Builds 1997 FZJ80 to HDJ80 1HD-FTE + H152F (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Their website has an aviation section...I'll look next time I fly...would be a cool connection to have in my LCs!
Rosen is actually an aviation visor supplier; cars came later for them and are much more complex because the mounts vary quite a bit—whereas aircraft visor mounts must conform to FAA specs, and planemakers tend not to switch things up every year because the approvals are freaking expensive. IIRC, they can’t change ANYthing w/o getting the entire cabin/airframe/whatever reapproved by the FAA. Visor material and tint on these are FAA spec.

Last edited:
Would you please comment on your BP-51 suspension? It looks like you might have bought the 'J' springs? What do you think of the system overall? What settings do you have front and rear? I like this build so far, when do you foresee swapping in your HDFT?

Keep up the good work!

Here are the suspension specs:

1 - OME 2850J Front Coil Springs (Pair)
2 - BP5160014 Front BP-51 Shock Assembly (Extended Length)
1 - OME BP-51 Front Fitting Kit
1 - OME 2863 Rear Coil Springs (Pair)
2 - BP5160015 Front BP-51 Shock Assembly (Extended Length)
1 - OME BP-51 Rear Fitting Kit
1 - SLEE SOF1048 Caster Correction Plate Kit
1 - OME SD24 Steering Damper

IMO, it’s a great suspension. I’ve been running one on my 200 series for over a year now and cannot complain. My current settings in this truck are 6 rebound and 4 compression all around. Now, there is literally no reason why we picked that setup. My original suspension was in need of replacement so we installed the BP-51’s. This build is evolving and I realllg did not want to start chasing a setup as we added things (like the rear bumper). It’s a nice ride for now and we will work to dial it in once the diesel/transmission swap occurs. I was ready to start the swap last week but Rob is telling me June before he can make room in his schedule.

I decided to go forward with the Morimoto bulb install in the DEPO housings.

The DEPO housings have an interesting setup for bulb installation. It took me a few minutes to figure out exactly what I was dealing with. The factory housings have a twist and lock feature for new bulbs. The DEPO housings have a spring fastener that holds the bulb in the housing. Obviously, it’s made for the bulbs that came with the housing and not the Morimoto’s. But, I finally figured it out and got things assembled back together.

The difference is pretty drastic. I was originally considering shipping these off for a projector retrofit. But now I am not so sure. The headlights are throwing off a lot of light at this point.

Before

After

I am going to take it out for spin tonight and see how well it performs.

I decided to go forward with the Morimoto bulb install in the DEPO housings.

View attachment 1917751

The DEPO housings have an interesting setup for bulb installation. It took me a few minutes to figure out exactly what I was dealing with. The factory housings have a twist and lock feature for new bulbs. The DEPO housings have a spring fastener that holds the bulb in the housing. Obviously, it’s made for the bulbs that came with the housing and not the Morimoto’s. But, I finally figured it out and got things assembled back together.

View attachment 1917753

The difference is pretty drastic. I was originally considering shipping these off for a projector retrofit. But now I am not so sure. The headlights are throwing off a lot of light at this point.

Before

View attachment 1917752

After

View attachment 1917754

I am going to take it out for spin tonight and see how well it performs.
Looks great. Can't wait to see the results. I've been wanting to do this mod but don't have the time right now to a honemade retro fit. How did you separate the headlights? Oven?

Looks great. Can't wait to see the results. I've been wanting to do this mod but don't have the time right now to a honemade retro fit. How did you separate the headlights? Oven?
I just replaced the bulbs. No time or patience to try the projector retrofit. I am considering buying another pair of DEPO’s and shipping them off for a retrofit. Just in case......

Can you show is a beam pattern of those LED lights?
@ZeGerman warned me these bulbs will blind ppl and he may be right. The beam is very concentrated and still puts out quite a bit of light around the rest of the pattern. The first photo is low beams and the second photo is high beams. I’m still adjusting.

Great thread. When do we see the snorkel installed?
Will be done at the same time as the diesel/transmission swap. The Moonlight airbox is fabricated specifically to work with the PDI intercooler. I’m hopeful to get it in the shop in the next couple of months. The only other real project I have before the swap will be the Scheel-Mann seats. I have a set in my Troopy and did some measuring today to figure out which model I wanted to order. Looking like the Vario F seats.

Will be done at the same time as the diesel/transmission swap. The Moonlight airbox is fabricated specifically to work with the PDI intercooler. I’m hopeful to get it in the shop in the next couple of months. The only other real project I have before the swap will be the Scheel-Mann seats. I have a set in my Troopy and did some measuring today to figure out which model I wanted to order. Looking like the Vario F seats.
Very intetested in Scheel-Mann as well. So many options...

Very intetested in Scheel-Mann as well. So many options...
The Scheel-Mann seats are super nice. Here is a set of Vario F XXL seats in my Troopy.

The XXL version are about 3 inches taller than the normal Vario F seat. They are really comfortable and perfect size for the Troopy’s higher roof line. But, they would be too tall IMO for the 80 series. The color is great though.

I’m still considering some of the other Scheel-Mann models, including the one with the bottom seat that flips up for storage underneath. Once I make that decision I can get the order placed. I have already bought my mounting brackets from Planted.

The Scheel-Mann seats are super nice. Here is a set of Vario F XXL seats in my Troopy.

View attachment 1918318

The XXL version are about 3 inches taller than the normal Vario F seat. They are really comfortable and perfect size for the Troopy’s higher roof line. But, they would be too tall IMO for the 80 series. The color is great though.

I’m still considering some of the other Scheel-Mann models, including the one with the bottom seat that flips up for storage underneath. Once I make that decision I can get the order placed. I have already bought my mounting brackets from Planted.
Q: Curious why Planted not Wedge? And does S-M not offer brackets?

@jaymar got any installed pics?

Rosen Visors - Size Comparison

Notes: Shot from atop DS headrest at max extension, steering wheel tilted up to max. This makes visors appear to ride a little lower than they actually do. The big one will clear the wheel (though not by much when wheel is all the way up) but (for me) is just too unwieldy. It also bangs into or covers (depending on visor position) part of the stock mirror. Much better coverage though, YMMV. Love the smaller one.

Green arrow points to bend in larger visor, which helps with side clearance when raised. Smaller one fits into factory headliner detent.

Cannot flip the big one to place wing by mirror without cutting and drilling the lens.

Visor slides on mount and locks in desired position, mount also tilts down, so there’s really not much area covered by the big one that the small one can’t cover as well.

Recommend small visor and a broad brim hat when driving directly into low sun. Another advantage of the small one: you can keep partway down (above eyeline) at night and tilt your head up as high-beams pass. Do NOT use this way unless there’s a LOT of light in front of you, as these visors block 98% of visible light.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Rosen Visors - Size Comparison

Notes: Shot from atop DS headrest at max extension, steering wheel tilted up to max. This makes visors appear to ride a little lower than they actually do. The big one will clear the wheel (though not by much when wheel is all the way up) but (for me) is just too unwieldy. It also bangs into or covers (depending on visor position) part of the stock mirror. Much better coverage though, YMMV. Love the smaller one.

Green arrow points to bend in larger visor, which helps with side clearance when raised. Smaller one fits into factory headliner detent.

Cannot flip the big one to place wing by mirror without cutting and drilling the lens.

Visor slides on mount and locks in desired position, mount also tilts down, so there’s really not much area covered by the big one that the small one can’t cover as well.

Recommend small visor and a broad brim hat when driving directly into low sun. Another advantage of the small one: you can keep partway down (above eyeline) at night and tilt your head up as high-beams pass. Do NOT use this way unless there’s a LOT of light in front of you, as these visors block 98% of visible light.

Small visor in photos VERY dusty, Clean visibility is better than this.

Hope this helps!

View attachment 1918627View attachment 1918628View attachment 1918629

View attachment 1918709

View attachment 1918711

Very helpful. Can you PM me or post the part number? I may see if those will work in the Troopy.

Very helpful. Can you PM me or post the part number? I may see if those will work in the Troopy.
PMing. Photos taken on an overcast day, contrast much higher on sunny days.

Last edited:
I’ll give him a call. I ordered my bulbs from that place. BTW @ZeGerman how are you liking your intercooler setup? I saw your truck when it was at Rob’s shop.
I absolutely love the intercooler. Rob took an off the shelf intercooler and modified it to be just extremely efficient at cooling. He also added the external tank which houses about one more gallon of fluid and changed the pump to the Bosch pump. His welds are superb!! No matter what I do, I can not get it over 1020 fahrenheit. Cruising down the highway at 75mph I don't see temps higher than 650 Fahrenheit. Rob really knows what he is doing!!! One of the best in the business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom