SOLD 1997 Land Cruiser 40th Anniversary, 3x Locked, NEW Toyota 1FZ-FE engine. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Outside Link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lWLej33acvhpLYNvjQxk0qbfXtWvCiVr?usp=sharing
UPDATE: Decided to go ahead and get some of the work + fluids done at Slee. Will update listing when truck is available for sale.

Good:
- Factory Triple Locked
- Clean Title
- Interior in nice condition, except a separation in driver's seat cushion
- No cracks in dash
- No undercarriage frame rust
- Most desirable model, '97 Locked 40th Anniversary in Sage.

Exceptionally Good:
- The car was maintained (at top-dollar) by Slee Off Road
- Previous owner paid $15,000 USD (+ $2k of comped labor) for new Toyota long-block install at Slee (have receipts) at 215K miles.
- Mileage is 249k, but only 35k on this motor
- Basically, engine is like new.

Bad:
- Needs Birfields / regular front axle service (every 60k miles)
- Minor exhaust leak, could use a patch or weld somewhere
- Could use breaks + fluids
- Clear coat wear (see photos)
- Rust in one of the wheel wells
- Leather seam separation in driver seat cushion
- Dent in front bumper

Price:
Thinking $15k OBO

- Facebook price: $18k
- MUD price: $15k

This truck has $18k of recent work from Slee, so at that price -- it's like the truck itself is free... However, I'm open minded, and looking for reasonable offers too. Photos below and add'l ones here.

Thanks,
- Spence

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.47.02 PM.png

At the parking lot of Slee

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.45.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 4.13.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.47.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.47.32 PM.png

Last edited:
No idea what it's worth. How does it drive without the necessary maintenance?

15-17k . Recently purchased mine. Locked 3"lift front & rear 4xlab bumpers. Tcase low gears- rack. Higher miles but excellent shape + 300mm axles in front- tons of other little stuff that adds up quickly. Mine was 14.5 k . We look everyday for 1 for my son

Thanks Guys -

Posted her up on Facebook (again to feel-out the market) at $18k: Listing

A couple trolls came out of the woodwork, but also a few seemingly serious offers -- one test drive scheduled next week. Still not 100% on selling, but wanted to see if there's anyone here in the community looking for a 1997 - 3x Locked, 40th Anniversary.

It's "quirky" because it's definitely not mint, needs some maintenance work. But has incredibly solid bones, clean frame, and nearly $18k of Slee work (just uploaded the itemized receipts to the google drive link). The engine effectively has 35k miles --- so maybe an incredible off road build, and with a dented bumper, perfect for an ARB add-on without any hesitation.

Humbly yours,
- Spencer

I think it could benefit from some better pictures of the details, but might sell at a negotiated price as is to someone who looks in person

How does it drive? How’s the suspension? TRE/steering? Or what’s in the $6-7k estimate from slee vs what’s noted above?

Glws

It can definitely be driven as-is today. I just don't have the chops (or time) to do birfields, axles, brakes, bearings, etc. Slee (where it's parked right now) are awesome but pretty expensive. So wanted to test the market-- giving the next owner the option to do the work themselves (and for me to sell it cheaper to them). Or they could have Slee do the maintenance work.

Drives well, but it'll be much better after a front axle service -- that covers 80% of what needs to get done. There's a small exhaust leak somewhere, so it's a bit louder than it should be. Probably an easy patch. Rear driveline / loose u-joint could use replacement too. Rear axle service wouldn't be a bad idea -- most people skip, but it's a lot easier and less expensive than front axle service.

Fluids -- Slee's right now doing (1) diff fluids, (2) transfer case fluid, (3) transmission fluid, (4) wheel balance, and (5) repairing front diff locker. Also the front washer sprayer activates when rear in use -- needs a valve there. The PRNDL "D" light is out, but that's the on majority of 80's.

For anyone seriously interested, I can also share two different inspections (from a shop in Oregon, and then again here at Slee) both completed within the month. They go into excruciating detail on what needed and also optional maintenance items.

TLDR - depending on the work, it could get done for $3-$5k, but to do *everything* at Slee black-check style would be over $7k. ---> I could do it now, but figure let the next owner decide whether to pay for the work or wrench on it themselves.

Hope this helps,
- spence

Last edited:
FYI, Toyota doesn’t sell new 1FZ long blocks.

Cheers

Thanks @SNLC -- Not *anymore* at the time Slee was able to get a new short block from Toyota (includes majority of critical engine components). When assembled together with a new head, it's called a "long-block." Repair was done in 2016, -- 35k miles ago. Also - uploaded the receipts to the google drive if you're interested in taking a look. Thanks!

PS - (unrelated) I totally agreed w/ you re: that LHD Diesel on the other thread. Wanted to show a little support. Didn't like how folks were being so negative when I really felt you were doing the community a service.

Last edited:
Thanks @SNLC -- Not *anymore* at the time Slee was able to get a new one. Repair was done in 2016, -- 35k miles ago. Also - uploaded the receipts to the google drive if you're interested in taking a look. Thanks!

PS - (unrelated) I totally agreed w/ you re: that LHD Diesel on the other thread. Wanted to show a little support. Didn't like how folks were being so negative when I really felt you were doing the community a service.

Thank you. 🙏

And GLWS!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom