 100 miles home, but I'd like to know what kind of temp range I'm putting my 80 through when I take it to the coast...many more (and prolonged) hills going that way. When I purchased it, I came from the Mt. Hood area to where it's now parked in Woodburn (Oregon), so mostly down hill.

Thanks,

Would love to see this done
By the way, and off topic, I was looking at your USB inserts on your page...going to be ordering two of them 👍

Apologies for highjacking your thread, but the perfect solution would be to create a board to send the OBDII and other desirable signals to, and then display that information.

Ideally you'd want to tap into the leads at the ECU terminals under the glovebox (which would be straightforward) and then you could mount the display wherever you wanted (like in that useless hole under the mid vents). That way, you wouldn't be constantly knocking your knee on the WiFi module and you could grab more data than the current OBDII phone apps provide for. A simple Arduino board could also send bluetooth signals so you could set alarms on your phone or mirror the whole display, if you wanted to do that. (I'd personally rather have the dash display, but I'm a Luddite)

For example:
1679681680684.png

Someone in the great white north (@Nasr Qaisar) has something similar for 40s going on now (posted this or last week). @jpoole should check that thread out; might be fun for a weekend's work on a rainy couple of days. (Image above not the 40 solution; completely different application)

Last edited:
What would really be nice is a diagnostic tool like the Toyota techs have to connect to the DLC 1 port, so you can get the OBD I/II data in the engine compartment for adjusting/testing/tuning use. The cables already exist and can be had for $5. The same board for the dash display would work for this one too.
1679681325949.png

1679681531543.png

The '93-'94 models can't use a bluetooth phone tool, so this isn't just a luxury item for them (me).

@DirtyPepper @jpoole
Post #9 update:

The solution I thought was a Celica was actually a Corolla. Here's the link, from an Arduino blog, with details on how the OBD I data was captured and routed. User talofer99 included his code, along with revisions (nice guy, that). It's a long read, but it looks to be fairly complete.

Also, I stated above I didn't think the data description existed in the public domain. What I should have said was that I don't think Toyota published which data they were collecting and where it was being sent. Obviously, OBD I/II protocol is published (or you would be able to buy the cables).

Last edited:
Thanks @Malleus

The setup that I will be working on will be for an odb2 + bluetooth sender + torque pro on an android. As much fun as it would be if I had the time, connecting to and translating odb1 won't make sense for me as it's a lot harder and my 80 is a '97 so has odb2 available. If I can't get this to work with odb2/torque and I want the info bad enough I'll probably just install new sensor(s) and gauges to sidestep messing with the factory stuff too much. Given how well my 80 runs and the limited tuning options it has I doubt I'll go through the trouble of adding senders/gauges and will only spend an hour or so on setting this up in torque.

Getting this to work in odb2/torque pro seems to consist of mapping out the correct sensor PID(s) in Torque Pro and then dialing in the formula for translating the sender values to something human readable. There's a good bit of discussion on this scattered around for other vehicles so the framework for how to make it work is well mapped out. My assumption though is that getting this working for the 80 will require some trial and error to find the correct PID values. Most of the odb2 discussion that I'm seeing for toyotas is from after the 90s and I won't be surprised if our early odb2 setups don't surface the sensor streams that we want, as I know the early odb2 stuff is limited and doesn't provide as much information as the later setups do. That said, I've seen a lot of untranslated information flowing in Torque when I explored it so it's definitely possible that there is more useful information to be found via odb2/torque.

If I get any non-standard information working in Torque I'll share the details on how to do it on the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom