Builds 1997 HZJ77HV-PEU Build (Grey Poupon) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stardate 100811.15

ATF cooler mount proto-type version 2023.03.19.549 I ended up ditching the welded version in favor of re-use existing bumper mounting holes. a little awkward because they are made for M12 fasteners. would hold a really heavy oil cooler assembly :/

this worked out pretty well... was a bit of pain to the get MacGyver brackets dialed in but they give it some vibration isolation.

I'm just going to run flex tube for now as it's not very far and I want to see how well this works before I get into crazy bending hard tube. I do like hard lines over soft if possible.

View attachment 3277244

View attachment 3277245

View attachment 3277246

View attachment 3277247

Now I need to come up with a little understated yet amazingly incredible trim/screen protector assemblies to hide my precision cuts. and drill some holes to re-locate the plate. MN requires front plates.
View attachment 3277249
Do you have holes on the RH side of the bumper? Mine had one already there (maybe two?) but I just attached my front plate to that side

Do you have holes on the RH side of the bumper? Mine had one already there (maybe two?) but I just attached my front plate to that side

no my bumper is this one, I ordered a new one because I figured I would mess the one I have up doing this mod. But... it actually tuned out ok so far. I will end up painting it anyways because pretty sure cutting big holes in the chrome is going to cause it to rust. I'm ok with going black bumper. thinking I will also do it to the rear.

5210160141-1.jpg

As Willie Nelson would say, can't wait to get on the road again!

have been testing the ATF cooler. Works as expected so far. 180-190 deg f on the output side and 130-150 or so on the input side. I need to figure out a gauge setup because right now I’m just using my little hand-held guy when I stop to check it. Not the best but it does let me check ball park wise.
IMG_3826.JPG

IMG_3828.JPG

This was a big service push

rear axle assembly has now been gone thru in excruciating detail.
3rd member seems to be ok, getting warm after a drive but not too hot. good sign, will have to see what the magnet tells me here in a couple hundred miles. all new studs, washers and nuts.

Both drive shafts were removed and I pumped an entire tube of grease thru them until I got all the old gunk out of the joints. slip joints were cleaned and emptied and refilled with new grease as well. All the driveshaft hardware was replaced with OEM.

Transfer case output on the rear side seems good now, new locking nut and proper torque spec applied. Shows about 8-10 lbs on the resistance. Glad I did not have to get new shims. But the output bearing is now really noisy and I’m guessing because it was out of spec it now needs to be replaced.

All new steering linkage. new tie rod + end, new relay with new ends and steering damper as well. All just Toyota stuff nothing exotic.

I setup the length-based repair manual.

Tie Rod should be approximately 1,207 mm (47.51 in)

Relay Rod should be Approximately 960.5 mm (37.81 in)

It seems ok but it does not turn back to center quite as aggressively as I would like, so I maybe should add a tiny bit of tow in. But I think I’m going to get it put on the rack and see what it shows. I can do alignments ok on the garage floor but it’s hard finding a perfect flat level surface.

Bumper position with new brackets is good, I like it. I do miss the front porch but I like this look as well. It’s a bit higher and tighter to the body. Good for now.

IMG_3827.JPG

edit: also should mention, removed headlight emergency wash setup, it’s cool and all but the washer ends were not working so great. I will have to figure out something to fill the holes.

Also new belts, with new alternator tension bracket, block and bolt. New idler pulley/bracket/bolt as well. Mine were still functional but this makes doing belts simple and easy.

Oh also…. Should mention I’m running the manual radiator and shroud. This is a top notch radiator IMO. Everything mounted perfectly and it all lines up just like it’s made for it. huge thanks to @dcruiser666 for that post

SHROUD SUB-ASSY, FAN16711170901
RADIATOR ASSY16400170801

IMG_3830.JPG

Last edited:
Now that winter is going away it must be time to wire up the heated seats? Long ago I started to collect the stuffs. Those mechanical gremlins are now a bay, fingers’xed.

One thing I really like about Fusion 360 is the ability to import canvas. A canvas is really just a measured drawing. I must like Blue Sea stuff. They have amazing drawings on their site of all the stuffs. Red Arc Electronics, well yea they are kind of outback I guess because they don't do that stuff. Would be nice if they did? Hey Red Arc, take a look @ blue sea stuff... yea put some measured drawings out on your site? Ok enough said on that.

I have 4 leftover scraps from the great 2023 aluminum door card jamboree festival. While aluminum does not bend in the way I would trust it as a critical load bearing application. This is fine. it's fine people.

so, with the mockup's completed and 5x different 3d printer runs to see if the dimension would work... finally let plasma robot cut it. Still need to move some stuff around but there should also be enough room to mount the relays up on top.

NOW if anybody has a good suggestion about running a couple of wires thru the firewall? I’m all ears because it looks like I have to take ½ the truck apart to it thru the grommet on the left side.

red arc mount.jpg

IMG_3833.JPG

NOW if anybody has a good suggestion about running a couple of wires thru the firewall? I’m all ears because it looks like I have to take ½ the truck apart to it thru the grommet on the left side.

Man, that is beautiful. Incredible work. Certainly beats my "zip tie it in place" mounting technique.

On the right side, you have a big old hole where the clutch pedal would normally go:

1665352193602-png.3136173

On the left side, I would punch a hole right next to the evap lines and run the wires through there, behind the heater core and evap boxes. Unless you can get to the firewall behind the glove box. It's been a month since I've had mine out.

Man, that is beautiful. Incredible work. Certainly beats my "zip tie it in place" mounting technique.

On the right side, you have a big old hole where the clutch pedal would normally go:

On the left side, I would punch a hole right next to the evap lines and run the wires through there, behind the heater core and evap boxes. Unless you can get to the firewall behind the glove box. It's been a month since I've had mine out.

there is nothing wrong with zip tie certified.

zip tie.jpg

Carpet update

pretty sure I posted this up in the build but just in case

L/CRUISER 76 SERIES WAGON KIT​

I ordered

Right Hand Drive, Plush Pile Charcoal

so far so good and the back/wheel humps fit perfect, tiny bit of trimming. This is without glue or any underlayment. I will need to hit it with a bit of contact cement just to hold it into place. I don't glue carpet into place so it's hard to remove, just a bit to hang on. And Yes the secret hatch is covered.... I have some ideas... yes I want it back but for now it's covered.

comes in big plastic bag about the size of a roll of insulation.
IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG

compare of old and new side by side. new left, old right. cat is not sure yet? but the color match is pretty darn good and the quality of the carpet is as good or a bit better than original.

IMG_3836.JPG

front section... have not tried it yet... will have to wait for this weekend.

IMG_3837.JPG

Carpet update

I ordered

so far so good and the back/wheel humps fit perfect, tiny bit of trimming. This is without glue or any underlayment. I will need to hit it with a bit of contact cement just to hold it into place. I don't glue carpet into place so it's hard to remove, just a bit to hang on. And Yes the secret hatch is covered.... I have some ideas... yes I want it back but for now it's covered.

View attachment 3284775

View attachment 3284765

compare of old and new side by side. new left, old right. cat is not sure yet? but the color match is pretty darn good and the quality of the carpet is as good or a bit better than original.

View attachment 3284772

View attachment 3284776
Awesome info for other 77 owners. Not sure if I missed it but any leads on correctly fitting rubber mats that say “Landcruiser”? I think there was a group buy but it was many years ago and maybe not for 77 specifically…

proto-type version 3 on the power distribution network source bracket. Getting closer, I think. I need to put a couple of M6 studs in place for ground but I like this design because I can hide the relays and wires in the space behind the bracket. This will allow easy access to the fuse area for inspection but still keep things from getting like a rat’s nest.

I should be able to just run 2x wires thru the firewall, 1@24V+ and 1@24- Since the bracket is aluminum it should be a good earth source. I also need to add a couple of extra holes for zip tie’s since all electrical projects must include at least 1 zip tie. It’s a rule people!

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

plenty of space up behind to hide relays and wires.

IMG_3845.JPG

Awesome info for other 77 owners. Not sure if I missed it but any leads on correctly fitting rubber mats that say “Landcruiser”? I think there was a group buy but it was many years ago and maybe not for 77 specifically…

no but I would like something as well. I have hunted a couple of times now but nothing hit the "take my money button"

Right now, I'm just using this stuff. you can buy it by the foot from these guys. It's a huge pain to cut nice. have it in my other trucks and I really like them. They do a good job of catching the melty snow and stuff. I should have got black but grey is what I ordered, I guess.

IMG_3846.JPG

Carpet update

I ordered

View attachment 3284775

View attachment 3284765

View attachment 3284772

View attachment 3284776

Thank you for the carpet review. It looks like nice carpet indeed.

Regarding the rubber mats, it was a nice thing when Onur did group buys for the OZ rubber mats. I had a couple of sets from those group buys over the years which I ended up selling as I found out that I liked carpet floor mats more. Those rubber mats are still very nice and do fit well.

Last edited:
Build tip of the day

These are generic + side DIN standard Toyota terminals. Not surprisingly these are for the Avalon. But they are pretty much perfect match for the 25-year-old battery clamp that has seen much better days. I swear the old terminal was sent to a farm for old battery terminals where he could spend the rest of his days under the big old oak tree just enjoying a sunny afternoon nap. ;)

IMG_3849.JPG

All right let’s get some!
so if you remove the 2nd battery box, the one next to the firewall (accutatlly you might not need 2) but it sure makes it much easier to do this.
you will notice a little nubben, you can trim that nub off.
IMG_3850.JPG

be careful here, steady! god dam it I said steady! ok ok.
IMG_3851.JPG

if you then lube up a good size pick. stop it we are talking automotive here mister! @ about that angle and push her all the way home.

IMG_3852.JPG

and you will have to take my word for it because I can't get the camera to focus on the end of the pick but I circled it in red so you can get the general idea. Yes, you can run some wires thru here.

IMG_3853.JPG

Thank you!

How does the color compare old vs new? I'm curious if I can just replace the front carpet and have it match.
you can see the side by side above where I first posted. That said no way. your old carpet is very faded. My old carpet is almost exactly the same color in places where no sun or light ever hit the old carpet. your old carpet is likely very faded and worn? I would not expect a perfect match. plus, the old carpet is pretty cheap stuff IMO. the new carpet will be much thicker pile. The texture will look very different.

Transfer shift boot

I patterned out the transfer shift boot and of course the first one turned out marginal @ best. Also need to figure out the little magic trick to make the top turn out correctly. It looks like a lot of people either just leave it ugly seamed along the top of the volcano. I can't let that happen.

IMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom